News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Florida's rejection of math textbooks "due" to CRT

Started by jimbogumbo, April 18, 2022, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Going to post, and then reply. The Governor's spokesperson showed the worksheet below as an example. Please note that it is not in any textbooks. I'll also send a link to the person who wrote the original, and a WaPo piece with more background re Florida.

https://twitter.com/ChristinaPushaw/status/1515505531582042118

nebo113

downer

We can safely assume DeSantis is just playing politics. But is he playing to his Florida voters or to the FauxNews-watching wider public?

Florida: According to the 2020 census, the racial distributions are as follows; 51.5% Non-Hispanic White, 14.5% African American , 2.9% Asian American, .2% native American. 26.6% of the Population are Hispanics or Latino (of any race). (Wikipediia)
Florida also has a lot of old people.

How does the Hispanic/Latino population react to CRT issues? Do they care one way or the other? My experience with my Hispanic students is that many of them are very sympathetic to Black Lives Matter.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on April 19, 2022, 06:14:09 AM

How does the Hispanic/Latino population react to CRT issues? Do they care one way or the other? My experience with my Hispanic students is that many of them are very sympathetic to Black Lives Matter.

Not so much, and you really lost them with the 'defund the police' riff. And they hate being referred to as Latinx.

Everything being experienced in Florida politics that progressives hate, they themselves have a strong hand in initiating.

When you say "I don't think parents should decide what or how students should be taught" you are setting the stage for someone to say "Hello parents. How do you feel? I'm running for office, and I'd like to know.' Any smart, no, any politician of average astuteness should capitalize on that opportunity.

lightning

I'm looking forward to when the AP College Board starts rejecting their math courses.

mahagonny

Quote from: lightning on April 20, 2022, 11:11:40 AM
I'm looking forward to when the AP College Board starts rejecting their math courses.

Many hands make light work.

How does the Hispanic/Latino population react to CRT issues?

Shhh, no one's doing any CRT, remember?

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on April 20, 2022, 01:19:16 PM

They sure aren't in K-12 math texts.

dismalist

Colleges and universities are rejecting the SAT's!

My favorite way of dealing with disagreements is to decentralize decision making. [Voucherizing everything in K-12 would be best.] Minimizes conflict. But neither large political party subscribes to such a view.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on April 20, 2022, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on April 20, 2022, 01:19:16 PM

They sure aren't in K-12 math texts.

So why I are we talking about it?

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: jimbogumbo on April 18, 2022, 02:52:14 PM
Going to post, and then reply. The Governor's spokesperson showed the worksheet below as an example. Please note that it is not in any textbooks. I'll also send a link to the person who wrote the original, and a WaPo piece with more background re Florida.

Maya Angelou is offensive CRT!?!?!?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 20, 2022, 06:21:38 PM

Did you read the questions?

3. Angelou was sexually abused by her mother's (boyfriend, brother, father) at age 8, which shaped her career choices and motivation for writing.

4. Trying to support her son as a single mother, she worked as a pimp, prostitute, and (bookie, drug dealer, night club dancer).

Not exactly sure what bringing this stuff has to do with math at whatever grade level this is.

It takes so little to be above average.

nebo113

Thank god I was not forced to learn about such awful things as ""sketch the graph of the degenerate conic."  Kudos to deSantis for shielding innocent students from being exposed to such degeneracy in math textbooks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/19/florida-math-textbooks-critical-race-theory/

nebo113

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 21, 2022, 04:44:55 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 20, 2022, 06:21:38 PM

Did you read the questions?

3. Angelou was sexually abused by her mother's (boyfriend, brother, father) at age 8, which shaped her career choices and motivation for writing.

4. Trying to support her son as a single mother, she worked as a pimp, prostitute, and (bookie, drug dealer, night club dancer).

Not exactly sure what bringing this stuff has to do with math at whatever grade level this is.

I cannot access the entire questions.  Would you post at least one complete question?  Not doubting you.  Just want to know what folks are talking about.