News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Quote from: paddington_bear on August 18, 2022, 04:19:46 AM
A weird thing happened to me yesterday and I'm soliciting people for their opinions. Pretend this is ABC's "What Would You Do?" or some etiquette column online.

About a week or so ago I ordered a purse online and it was supposed to come with four little "mini bags" (think make-up bags, etc.). The purse came on Tuesday, but no additional items. I emailed the company (it's a national company) to let them know. I took pictures to "prove" that I didn't receive the items and they said, "Sorry, we'll send them out!"

You see where this is going....Yesterday, not only did the additional missing items come, but I got an additional bag!  So I ordered 1 bag + 4 things and now I have 2 bags + 4 things. And I think 4 more things are coming. So.....What would you do?  Email the company and say, "Hey, you don't need to send out the 4 items and how do I send back the extra bag?" Would you keep everything?

Probably that is what they sent out intentionally-- what I've found is that if a component is missing, companies just sent a whole new one, because they don't have a way of just sending the missing piece(s), as everything is packaged together. Don't worry about it.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

FishProf

Playing the game of 'Keep a Word, Change a Word' and my first instinct was a potentially racist term. 

Glad I looked it up and picked a less loaded one.  The online debate about the term was, frankly, depressing.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on August 18, 2022, 07:50:02 AM
Playing the game of 'Keep a Word, Change a Word' and my first instinct was a potentially racist term. 

Glad I looked it up and picked a less loaded one.  The online debate about the term was, frankly, depressing.

The shifting sands of today's language politics make it all too easy to become an innocent (if perhaps clueless) victim of yet another cave-in in the Gemeinschaft.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

lightning

mahagonny

I'm not worried about $10K per student giveaways to colleges causing more inflation. I'm worried about more of that zero per cent inflation like we had in July, that wasn't cause by anything.

jimbogumbo

Not trying to be snarky, but that did seem to be a pretty US specific thread.

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 29, 2022, 02:58:18 PM
Not trying to be snarky, but that did seem to be a pretty US specific thread.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, yes it was. But, if the problem is unique to the US, then it is somehow rooted in the way the system works in the US, and perhaps changes might be made to be more like other places. On the other hand, if the problem is not unique to the US, then it's not specifically rooted in the way the system works in the US, and the solutions may be more universal.

In other words, trying to determine whether the problem is localized or not is important in trying to figure out the cause(s) and potential solution(s).

It takes so little to be above average.

FishProf

It was nice while it lasted.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

I'm enjoying the "ignore" function.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

It took me three weeks to 'get' Claude Debussy's music in full measure. But it was the best three weeks I'ver ever spent.

jimbogumbo

Thank god I'm happily retired and care not a whit about today's "tenure driven culture".

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 04, 2022, 05:21:33 PM
Thank god I'm happily retired and care not a whit about today's "tenure driven culture".

Well, I was regularly called 'Breitbart' without ever having read it. I guess that's what happens when the USA sorts itself into tribes.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on August 30, 2022, 01:42:01 PM
I'm enjoying the "ignore" function.

M.

Just swim away, folks...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

The most sane, level-headed, intelligent, and compassionate voice I've encountered on these fora over the past 12 years or so? Yeah, you bet your sweet bippy I trust her.