News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What are you doing for election day?

Started by nonsensical, November 03, 2020, 04:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 03, 2020, 07:38:23 AM
It was said we would watch some Fox News this evening, so I'll spend the day doing teaching things and not thinking about it. Best to approach that kind of viewing with a blankish slate, I think. Shudder.

Correction: we have made a google spreadsheet with our predictions for each state, and our closest friends are adding theirs. Should be somewhat entertaining. Nothing like gamifying a terrible thing.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

My husband and I voted this morning.  I was dressed warmly in anticipation of having to stand in the cold for a long time, but actually, we just walked right in and were out in under five minutes.  It couldn't have been easier.

I came home and graded quizzes.  Went to yoga class.  Started some honey-whole wheat bread, which is now rising.  The rest of the day will be a combination of checking the news obsessively, running errands, writing a new quiz, and baking that bread.

I haven't read any reports yet of voter intimidation or self-appointed militias showing up at polling places.  This is encouraging.  But the day is not over yet. 

AmLitHist

I taught how to evaluate sources in my Comp II and the context of Transcendentalism and Emerson's "The American Scholar" in my lit class (both highly appropriate to the day).

Online office hours for another hour or so, and then to the store to stock up on junk food for the siege tonight.  I've been way off my diabetic diet for weeks now, and though I've tried to be good since this past weekend, I'm a stress eater by nature, so bring on the peanut butter M&Ms and BBQ Lays and a frozen pizza. 

sinenomine

i hate the wait during major elections. I voted by mail, so today has been spent with the TV off and the computer on, as I've been recording videos for classes, researching materials for an upcoming presentation, and assisting faculty with submissions of materials for Spring courses. Once I log off, I'll have an early dinner, turn off all devices, and go to bed early with a light novel. I'll catch up with the news tomorrow.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

onehappyunicorn

Trying to work but not really accomplishing much, I got all of my grading done yesterday. I voted 3 weeks ago so just waiting at this point. I'll probably make some very bad food decisions tonight, I don't drink so maybe some Ben & Jerry's or something.

RatGuy

Board game night at my house. The idea is to distract some of us from becoming to riddled with anxiety. Plus it gives me an excuse to play the new PARKS expansion, "Nightfall."

spork

Working on a job application and grading. Probably will eat pancakes for dinner, which for me is a comfort food.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

kaysixteen

Had a vacation day to spare so I took it today.  Slept in, and now am watching sports call-in show (Felger & Mazz) on tv.   Have been spending some time on FB, which I probably know better than to be doing (some Trumpanzees I know there are making comments, and *predictions*, that are at more or less total variance with reality (unless more or less every poll, even those released on Fox News, are wrong).   I confess I am more confident than in 2016, but there remains a nagging doubt (and this is not even to consider the prospects for what Trump will do tonight, and going forward).

fourhats

Morris Zapp

Zooming with my students and then drinking.  I would SO like to reverse that order right now . . .

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Quote from: spork on November 03, 2020, 01:19:22 PM
Working on a job application and grading. Probably will eat pancakes for dinner, which for me is a comfort food.

I was just contemplating pancakes, too.

With an orange marmalade/maple syrup drizzle....

Mmmmmm....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

I was just talking (virtually) with a student who is so stressed out b/c the outcome of the election could impact whether she stays in the US.  She is very worried.

So we talked about the class and the things she can control.  Many tears later, she was ready to get back to the tasks of the day to day.  And now she understands Brontosaurus as well.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Langue_doc

hmaria1609

Heard the updates and interviews with reporters on WTOP Radio during my commute home from the library earlier.

At the library: Directed folks to the ballot drop box as they came
Did lots of processing of incoming materials
Foot traffic fell off after 5 pm.