News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Got a 2fer! It seems like an obvious one, so maybe we have the same one, cathwen.   Though you come up with more interesting ones, so probably not. 

Still not to genius yet with lots of points left.  Good grief! I'm just working on it here and there while listening to my book.  Of course, I just realized that I didn't finish the crossword yet.

ab_grp

Okay, finally got the third pangram and made great, heroic strides.  But I still have 14 words left! Argh! Guessing we will be comparing soon.  We haven't had one this long in a long time, or at least it seems like it to me.

cathwen

Good morning!

I did not get QB yesterday, even with hints.  I missed lacteal and memetic.  And I got other words with 2LL hints, words I should not have needed hints for.  I think I just lost patience because the puzzle was so long.

Today I have five words to go.  The pangram was my third word, but after that, it took me ages to get to Genius. 

LB:  I had pyritic-catheterization.  No 2fer today so far!

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning, and Happy Mother's Day.

QB.

Gave up on the bee yesterday after getting 60 words and 310 points. That in itself was quite an accomplishment.

ranch/hypnotize

Crosswords were done last night, but grading awaits.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I had two pangrams and forty words yesterday, but was nowhere near Genius.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBwH yesterday, but I did find titmice completely on my own! LB was cryptozoic-cheapen.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Finally found a 2fer!  And I got to QBABM. 

Lots of good answers to yesterday's LB!  Congratulations, Langue_doc and ciao_yall!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got a bit past genius today but still have plenty of puzzling to do all around.  Congrats on your QBs today, Langue_doc and cathwen! Yesterday we ended up having team QB despite each missing 3 or 4 words.  I needed help with titmice among others.  I am not sure I will ever remember that one.

For LB, I guess I was closest to Langue_doc with reach-hypnotize.  Definitely lots of interesting solutions! Congrats on getting another one today, cathwen!

Happy Mother's Day and happy solving!

Langue_doc

Here are the NYT bird words; the titmouse is the last one on this list:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/crosswords/crosswords-aviary.html

As for our local titmice, here is an example:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tufted_Titmouse/id#

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I think I have seen that article before.  Thanks for sharing it, because I had forgotten about it.  And the titmice are cute! I don't know why they keep escaping me.

ciao_yall

QBwH - What is a railbird, anyway? I looked it up once but keep forgetting.

LB was a circle of 3fers and 2fer b4ss including samovar-rebating, naivete-embargos, virgins-steamboat, gambits-sovereign. Ended up getting a hint for verbiage-entombs.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

It was a slog today to get to genius. I think the pangram was my second or third word.

Last word yesterday was rabbi.

Happy solving!

ETA: Just saw an email from the NYT with the heading "Guess whose birthday it is?" Turns out that QB is Beeatrice!

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with pangram this morning, but I agree with Langue_doc, getting to Genius was a slog. 

My last word yesterday was bazaar.

LB:  I had rivage-entombs, which is different from the NYT answer, so I'm looking forward to seeing other possibilities.   I have a 2fer for today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I'm past genius but still have a few words left.  Some familiar stuff in there! Yesterday I did finally manage to remember railbird but needed help with biradial, billiard, briar.  Thanks for the heads up, Langue_doc.  I hadn't realized that her full name is Ms. Beeatrice Buzzby.  Looks like she's 4.

Argh! I had verbiage as one of my contenders but couldn't get a mate.  Congrats on your 2fers yesterday and on another today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer!

Parasaurolophus

Very close today, but too tired to continue.
I know it's a genus.