News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Well, I didn't want anyone to think that I would harm any of the fae or supernatural creatures down here.

That was a cute story about the braces and ice cream sounds good.

Puget

Too hot for real cooking today, so:

Chunks of garden tomatoes and fresh mozzarella tossed with leftover homemade pesto.
Fresh from the bread machine sourdough with garlic butter
Corn on the cob form the CSA, slathered in butter and sprinkled with chili lime seasoning salt
Post walk, mixed berry smoothy with a little vanilla ice cream in it for dessert.

Hobbits would probably incorporate more dishes, but I am most satisfied.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on July 19, 2020, 07:49:03 PM
Too hot for real cooking today, so:

Chunks of garden tomatoes and fresh mozzarella tossed with leftover homemade pesto.
Fresh from the bread machine sourdough with garlic butter
Corn on the cob form the CSA, slathered in butter and sprinkled with chili lime seasoning salt
Post walk, mixed berry smoothy with a little vanilla ice cream in it for dessert.

Hobbits would probably incorporate more dishes, but I am most satisfied.

Wow. I wouldn't mind a dinner invitation.

ab_grp

+1 to the wish for a dinner invitation to that fresh feast!

We made a cheesesteak sloppy joe recipe last night with some roasted sweet and mini potatoes and a large side of elote to use up older corn.  The sloppy joe flavor was interesting... it sort of tasted like the types of cheesesteaks they make out this way.   It was spicier than I had anticipated.  I'm not sure I would make it again because it was a bit more work and not as good as a cheesesteak or sloppy joe.  But, it was a fun experiment, and it gave us some easy lunch leftovers while I await a package or two I will have to sign for.  I am surprised the grocery shopper was able to find brioche buns!

Stockmann

spaghetti with olives, cheese and homemade pasta sauce containing: two cloves of garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, red pepper, Dijon mustard and chia seeds as thickener.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Stockmann on July 21, 2020, 06:46:36 PM
spaghetti with olives, cheese and homemade pasta sauce containing: two cloves of garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, red pepper, Dijon mustard and chia seeds as thickener.

Drool.

mamselle

Eggless Benedict for dinner (cause I had it half-prepped before I realized I was out of eggs...!): it was good!

English muffin, split, Black Pepper deli-sliced Turkey, Vermont Seiously cheddar, with bacon and a dollop of cooked spinach on top. Slathered in Bernaise-like sauce, consumed with tea and a cookie (Mint Milano) for dessert.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Economizer

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

ab_grp

Our timing got messed up due to the package delivery and stormy weather, so we ended up with BLTs.  Perhaps we will actually be able to prepare a planned meal tonight.

secundem_artem

If you cannot cook while drunk, you don't actually know how to cook. 

(Do we still have a PWP thread??)
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 24, 2020, 03:20:20 PM
If you cannot cook while drunk, you don't actually know how to cook. 

(Do we still have a PWP thread??)

Yes, there is a thread around here somewhere! I don't typically have too much trouble, though there have been interesting cooking sessions.

One meal I meant to mention that we made recently was chicken jalfrezi (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/28372/chicken-jalfrezi/).  I have seen it described as similar to chicken tikka masala.  I also thought it tasted a bit like a south Indian curry we had at one time.  This recipe was very quick and easy and very delicious.  We had it with jasmine rice and some steamed broccoli on the side.  A friend sent it a while back, and I have been meaning to get to it, so I'm glad we finally did.

apl68

Made a batch of Kodiak Cakes blueberry muffins last night.  They're good.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Got ToGo from Olive Garden for dinner.

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 24, 2020, 03:20:20 PM(Do we still have a PWP thread??)
Yep, here it is: http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1277.0
I found it at the top of p. 6.  By the way, there are lots of good threads that went by the wayside.

Puget

I made a blueberry upside-down cake this weekend which is providing all my desserts this week. I use the rosemary plum upside-down cake from the Bittman How to Cook Everything Vegetarian book as the master recipe and just use whatever types of fruit are in season-- I've also done strawberry rhubarb, nectarine, apple and pear in addition to the original-- all were good. It's a very easy cake, and equally suitable for breakfast, coffee break or dessert.

Looks like someone has transcribed it here:
https://medium.com/@plansvegan/plum-rosemary-upside-down-cake-beeb1e59aa2b

Do use the cast-iron pan rather than a cake pan-- it makes for a lovely caramelized top.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

That sounds amazing, Puget. SO made banana walnut muffins for breakfasts (and maybe desserts).