paultuttle

Quote from: mamselle on April 04, 2022, 03:49:04 PM
For you, maybe...

;--}

Oh, wait, I get it.

You wish it really WERE over....

Sorry.

M.

Still wishing. This year has been . . . difficult.

dr_evil

Quote from: paultuttle on May 04, 2022, 11:22:02 AM
Quote from: mamselle on April 04, 2022, 03:49:04 PM
For you, maybe...

;--}

Oh, wait, I get it.

You wish it really WERE over....

Sorry.

M.

Still wishing. This year decade has been . . . difficult.

FIFY. Now am I speaking about the past 10 years, or the decade that began in 2020 and feels like 10 years?

mamselle

I have a feeling my minor grousing, which I was going to post, is miniscule compared to those of the past two posts.

Good thoughts to both.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

NewDean, you are an idiot, a liar, and a scumbag. Find a NewChair. I quit.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

arcturus

Dear Stu -

Why are we holding a fast-tracked appeal hearing for your instance of academic misconduct? You have already dropped the class. Even if you win, which you won't, it will have no consequence since changing the grade on the assignment, in the way you so helpfully suggest, will have no impact on your grade...because you dropped the class. Also, if you thought you would win the appeal, why did you drop the class? I was such a push-over that you could still have passed the class even with the penalty originally imposed on this assignment. So, if you need these 3 credits of GenEd science so that you can graduate this week, why didn't you stick it out and try to do well on the remaining assignments? I really want to know why you are wasting my time, the dean of student's time, and that of the faculty and students on the panel who have to listen to your explanation of how you did not mean to do anything wrong, so should not be held accountable for what you did do, which was egregiously wrong. I am particularly troubled by your inability to recognize your errors in the context of your future career plans. You are not ready for the real world, where your actions will get your fired. Indeed, fired in a very public way, such that you will have difficulty finding a new job afterwards. Please just accept the penalty (which, again, has no effect, since you dropped the class...), learn from this experience, and move on.

Signed: Grumpy professor that thought this was behind us when the cheating student dropped the class.

EdnaMode

Quote from: arcturus on May 04, 2022, 03:11:47 PM
Dear Stu -

Why are we holding a fast-tracked appeal hearing for your instance of academic misconduct? You have already dropped the class. ...

Signed: Grumpy professor that thought this was behind us when the cheating student dropped the class.

Wow! At my institution, once academic integrity violations have been filed, the student cannot drop the course until it is resolved. And if they admit guilt, or are found guilty on appeal, they cannot drop the course. If they're found not guilty, they can go ahead and drop if they want.

Here's what I wish I could say today...

Dear Stu,

I strongly suggest that in the future you do not send your professor a detailed, lengthy rant on how to improve the final exam so "everyone" will have a chance at a good grade until after the exams have been graded and final grades sent to the registrar. It does not leave a particularly good impression on the person grading your work. Not that I won't be fair, but...

All the best,

Dr. Mode
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

downer

Dear University
Don't bother asking me with your automated emails to encourage students to complete the course evaluation forms.
If it doesn't work sending students automated emails telling them to do the evaluations, why should it work sending ones to me?
I am not interested in helping your bogus enterprise.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Larimar

Quote from: downer on May 05, 2022, 06:53:18 AM
Dear University
Don't bother asking me with your automated emails to encourage students to complete the course evaluation forms.
If it doesn't work sending students automated emails telling them to do the evaluations, why should it work sending ones to me?

+1 to this. I believe I've done my part by verbally encouraging doing the evaluations twice, and putting up two LMS announcements with links. One student asked if doing the evaluation was required, and I admitted it is not. I can't require the students to do the evaluation (for them required means graded), and most students aren't gonna do anything they don't absolutely have to. So far only 1 student in my class has done it. Only one did from last quarter too. I hope I don't get in trouble for this.

Larimar

apl68

Quote from: Larimar on May 05, 2022, 08:39:18 AM
Dear University

+1 to this. I believe I've done my part by verbally encouraging doing the evaluations twice, and putting up two LMS announcements with links. One student asked if doing the evaluation was required, and I admitted it is not. I can't require the students to do the evaluation (for them required means graded), and most students aren't gonna do anything they don't absolutely have to. So far only 1 student in my class has done it. Only one did from last quarter too. I hope I don't get in trouble for this.

Larimar

Surely no more than any other instructor at the place, if this lack of student interest in the evaluations is a general thing.  They can't punish every instructor for not doing something few, if any, instructors have been able to do in the first place.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

arcturus

Quote from: apl68 on May 05, 2022, 08:51:02 AM
Quote from: Larimar on May 05, 2022, 08:39:18 AM
Dear University

Larimar

Surely no more than any other instructor at the place, if this lack of student interest in the evaluations is a general thing.  They can't punish every instructor for not doing something few, if any, instructors have been able to do in the first place.
My university has encouraged us to set aside time to do the online course evaluation forms in class. You know, just like we used to set aside time to do course evaluations with the old bubble sheet forms. Except, you know, the argument for going to online evaluation forms - despite faculty protest that this would likely reduce the response rate - was that this would provide more instructional time, since we would no longer be using class time to complete the course evaluations.

I know that this is heresy, but I do not find the student evaluations of my courses to be of any use.

downer

Student feedback can be useful in some cases, mostly extreme ones.
It is not in my interest to encourage students to write their feedback. So I don't plan to do so.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

RatGuy

To the hospital staff: if you won't let me visit my wife, and won't let her call me, then you should give me updates. She's been with you since Tuesday evening, and so far there's no treatment plan nor agenda for her discharge. But keeping the spouse in the dark is just not acceptable.

AmLitHist

So sorry to hear Mrs. Rat is ill, Ratguy!  And that is definitely NOT acceptable.  Sometimes you have to be that spouse; I have been that wife many times, and I don't care what the nursing staff calls me, so long as they do what they should do and keep me informed.  Sending good thoughts to you both.

Re:  student feedback, everyone here is having similar problems getting student to fill out the blessed forms. Then again, when I can't get them to turn in homework, discussion boards, and even major essays, why would anyone expect them to turn in a faculty eval?

mamselle

Quote from: RatGuy on May 06, 2022, 11:42:12 AM
To the hospital staff: if you won't let me visit my wife, and won't let her call me, then you should give me updates. She's been with you since Tuesday evening, and so far there's no treatment plan nor agenda for her discharge. But keeping the spouse in the dark is just not acceptable.

I agree that this is not proper at all.

Are you speaking to the nurse-in-charge/nurse-manager (they have different titles, sometimes) or a floor nurse?

You could also ask to speak to the hospital social worker, who is often in charge of discharge planning.

As well as the admitting MD, of course...it's not a state secret, it's a family member's health planning that's at interest!

Or try the hospital chaplain, whether or not you are a member of a faith community they represent, or any faith community at all.

Very much hope you get it sorted out very soon.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dr_evil

Quote from: arcturus on May 05, 2022, 09:12:32 AM
I know that this is heresy, but I do not find the student evaluations of my courses to be of any use.

I used to find them mildly entertaining with an occasional piece of useful feedback. Now they're just whining that Evil Science is hard and therefore I'm evil. I suppose, with my name here, I shouldn't feel insulted.

Quote from: RatGuy on May 06, 2022, 11:42:12 AM

That's just insane. I hope Mrs. Rat gets better and back home soon!