Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Honesty Party

Started by marshwiggle, February 17, 2022, 07:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 17, 2022, 12:06:02 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 17, 2022, 11:32:18 AM
The answer is to get rid of political "parties" altogether.

Their purpose has always been to separate demographics and provide ready-made voting blocks for politicians to manipulate.

Well, in principle the idea of national parties means that a party has to consider what's good for the whole country, whereas if there were no parties everyone would just be out for what was good for their constituents. Of course, over time parties do develop regional strongholds, but I can't think of a good way to get independent members to place a high priority on the national interest.

Political parties are no longer a benefit, no matter what their purview should be. 

American citizens, at least, are very aware of being "Americans." 

I don't think eliminating political parties would erase that.

And the whole problem with political parties is that politicians do exclusively think of their constituents and are very ready to play on their hysterias and bigotries to stay elected or ramrod though some bit of partisan legislation.

Perhaps we could hear from someone in history or political science on this issue?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 17, 2022, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on February 17, 2022, 12:06:02 PM

Their purpose has always been to separate demographics and provide ready-made voting blocks for politicians to manipulate.

Well, in principle the idea of national parties means that a party has to consider what's good for the whole country, whereas if there were no parties everyone would just be out for what was good for their constituents. Of course, over time parties do develop regional strongholds, but I can't think of a good way to get independent members to place a high priority on the national interest.

Political parties are no longer a benefit, no matter what their purview should be. 

American citizens, at least, are very aware of being "Americans." 

I don't think eliminating political parties would erase that.

And the whole problem with political parties is that politicians do exclusively think of their constituents and are very ready to play on their hysterias and bigotries to stay elected or ramrod though some bit of partisan legislation.

Perhaps we could hear from someone in history or political science on this issue?

What if there were some sort of threshhold parties would have to reach geographically; e.g. "X percent of members from each of Y regions"?
The Canadian constitution has an amending formula like that requiring  a the approval of a minimum number of provincial legislatures. "There must be at least seven provinces that approve the change, representing at least 50% of Canada's population."

If parties could not have certain powers unless they met some criteria like that, then they'd need to broaden their support.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

"Honesty Party," like in when you all get together and eat and play 'Truth or Dare' all night?

<<runs off to hide...>>

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Aster

We already have an Honesty Party. I read it on the internet today.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/tech/trump-app-beta/index.html

Everything here will be the Truth. Because "Truth" is in its name.

mahagonny

Quote from: Aster on February 17, 2022, 01:13:38 PM

And on the same day, almost, the democratic party has let us know that they alone believe that black lives matter, echoing the racially oppressive statement from our radical President 'if you haven't figured out whether you're for me or you're for Donald Trump, you ain't black.'

"Black Lives Matter filings reveal prominent Democratic lawyer Marc Elias and another longtime ally of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have taken on key roles in the charity amid scrutiny over its leadership and finances.

"Elias, best known for his funding of British ex-spy Christopher Steele's discredited anti-Trump dossier while he served as Clinton's 2016 campaign general counsel, appears to be representing the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation through his recently formed Elias Law Group. BLM's national organization repeatedly lists the Elias firm as one of its addresses and states in its short-year 2020 Form 990 that its books were now in the care of the Elias Law Group.

"Additionally, Minyon Moore, a longtime top ally of both Bill and Hillary Clinton, is now listed as part of BLM's board of directors in the charity's filings.

"It's not clear when BLM's relationships with Elias Law Group and Moore began."  -Washington Examiner

I expect you've all been following developments: with the founder having split from BLM after amassing a fortune no one would admit to being in charge. That's all changed now. Maybe they should just change the democratic party name to 'the Party That Doesn't Hate BIPOCs.'

Of course, BLM is now more exposed and unpopular than ever, so this could turn out to be a a liability. At a time when a few tepid democrat voices are saying 'uh...Marxism, no...abolish the police and the nuclear family, no' ("a Cry From the Far Middle?" - thank you, P. J. O'Rourke) the democratic establishment says 'yeah, that's us.'

Aster

Quote from: mahagonny on February 17, 2022, 09:06:15 PM

And on the same day, almost, the democratic party has let us know that they alone believe that black lives matter, echoing the racially oppressive statement from our radical President 'if you haven't figured out whether you're for me or you're for Donald Trump, you ain't black.'

"Black Lives Matter filings reveal prominent Democratic lawyer Marc Elias and another longtime ally of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have taken on key roles in the charity amid scrutiny over its leadership and finances.

"Elias, best known for his funding of British ex-spy Christopher Steele's discredited anti-Trump dossier while he served as Clinton's 2016 campaign general counsel, appears to be representing the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation through his recently formed Elias Law Group. BLM's national organization repeatedly lists the Elias firm as one of its addresses and states in its short-year 2020 Form 990 that its books were now in the care of the Elias Law Group.

"Additionally, Minyon Moore, a longtime top ally of both Bill and Hillary Clinton, is now listed as part of BLM's board of directors in the charity's filings.

"It's not clear when BLM's relationships with Elias Law Group and Moore began."  -Washington Examiner

I expect you've all been following developments: with the founder having split from BLM after amassing a fortune no one would admit to being in charge. That's all changed now. Maybe they should just change the democratic party name to 'the Party That Doesn't Hate BIPOCs.'

Of course, BLM is now more exposed and unpopular than ever, so this could turn out to be a a liability. At a time when a few tepid democrat voices are saying 'uh...Marxism, no...abolish the police and the nuclear family, no' ("a Cry From the Far Middle?" - thank you, P. J. O'Rourke) the democratic establishment says 'yeah, that's us.'

Wow. You went full Tucker Carlson. Here we have overly broad, manufactured generalizations, which are supported by cherry-picked news snippets that themselves don't actually say anything, are not relevant, or are purely speculative in nature.

If you are trying to somehow link this mismashed series of statements into the thread topic, I do not feel that this is a good way to go about it.

Unless your entire post was total and utter satire. In that case sir, I salute you! That was some A-grade beef.

mahagonny

I nominate Aster to run Black Lives Matter. Here's some information to get you started.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/06/08/black-lives-matter-americans-are-divided-movement

ETA: since BLM has turned out to be like a political hot potato I thought they could use some serious brainpower over there! People are saying things like 'where did all that money end up? And why are people running from it?' And not only conservatives are wondering.
What BLM's friends are saying about BLM: 'Everybody calm down. They don't really believe the things they believe.'
(I don't know that my post was strongly relevant to Marshy's interesting questions in the opening post, but probably about as relevant as your  post about Trump.)

downer

Are there any countries which have done this, apart from China and Russia?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on February 18, 2022, 07:11:11 AM

I can't say as to countries, but in Canada the 3 territories don't have parties in their legislatures. (They also have really small populations, compared to the provinces.)

ciao_yall

Quote from: Aster on February 18, 2022, 05:47:03 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 17, 2022, 09:06:15 PM

Wow. You went full Tucker Carlson. Here we have overly broad, manufactured generalizations, which are supported by cherry-picked news snippets that themselves don't actually say anything, are not relevant, or are purely speculative in nature.

If you are trying to somehow link this mismashed series of statements into the thread topic, I do not feel that this is a good way to go about it.

Unless your entire post was total and utter satire. In that case sir, I salute you! That was some A-grade beef.

I'm pretty sure mahoganny is a Russian troll sent here to recruit unhappy adjuncts to the MAGA world by convincing them that the academic world is their enemy. And that their only true friend is the same party that is trying to shut down public education. Not sure how that will work out for the unhappy adjuncts but hey...

mahagonny

Wahoo Redux

Regardless, political parties in America have simply become liabilities and are threatening democracy.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 18, 2022, 06:39:24 PM

Regardless, political parties in America have simply become liabilities and are threatening democracy.

How would you avoid them? (Honest question) It seems to me that informal coalitions would have to form to pass any legislation, and then it gets to informal horse-trading ("If you vote for my Bill X I'll vote for your Bill Y" and so on. Then formalizing the coalition makes it more efficient, etc.

(Now, rules regarding funding, procedures, etc. that favour members of recognized parties is another thing, but  people wearing "team shirts" seems inevitable.)

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 18, 2022, 06:39:24 PM

As a registered democrat who's been having a political reckoning in the last several years, I don't agree that the republican party is threatening us. It needs to find out for itself if Trumpism can be assimilated into something broader and more unifying.
All I hear from you, Wahoo, dear boy, is an admission that the democratic party is sick in the head. Congratulations! But your opinion that the republican party is beyond redemption is apparently just a standard hyper-partisan attitude that goes back years. Misery loves company.

Thing is, Trump was necessary, because he figured out (or maybe naturally possessed) a way to stand up to the toxic political correct culture (now called wokeism). I wish there had been a way to stand up to it that I liked better, but I can't think of one, and he filled the role.

If I got to construct a way out of the current mess it would be a young black Reaganesque republican president. Someone who could dispose of the radical democratic ideological bullying junk without sounding mean.

ETA:

I'm pretty sure mahoganny is a Russian troll sent here to recruit unhappy adjuncts to the MAGA world by convincing them that the academic world is their enemy. And that their only true friend is the same party that is trying to shut down public education. Not sure how that will work out for the unhappy adjuncts but hey...

Long as you brought it up, ciao_yall: I'm sincerely interested. what in your estimate are the current prevailing, commonest attitudes toward the academic world among adjunct faculty?

ciao_yall

Quote from: mahagonny on February 19, 2022, 06:56:51 AM

Long as you brought it up, ciao_yall: I'm sincerely interested. what in your estimate are the current prevailing, commonest attitudes toward the academic world among adjunct faculty?

I'm sure the ones who would like a full-time job are more focused on trying to grow higher education to create opportunities for themselves. Or deciding it isn't going to work out for them and putting their skills and education to work in ways that will meet their personal and professional goals.

Those who don't wish to make a career in higher education are probably focused on their main careers or other factors outside of their lives, and getting whatever personal benefit they get out of teaching.

Anyone who works in an environment and comes in full of resentment like you, mahagonny tends to drown in their own miserable bitter stew before long.

That's why I don't think you are for real.

My pet theory is that you are getting paid by some Russian troll farm to get in character and fool around on this board before you go home to a shot of vodka and watch RT to see if you are going to get drafted to invade Ukraine or play on the ROC curling team.