News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statsgeek

FishProf, glad they returned safely home! 

We're currently the WORST cat servants ever.  First, we were gone for almost a week.  Now, they just settled into us being back and we've invited strange people to make loud noises outside (repairing a roof).  And, my Yin Yang boys don't know it yet, but tomorrow and Monday they have to go see the vet.  It's time for checkups and shots. 

I'll be surprised if the ASPCA doesn't show up at my door. 

Puget

So glad you got them back inside Fishprof! One of mine loves going out in the back yard in a harness and has occasionally managed to slip out of it (don't ask me how, he's very talented)-- luckily he has never run and lets me scoop him up and take him back in, but I always worry he'll someday escape. Hopefully he would at least stay close and come back for food like yours though.

Statsgeek you are clearly due some one star reviews on catservants.com. It is just so hard to get good help these days.

In unrelated cat anecdotes, early this morning I had a dream where I was walking around some sort of museum, inexplicably carrying both cats in my arms. Completely implausibly, they were pretty chill about that, but were getting quite heavy to carry. Then I woke up and found that there was in fact a cat sleeping on my arm.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

" inexplicably carrying both cats in my arms. Completely implausibly, they were pretty chill about that, but were getting quite heavy to carry. Then I woke up and found that there was in fact a cat sleeping on my arm."

That is how the training is done. They enter your dreams and insert the actions that you are expected to perform.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

FishProf

Quote from: Puget on May 30, 2024, 02:43:32 PMSo glad you got them back inside Fishprof!

Last night Nox, who has never even tried to go out, slipped around the air conditioner to go onto the roof.  Several hours later, I couldn't sleep and went to adjust the AC, and who is staring at me from the other side of the glass?  Quite startling on at least two levels.

It started raining about 45 minutes later, so I suspect kittyESP telling me to come get her.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Larimar

Yipes! Glad all the wandering kitties made it back inside!

FishProf

All present and accounted for when I left this morning.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

clean

Just heard from panicked (now relieved) friend. He woke up last night thinking that his Overlord got outside in the night.   He went out every hour or 2 through the early morning hours  to call and search.  He was very worried.  He was on a computer chat with another friend when he heard a cat dealing with a hairball.  He thought it was Cat 2, but then she walked by.  So he looked in the other room and their, perched on his throne/chair, was the supposedly missing overlord!

He is relieved that he had fulfilled his duties to support the whims and wishes of the Boss.  Now he is not sure if he was dreaming the cat got out, or if the overlord snuck in while he was outside searching?

Given that the overlords are staying close to home, perhaps an AirTag would help us serve them better.... Some of the cruise lines are giving passengers devices that track them and allow people to order drinks and snacks and then the servers use the trackers to serve you your orders.  IF the overlords ever went on a cruise, I m sure that they would insist on such a device! 

Airtags would allow you to sound an alert, and on the newer Iphones give you a direction and distance (at least I think that they do!)  (When I look for my keys they are usually a few feet away from my chair!, but my keys usually dont walk or hide from my on purpose -  or as punishment for my offenses)

Puget

Quote from: clean on May 31, 2024, 11:24:02 AMGiven that the overlords are staying close to home, perhaps an AirTag would help us serve them better....

You can definitely get air tag holders for pet collars and I think a lot of people do that with indoor/outdoor cats. The neighbors across the street have a friendly and inquisitive young cat who is allowed out, and she has an air tag on her collar. This is good because she came to visit while I was working outside with the door to the detached garage open and snuck inside -  I accidentally almost shut her in and might not have reopened it for days!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

Puget

Yesterday was a red letter day for the Puget cats. They were playing vigorously with something in the dining room yesterday evening -- they often get feisty in the evening it being hunting time and all, and I assumed they were playing with one of their toys. Then I looked and nope, a real live baby (or I guess adolescent) mouse!

As far as I know this was their first mouse experience, and they didn't really know what they were doing and were just batting at it with their paws like a toy, so it appeared unharmed albeit terrified. They were so excited that I felt a little bad taking it away from them, and I certainly don't want mice in the house, but nor did I want them to torture it, so I rescued it in a jar and took it outside. Hopefully it won't come back in, and will tell all the other mice to stay away! The cats on the other hand I'm sure are living in hope that this magical experience will be repeated.

I still don't know how it got in (up from the unfinished basement probably, but it was so small it really could have been anywhere).

statsgeek

One of my Yin/Yang boys got his nightmare resolution certification last night.  He showed up at just the right time, purring his little head off, and stayed until I was calm and almost back asleep.  I didn't even have to get up and walk around to shake it off. 

Sea_Ice

Quote from: statsgeek on July 07, 2024, 05:52:54 AMOne of my Yin/Yang boys got his nightmare resolution certification last night.  He showed up at just the right time, purring his little head off, and stayed until I was calm and almost back asleep.  I didn't even have to get up and walk around to shake it off. 

Awwwwwwwwwww! What a sweetie!

apl68

While at my parents' house I saw them open a large box they had gotten in the mail.  Their cat jumped into the box before they had even cleared everything out of it.  Cats do love boxes.

One item was a larger-than-life cutout of a chihuahua dog similar to their dog.  It's supposed to be staked out front in the yard.  Mom held it up to show us, and the cat bolted so fast we could barely seem him flash by.  Evidently he thought that a giant dog had magically appeared in the room with him.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

clean

2 very young (eyes open, but ears still floppy, not able to stand) fur ball kittens showed up at my inlaws back, sliding glass door.  Excitement ensued that they would have 2 kittens to take care of as the mom knew a good place to give her babies for adoption.
I explained that the job of a mommy kitty is never done, and that you dont want to do what she will do, and to leave the babies where they are and HOPE and PRAY that mommy comes back!   

When I explained that kittens that young need to have their bottoms stimulated to make them go, and at that age, they would be on 2 hour or so feedings (and but wiping) schedule, I think that it sunk in.  I told my bride that IF she wanted to move over there for a week or 2 to take care of these critters, I would understand, but they were not coming here!  I had My Bride go over with a shallow side box and a few small towels to put the babies in until the mother returned.   IF she didnt get them by today, I would help get them bottles and kitten formula (as they were thinking cow milk would work - when it doesnt!) 

fortunately, the mother returned.  She was surprised to see the audience on the other side of the glass, and to find her babies in a box, but she retrieved her burden. 

There was excitement, I think that they wanted to let the 4 year old grandbaby help feed them.  (I asked what they would do/say IF the kitties didnt make it after introducing them to the 4 year old grandyoungin?)

My job as the voice of reason, hopefully, has prevailed, and as the mother kitty has picked up her charges, the temptation is gone!!

Puget

Quote from: clean on July 08, 2024, 10:01:00 AM2 very young (eyes open, but ears still floppy, not able to stand) fur ball kittens showed up at my inlaws back, sliding glass door.  Excitement ensued that they would have 2 kittens to take care of as the mom knew a good place to give her babies for adoption.
I explained that the job of a mommy kitty is never done, and that you dont want to do what she will do, and to leave the babies where they are and HOPE and PRAY that mommy comes back!   

When I explained that kittens that young need to have their bottoms stimulated to make them go, and at that age, they would be on 2 hour or so feedings (and but wiping) schedule, I think that it sunk in.  I told my bride that IF she wanted to move over there for a week or 2 to take care of these critters, I would understand, but they were not coming here!  I had My Bride go over with a shallow side box and a few small towels to put the babies in until the mother returned.   IF she didnt get them by today, I would help get them bottles and kitten formula (as they were thinking cow milk would work - when it doesnt!) 

fortunately, the mother returned.  She was surprised to see the audience on the other side of the glass, and to find her babies in a box, but she retrieved her burden. 

There was excitement, I think that they wanted to let the 4 year old grandbaby help feed them.  (I asked what they would do/say IF the kitties didnt make it after introducing them to the 4 year old grandyoungin?)

My job as the voice of reason, hopefully, has prevailed, and as the mother kitty has picked up her charges, the temptation is gone!!

Quite an adventure! If you/they are up for helping this cat family, I'd suggest they put out food and water -- it is likely that the mother may come back that way (she clearly viewed it as a safe spot to stash her kittens for a bit), and eventually bring the kittens when they are more mobile. At that point they could enlist the help of a stray rescue group to trap them.  If the kittens can be habituated to people before they are about 8-10 weeks old there is a very good chance that they can be domesticated and adopted -- after that they will likely remain feral. The mother if feral can be TNRed (trapped-neutered-released) so she doesn't have any more kittens and also get vaccinations and any necessary vet care.