News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, February 01, 2024, 07:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I should get to work writing my referee report, then I have some class reading to finish, along with some reading for my second translation project.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 02, 2024, 03:28:52 PMFebruary goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleagues - should be submittable soon
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague - R&R, ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on book project #1
  • Make progress on book project #2 with colleague
  • Revise book chapter with colleague

Working on paper #1 today and tomorrow.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on February 23, 2024, 02:10:11 PMI got the last book from the library I need as background for writing my book, so hopefully I will have that read and can get rolling next week on writing!

Argh, the library had given me the wrong edition of the book and I did not notice until I was typing up notes from it. I just re-requested the most recent version so I can cite the latest edition as a source. Nevertheless, I plunged into expanding the first chapter of the book manuscript. I forgot to track how many words I added but it is certainly "getting there" so I am happy! I also stumbled across a dissertation from 2023 that may be of interest. I blocked out time to work on the book manuscript every day so I hope to get into a groove and make reasonable progress!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 26, 2024, 09:26:32 AMI should get to work writing my referee report, then I have some class reading to finish, along with some reading for my second translation project.

Wrote and submitted the report, but was interrupted before I could quite finish the reading I wanted to get done.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll finish that reading on the commute, and start plugging in my last 600 words.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 27, 2024, 07:59:57 AMI'll finish that reading on the commute, and start plugging in my last 600 words.

Finished and started.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Trying to rustle up some words on my commute.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 02, 2024, 03:28:52 PMFebruary goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleagues - should be submittable soon
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague - R&R, ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on book project #1
  • Make progress on book project #2 with colleague
  • Revise book chapter with colleague

I should really work on the book chapter with colleague, which is due back to the editor in mid-March, but I just can't bring myself to open up the dataset and start fiddling with it.

My other projects are in limbo (either under review or on coauthors' desks) and I'm feeling pretty disinterested in general at the moment, so I may just focus on some service and grading tasks for the next few days, then try to come back to research next week.

If anything, I may start tinkering with book project #1 again - getting an new chapter in motion.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 28, 2024, 10:46:07 AMTrying to rustle up some words on my commute.

Rustled up 900 of them. I'm basically done, unless I decide to comb over the translation one last time to make sure I didn't overegg anything.

I also got a rejection with no comments and sent that paper back out again.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I want to check up on a thing I may have missed for the translation intro. Then... I dunno. Something else.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 29, 2024, 06:34:02 AMI want to check up on a thing I may have missed for the translation intro. Then... I dunno. Something else.

Checked and rejected, did some spot-checking and reading.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Report:

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 01, 2024, 07:51:51 AMMonthly goals:

• Write promo blurb for someone's book.
    • Finish expanding my translator's introduction for the contracted manuscript.
    • Generate a long abstract for a conference presentation.
    • Start working on March's conference presentation.

Stretch:

• Finish up that straggling book chapter.

That's fine (especially since I had to generate 10k additional words for my intro) . I also refereed a paper, sent a couple back out, and proofed another. That's acceptable progress.[/list]
I know it's a genus.