News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

Parasaurolophus

Oh, right. I forgot those two words really trigger you guys.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

little bongo

[possibly related?]

Ah, well. Back to ignoring.

mahagonny

Are elected democrats ever against funding?

mahagonny

I've had my pay cut before, along with all the adjunct faculty in the department. The tenured people had a union and were spared. One of them told me he didn't think it was fair. Of course their union had cut a deal with administration that they would never let us join. "People will say all kinds of things, but what they do is always the truth."  - P J O'Rourke

mahagonny

...So please, don't let it anyone tell you I never say anything positive about tenure.

mahagonny

Hey, not exactly...if the left doesn't love the poor, why are they always hiring them for another semester?

Juvenal

No adjunct hires this semester in my (former) STEM department.  Why not?  So many sections cancelled from low enrollment that even the FTers seem to be teaching skimpy sections.  Well, they still have work.  This is at a CC.

Once retired (not all that recent) and adjuncting since, found that the COVID classroom was no longer the forum I'd thought it (foolish me!) might be.  And so, health decline and student dearth(s) made it clear that masked or un-masked, my lectern chops will belong to others.  I really miss chalk!  Long since superseded at my CC by dried-out whiteboard markers.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

I used to carry a pouch of fresh markers around with me for that reason.

Does this mean you're really retiring (for the 2nd time, I believe)?

Sorry it's come to that...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Things are indeed getting dire when schools begin losing their opportunity to complain about having to use adjunct faculty.

I like the larger type, Professor Juvenal! At some point during the last 10 years the whole world made its font smaller. And they never asked us if was OK. They just went ahead and did it!

Agree with you about chalk. I even liked the sound it made. The sound of information being revealed!

Juvenal

Quote from: mamselle on March 08, 2022, 02:50:29 PM
I used to carry a pouch of fresh markers around with me for that reason.

Does this mean you're really retiring (for the 2nd time, I believe)?

Sorry it's come to that...

M.

Well, that's what I did, too, but all the supply cabinet had were black ones.  When I used chalk I'd buy a bucket of sidewalk chalk every semester or so and bring it along to class.  My! How colorful my chalk work was!

And yes, this retiree-adjuncting-retirement is conclusive.  Well, if they paid $6000/credit hour...hmm.
Cranky septuagenarian

Juvenal

Quote from: mahagonny on March 09, 2022, 07:30:38 AM
Things are indeed getting dire when schools begin losing their opportunity to complain about having to use adjunct faculty.

I like the larger type, Professor Juvenal! At some point during the last 10 years the whole world made its font smaller. And they never asked us if was OK. They just went ahead and did it!

Agree with you about chalk. I even liked the sound it made. The sound of information being revealed!

I wonder why nearly everyone just takes the default typeface, when there is an easy choice of alternatives in both font and font size.  I truly dislike sans-serif type.  And my e-mails and anything else I keyboard is just about always "Times New Roman," and a generous font size.  Takes about twenty seconds to make the type here into what I think looks better.  But that's me--yearning for serifs, chalk, and powdered wigs.

But if there was a general turning here to at least larger fonts--some folks' posts are so long they might take up a whole page at the larger font size.
Cranky septuagenarian

Anselm

Testing testing  1   2  3 ....
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.