News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

classroom stabbing at U of Waterloo

Started by traductio, June 29, 2023, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traductio

At the risk of starting a trainwreck thread, I wanted to post this story about a stabbing yesterday in a gender studies class at the University of Waterloo, in southern Ontario:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/university-waterloo-stabbings-1.6891832

A student has been charged, and the police believe the attack was hate-motivated:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/emergency-alert-university-waterloo-stabbing-watsafe-1.6892506

waterboy

I really miss those days when the worst news was that the Red Sox had dropped another one...
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Parasaurolophus

FWIW, my understanding is that this was a philosophy of gender class. I have a friend who regularly teaches that class there, though I know she's away for the summer. My suspicion, since it's summer, is that the instructor is just a graduate student.

Waterloo's department is an especially friendly one, with a very supportive departmental community. Violence of this kind attacks that, too
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

This is not surprising.  The rhetoric about gender is very intemperate, particularly from the right. The conspiracy network is very strong.  What is too bad is that these sorts of incidents, like Jan. 6th, will not initiate any soul searching.   

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

MarathonRunner

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 29, 2023, 01:22:04 PMFWIW, my understanding is that this was a philosophy of gender class. I have a friend who regularly teaches that class there, though I know she's away for the summer. My suspicion, since it's summer, is that the instructor is just a graduate student.

Waterloo's department is an especially friendly one, with a very supportive departmental community. Violence of this kind attacks that, too

Not a graduate student. The victim is an associate professor at UWaterloo.

Also statement from the philosophy department:
QuoteWe are horrified, saddened, and outraged by the attack on our campus community yesterday, in which a professor and two students were stabbed during a Gender Issues class. Gender Issues is a cross-listed class in Philosophy and in the Gender and Social Justice (GSJ) program. Our thoughts are with our colleague and students who were injured, the students in the class who witnessed the attack, our students in Gender and Social Justice and Philosophy, and the entire University of Waterloo community. We stand in solidarity with the many teachers and scholars across the world whose ideas expose them to violence and hate. We are committed to continuing to teach and research topics in gender, social justice, and beyond.

downer

The professor has been named, as has the assailant. See Daily Nous.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis