News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

Yesterday morning was my Big Day Out--the first I've done solo in about a year.  It included:

--Getting my hair cut, from its raggedy past-shoulder length back to my normal short pixie-ish layers.  Much better!

--Picking up flea meds at the pharmacy for Kid #1's dog. I've never done this before and giggled when the tech asked for the name on the Rx.  I gave my daughter's name, and the woman said, "No, I need the dog's first and last name."  I guess I've never thought of a pet in those terms.

--A 3-month doctor check-up.  My diabetes has been wonky since last fall, so I went in ready to get The Talk yet again, but instead I was happily surprised:  I've lost 17 pounds over the past 3 months and my A1C dropped from 9.2 to 7.8 (7.0 is generally the goal number).  I've got lots of room to lose a lot more weight, and I'd really like to get those numbers lower and get off some of these meds, but I'll take it, especially since my ortho problems continue to worsen and further reduce my mobility, which limits how much I can do to control both.

Probably TMI and not of much general interest, but it all was kind of a big deal for me, after the past year.

mamselle

Au contraire, the weight loss and lab numbers are definitely significant!

Good for you!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Congrats ALH. Improvement is improvement, no matter how big or small.

ab_grp

Congratulations on your results, ALH! It sounds like a great day out.  Pets can have some very creative names, so I'm sure there are some interesting times at the vet. ;-)

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 09, 2021, 07:33:32 AM
Congrats ALH. Improvement is improvement, no matter how big or small.

And 17 pounds in three months is pretty significant.  Congratulations!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Unrelated.

Health insurance companies suck.

downer

Every year I get a bill from my doctor for my "free" physical. It's only about $20, but why don't they say "it's only $20 and it's a physical, so we can forget about it."
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

It could violate some terms of their agreements with insurance, Medicaid, etc., if they did that.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Quote from: mamselle on June 09, 2021, 01:25:45 PM
It could violate some terms of their agreements with insurance, Medicaid, etc., if they did that.

M.

I'm sure. That doesn't lessen my feeling that it is a system built on bullshit. But it is the system we have, and it will probably stay like that for the rest of my life.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Larimar

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 09, 2021, 07:04:57 AM
Yesterday morning was my Big Day Out--the first I've done solo in about a year.  It included:

--Getting my hair cut, from its raggedy past-shoulder length back to my normal short pixie-ish layers.  Much better!

--Picking up flea meds at the pharmacy for Kid #1's dog. I've never done this before and giggled when the tech asked for the name on the Rx.  I gave my daughter's name, and the woman said, "No, I need the dog's first and last name."  I guess I've never thought of a pet in those terms.

--A 3-month doctor check-up.  My diabetes has been wonky since last fall, so I went in ready to get The Talk yet again, but instead I was happily surprised:  I've lost 17 pounds over the past 3 months and my A1C dropped from 9.2 to 7.8 (7.0 is generally the goal number).  I've got lots of room to lose a lot more weight, and I'd really like to get those numbers lower and get off some of these meds, but I'll take it, especially since my ortho problems continue to worsen and further reduce my mobility, which limits how much I can do to control both.

Probably TMI and not of much general interest, but it all was kind of a big deal for me, after the past year.

Congrats, ALH!

Economizer

AFRICAN NEWS - Photojournalist captures elephant forking truck. Tusk, tusk!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

Twenty-odd years ago, I was supposed to have a relatively large mole removed, but then my OCD kicked in and I couldn't bear to be parted from it.

Yesterday, I finally got around to having it removed.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: downer on June 09, 2021, 12:46:54 PM
Every year I get a bill from my doctor for my "free" physical. It's only about $20, but why don't they say "it's only $20 and it's a physical, so we can forget about it."

A lot of people in the past year have gotten burned by eye-watering surprise bills for those "free" COVID tests that so many of us have had to take.  Including me!  I ended up not actually have to pay that shockingly high test bill, and I'm sure most people haven't either.  But it's a nasty surprise to have to deal with.  I'm sure it has contributed to reluctance to get tested.  It also reportedly contributes to vaccination reluctance in some people.  Since everybody has had those surprise medical bills, it's hard for many to believe that the vaccination shot will really and truly come free and with no strings attached.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

downer

Quote from: apl68 on June 10, 2021, 07:24:38 AM
Quote from: downer on June 09, 2021, 12:46:54 PM

A lot of people in the past year have gotten burned by eye-watering surprise bills for those "free" COVID tests that so many of us have had to take.  Including me!  I ended up not actually have to pay that shockingly high test bill, and I'm sure most people haven't either.  But it's a nasty surprise to have to deal with.  I'm sure it has contributed to reluctance to get tested.  It also reportedly contributes to vaccination reluctance in some people.  Since everybody has had those surprise medical bills, it's hard for many to believe that the vaccination shot will really and truly come free and with no strings attached.

Yes. One reason health care is in the state it's in in the US is that people don't trust the system at many levels. It seems perfectly reasonable to be suspicious of whatever declarations are made.

jimbogumbo

Not related.

Your choice of words is clearly intended to obfuscate and incite. You are a jackass.