News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Merry Christmas to all!

Started by clean, December 24, 2021, 06:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Lots of changes to the plans!

My niece was supposed to arrive Thursday.  She came down with something on Wednesday.  She went to the walk in clinic and they tested her for all sorts of things.  The COVID tests came back negative and she is now feeling better.
Last night my brother and sister in law got a hotel room in her area so that she would not have to spend Christmas Even and Christmas morning alone. 
Since she is now feeling better they have returned with her. (She is less than 90 minutes away).

Since my brother arrived on Thursday he and my parents have been reviewing the Best of Fox News.  Im not political, but I suppose that I am not that extreme either, so I have not been particularly participating in the conversations.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ergative

I last saw my parents in September 2019. We had a zoom today, but I miss them so much. My sister was there; my nephew was there; my sister mentioned that she'd never seen a certain movie and my mother said that they'd all watch it tonight. I really, really wish the world wasn't so grim.

mamselle

1. This morning, I walked over on glazed sidewalks (actually, I mostly walked in the street where the town thoughtfully pre-salted last night) to feed the kitties I'm housecat-sitting for.

I got back in time to set up the family Skype-Zoom-a-thon, only to have no-one replying to texts and emails in order to pre-test whether the person in FL without a laptop could really phone in and hear me (having never joined a call before) and my Belgian cousin (likewise, phone only, although we have at least Skyped by phone) could connect with more than one person at a time.

Finally got it all sorted, a reasonable discussion occurred, if a bit flat. My sister had warned me that her longstanding partner has taken a nose-dive into CT (I had to ask if that was the state or the body scan; turns out it's "Conspiracy Theories") and likes to regale folks with awful Covid stories, then ask what they think of them. (I said I didn't usually rise to such bait, so he'd be disappointed; I didn't say I've had practice with those types online...).

But he never said a word, so she must have laid down the law somehow. All went well enough.

2. I had an email saying that the friend who's fighting breast CA went into the hospital last night with a high fever from (presumably) a collateral infection (UTI or otherwise was their guess). She's just had her next-to-last round of chemo, so is neutropenic, so it's more serious; will find out more later today.

I can't imagine that as a Christmas scenario, although I know it happens. Her other Monday-AM prayer partner and I are meeting briefly on Zoom at 5.

3. Of course, there's also comic relief...sort-of....I had invited one usual celebrate-holidays-together/go-to-friend to Zoom over dinner at 6 PM, as we have for the past couple years, now. Then another friend cropped up on Thursday with no-one to talk with and I asked them, too, telling them each that there would be someone else on the call, if that was OK. They both live nearby, have several things in common, and I figured it would be fun.

Oh, my.

Both of them have been emailing and texting me every few hours since I invited them: they've had insomnia over the idea, (that's actually, oddly, one of the things they have in common...); they were feeling anxious about it; maybe it wasn't a good idea; and..and...and...!

Sheesh!!!

I felt (still feel, but have talked myself out of doing it) like sending them both an email (this should go on the "wish I could say" thread) saying:

"OK, I thought I was doing something nice for you both, and for myself, since all three of us have open time at 6 PM and no-one to
   connect with over Christmas dinner.

Clearly, I'm wrong, neither of you see my friendship with you as a two-way relationships--it's all about you and your anxiety about meeting
    new people and nothing to do with my feeling of just wanting to be with a couple of friends, especially after all the (potential but thankfully,
    unrealized) family drama I thought might happen...so I'm sending you each the other's email. You two duke it out; let me know what you decide."*

I think now I won't do that, either--I'll just send the Zoom invitation and see who accepts.

And if no-one does, I'll go over early and feed the cats their dinner and come back and watch a film or something...

So, this year, the family was less crazy, but the friends were more-so. Who knew?

M.

_____
* I mean, I do understand, up to a point--although I didn't realize how serious their agoraphobia/new-people-anxiety was in either case--but, hey, it's online, it could be a fun meet-up--both like France (one is French); both like art and music (well, they're my friends, that's a requirement--kidding); it could be a quite rich discussion, really, and I was looking forward to it.

But whatever...! - M
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Merry Christmas! My husband spent most of yesterday afternoon making roasted lamb, dressing, and brussels for Christmas dinner.  We had some last night and will have it again tonight without all the work.  We got up early to clean up the many pans from last night and prepare eggnog pancakes for our youngest daughter as a surprise.  She cut up mango for all of us to have with it.  Her boyfriend had picked up a small present for my husband, a deck of Star Wars playing cards (they are both into that universe), and she brought those over with her.  I am thankful to her boyfriend for providing me the tools to crush the spirits of both the gift recipient and gift deliverer.  I beat them handily at rummy.  My eldest daughter visited with my mom this morning on the east coast and sent some pics and videos, which I was very happy to see.  It's hard being so far away.  A good day so far, and an easy evening to come (if I can stay awake that long)!

Harlow2

Merry Christmas, All!  Had a lovely Christmas Eve with daughter's in-laws and a great day today with daughter and grandson. Nice walk in a favorite place and delicious dinner we cooked together.  Another hike tomorrow and then must grade all the papers that came in (on time) on Monday night. I really want to be done. But for now, Ulysses is napping peacefully by my side and all is well.

hmaria1609

We had a fairly warm day with passing showers. Got and sent texts to friends.

I opened a bottle of rose and enjoyed with dinner.  Mom got pork ribs from Costco so that was our main dish with veggies as the side.

There was a special broadcast of "Downton Abbey: the Movie" on PBS earlier this evening.

Merry Christmas!