News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

New Movies You Really Must See

Started by Wahoo Redux, July 22, 2021, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

To go along with the "Movies you've seen 10 times," what relatively new / not-yet-classic (however you define it) movies should everyone see?

The Vast of Night (Netflix)
The Rachel Divide
Hell or High Water
Moon
Married Life
Looper

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

Hell or High Water is great!

A few recommendations that come to mind:
- Ex Machina
- Nocturnal Animals
- The Gift
- The Endless

onthefringe

Agreed on Ex Machina and Moon! Other contenders for me:

Arrival So thoughtful and atmospheric. And I have a clear memory of being subtly annoyed in the early parts of the movie because I assumed they had narrowed her whole personality to something arising from one (lazy) trope, and then the reveal/realization reframed everything without being a twist for its own sake.

Get Out Trenchant social commentary and excellent horror.

Mad Max Fury Road I think this one will influence action movies for decades to come.

Bbmaj7b5

Summer of Soul. Stevie Wonder on a trap kit, then wailing on an organ. The Fifth Dimension grooving in ways never hinted at by the recordings. BB King, short-sheeted by a drummer playing cut time, responding by playing his butt off. Gladys Knights and the Pips holding the crowd and never letting it go. Sly and the Family Stone taking the crowd higher. And my favorite part: Sonny Sharrock, taking a step back from his chordal backing with Herbie Mann, playing a guitar solo that sounded like he had to reach into his big jazz box and rip out every note himself.