News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I get the impression from reading these threads that there are a lot of people trying to scam financial aid by borrowing money and signing up for classes that they have no intention of actually attending.  If the general public heard some of these stories, there'd be even more opposition to student loan forgiveness than there is.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

downer

Quote from: apl68 on June 27, 2024, 07:30:33 AMI get the impression from reading these threads that there are a lot of people trying to scam financial aid by borrowing money and signing up for classes that they have no intention of actually attending.  If the general public heard some of these stories, there'd be even more opposition to student loan forgiveness than there is.

I wonder to what extent colleges are reluctant to alert the authorities (whoever they are) about these cases because it is not in their financial interest to do so.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

bio-nonymous

Quote from: downer on June 27, 2024, 08:07:06 AM
Quote from: apl68 on June 27, 2024, 07:30:33 AMI get the impression from reading these threads that there are a lot of people trying to scam financial aid by borrowing money and signing up for classes that they have no intention of actually attending.  If the general public heard some of these stories, there'd be even more opposition to student loan forgiveness than there is.

I wonder to what extent colleges are reluctant to alert the authorities (whoever they are) about these cases because it is not in their financial interest to do so.
It's the same scam from the university side as admitting under-prepared students who flunk out or quit after a few years of giving the schools their financial aid money tuition. Our place seems to only care about undergraduate enrollment numbers--with little emphasis being placed right now on graduation rates or on our professional/graduate schools. I think the majority of state appropriations are based on undergrad enrollment so it figures. Sadly it appears that as long as they enroll and provide tuition dollars who cares?

the_geneticist

Got this one today:

QuoteMissing Assignments

Hey Dr. [Geneticist], good afternoon

I wanted to reach out to you because I was panicking about the first few missing assignments that I did not receive any credit. I enrolled in this laboratory a bit late because I was unsure as to whether I needed to retake it or not, and after talking with my counselor I did need to retake this class and therefore missed the first week of this lab. I was wondering if I would still be penalized for those missing assignments in the first week. I sincerely want to try my best to pass this class and I am concerned that I am already disadvantaged.
Thank you,
[stu who doesn't check email]

Yes, stu.  I emailed you a week ago with instructions on how to make up for the missing assignments. 
You never attempted the re-opened-just-for-you quiz.
You didn't complete the online [baskets] tutorial.
And you didn't even start the online makeup assignment.

Yes you are still "penalized".  You had an extension already & ignored it.  Those 0s are yours, you have earned them.

PS It's Week 3

Puget

Got an otherwise totally reasonable email from a student that ended with "Feel free to modify this email before sending". It took me several puzzled beats before I realized the student must have asked AI to draft the email, then copied it all over including that line!

It's not like a really care -- it's email, not a paper, and could actually be a useful tool in teaching them to write a professional sounding email if they actually learn instead of just copy, but it was pretty funny (and they should learn to proof read).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes