News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Will POTUS arrange a pardon for himself? And how?

Started by nebo113, November 12, 2020, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Even though a pardon will not shield him from state or city charges, there is some suggestion that a federal pardon would not be unwelcome by POTUS.  And he did tweet...

"As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?" Trump tweeted in June 2018.

Can he pardon himself?

Would he resign on Jan 19 and then get Pence to pardon him?  Given that Pence wants to run for Prez in 2024, would he pardon his current boss?

mamselle

Wooooww...I wouldn't put something like that past him.

It's not like when Ford pardoned Nixon after succeeding him, they're not in the same party, for one thing, and the issues are different.

I don't think Biden would have much stomach for pardoning the person who worked so hard to besmirch his name and/or those of his family members.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Parasaurolophus

He absolutely can and will. The only question, I think, is whether he's required to admit guilt somewhere first.

(This was discussed pretty extensively years ago, and the conclusion seemed to be that he absolutely can.)
I know it's a genus.

clean

QuoteI have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?"

I stand on the word of the Great Pumpkin himself.  He has done nothing wrong, so WHAT would he be pardoned for? 

The issues that he may actually face are state crimes, not federal, from what I can determine.

IF he could resolve his tax audit by 'admitting he cheated on his taxes and then pardon himself, stipulating 'time served' and no need for repayment, THEN I think that it would be done! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc