Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 10, 2022, 12:33:23 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 08, 2022, 01:18:09 PM

Yes, I lied. My soul will probably burn in Hell considering the number of times I've had to lie to this person, but it sure beats feeling the way I feel after talking to her

Look me up when you get there, EPW.  I've done this so many times for so long, I should have a great seat on the bus going there.  And as to the physical labor:  you've just learned the secret to why my yard and garden always look so nice every year.  I am not joking.

Hee hee. Yep. I can relate.

Parasaurolophus

The frontrunner for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada said, in the debate last night, that he's reading Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life and that it's full of wisdom.

I just can't even. And don't get me started on his crypto-boosting. Uuuuuuuugh.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Hmm, 'crypto-boasting'...is that on a continuum with 'humble-bragging' ?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on May 12, 2022, 12:04:56 PM

M.

If only. He's cheerleading crypto-currencies, selling them to the population as a safe, inflation-proof investment (rather than the transparent scam they are). Note that he was the finance critic, and he learned all about crypto from YouTube videos produced by a guy who's an actual, honest-to-goodness neo-Nazi.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 12, 2022, 06:28:40 PM

M.

If only. He's cheerleading crypto-currencies, selling them to the population as a safe, inflation-proof investment (rather than the transparent scam they are). Note that he was the finance critic, and he learned all about crypto from YouTube videos produced by a guy who's an actual, honest-to-goodness neo-Nazi.

Pollievre isn't electable; Jean Charest is their best choice for that reason. If the party chooses Pollievre, that's an early Christmas present for Trudeau.
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 13, 2022, 03:48:11 AM

M.

Pollievre isn't electable; Jean Charest is their best choice for that reason. If the party chooses Pollievre, that's an early Christmas present for Trudeau.

One can hope. But I suspect he's enough of a whacko to pull the Bernier peeps mostly back into the fold, and enough of suburban Ontario is dedicated to the party no matter what (to say nothing of Alberta, of course) that it would still be a credible threat.

But this guy is such a catastrophic idiot (he's at least as stupid as Scheer, probably more so) that the possibility of giving him the PM's power is really disturbing.

Charest is a perfectly fine choice, and I'd be happy for him to helm them. But I suspect the Reform wing is too strong, and the party too radical, for him. They'd stand a good chance of winning with him, but he's not very exciting.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 13, 2022, 06:59:12 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on May 13, 2022, 03:48:11 AM

M.

One can hope. But I suspect he's enough of a whacko to pull the Bernier peeps mostly back into the fold, and enough of suburban Ontario is dedicated to the party no matter what (to say nothing of Alberta, of course) that it would still be a credible threat.

He's totally off-base regarding the public sentiment about mandates, the trucker convoy, and now his cryptophilia is not looking good either. And the extremists on both ends of the spectrum won't really accept a centrist party anyway, so courting the PPC crowd isn't going to work; if they're willing to vote for a party that can't get a seat, they don't care about voting for a less extreme party who may be able to get elected.

But this guy is such a catastrophic idiot (he's at least as stupid as Scheer, probably more so) that the possibility of giving him the PM's power is really disturbing.

I'm not worried. If they choose him as party leader, he's got no choice in an election. Trudeau is not hard to find fault with, but compared to Pollievre he's a statesman.

Charest is a perfectly fine choice, and I'd be happy for him to helm them. But I suspect the Reform wing is too strong, and the party too radical, for him. They'd stand a good chance of winning with him, but he's not very exciting.

I really hope they decide they'd rather stand a chance of governing than just standing on the sidelines and ranting.
It takes so little to be above average.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Someone, I know who, still hasn't approved items from THREE months ago. So, I can't move forward until you approve them. Why haven't you approved them yet???

sinenomine

I'm sitting in a mandatory meeting where the pricey outside speaker is talking about how important it is to learn history, while spouting tons of misinformation (as fact) that is actually drawn from social media. Stunning.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

namazu

Debated whether to post here or in "First World Problems"; this thread was easier to find. 

I can't find a toilet with good flushing capacity + a round bowl + a standard (i.e., shorter than ADA-compliant/"right"/"comfort"/"universal"/"chair") height to replace my old, broken, scungy beige toilet.  Relatedly, the filters on search interfaces at major national big box stores and local home plumbing supply places and Amazon stink.

RatGuy

Posting from home because my work computer presented me with a Blue Screen of Death this morning. I've submitted a work order to IT, but I've yet to hear anything -- and advice from my office manager has been "just go home, they won't get to you anytime soon."

mamselle

Quote from: namazu on May 17, 2022, 12:30:25 PM
Debated whether to post here or in "First World Problems"; this thread was easier to find. 

I can't find a toilet with good flushing capacity + a round bowl + a standard (i.e., shorter than ADA-compliant/"right"/"comfort"/"universal"/"chair") height to replace my old, broken, scungy beige toilet.  Relatedly, the filters on search interfaces at major national big box stores and local home plumbing supply places and Amazon stink.

Not even Crane's in Chicago? They used to be a go-to for specific plumbing items like that...

Or maybe they don't exist anymore.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Difficult colleagues:  Nobody takes me seriously and just ignores my suggestions.  I think it is because I am [insert identity* here].

Also Difficult colleagues: Doesn't come to Departmental Retreat (even on Zoom) for three years running.

* at least 3 people, with non-overlapping identity grievances

1) Not doing what you say isn't the same as not listening to you.  We considered and debated your suggestions (they were found wanting).
2) The other department members who also share in the identity you identified, don't report mistreatment.   Maybe the problem is just you....
3) Taking you ball and going home means we don't have to listen to your suggestions, or your whining....so, win-win?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

EdnaMode

I came into my office this morning and everything that had been on the floor was placed either on chairs or on my desk (including several heavy, oily, machine parts that were sitting on cardboard on the floor. Maintenance had been in to clean the floors, with no advance notice, or I would have moved things myself. Now there are scratches on my desk and a suspicious stain on one of my chairs. Ugh. Not to mention they unplugged my laser printer which sits on the floor and I had to crawl under my desk to plug it back in. They also moved one of my filing cabinets and did not put it back. Things were so much better when they did not subcontract this out. Several of us, myself included, have already banned the cleaners from our labs because they unplug and move things they shouldn't. I can empty the (non-industrial waste) bins myself, the other waste we have protocols for, and the floor definitely does not need polished in a machine lab. Maybe I'll have to extend the 'do not clean' rule to my office, but then again, perhaps that's what they want? Less work for them?
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

ergative

My landlord is giving us notice to move out, and when I called my mother to vent about it my father got on the call and told me that the reason I was feeling down was because I needed to have my thyroid checked, and so my mood wasn't actually real.