Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monarda

Quote from: ab_grp on January 09, 2022, 11:58:17 AM
Quote from: monarda on January 09, 2022, 09:59:58 AM
Have you all heard about wordle? I just learned of it yesterday. https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
It's a very quick puzzle to add to the daily word puzzle routine.

Yes, it kept coming across my Twitter feed, and then I think was mentioned here a few pages ago.  It is really fun and quick! There is an app (not for the original game but a similar one) that allows you to play more than once per day, though I appreciate the original designer intending it to leave people wanting more like the spelling bee does.  I would be so interested to get the data on which words people try, how often they get it in one, two, three tries, etc., how many tries for each specific word, and so forth.  I have not yet managed to get it in 2, but I have gotten better at getting it in three.  How have you fared with it?

Speaking of the bee, husband got to QBABH, and I gave up on my final word and got his assistance for it.  Oh well, not enough time today!

I've only played 2 days, just learned about it yesterday. I solved one in 3 turns, and the other in 6 (didn't realize you could use a letter twice).

Got a QBABM today! My second ever. Woot!

Parasaurolophus

Well done, monarda!

Finally broke my GWP slump. Phew!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - words like coevolve are why I never hit QBAM.

LB - schmofficial biscuit-taxonomy. Anyone find anything else?

Left town Sat/Sun and came home late last night to a Trail Mix puzzle by Patrick Berry in the WSJ and a Split Decisions in the NYT. An embarrassment of riches!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Ciao_yall, congratulations on your 2fer yesterday!  I had taxonomy, but did not see biscuit.  Argh!

Monarda, congratulations on your QBABY yesterday!

Yesterday coevolve was my last word, found only with a hint.  But today I got QBABM! 

And after two days of LB failures, I found a 2fer today. 

Happy puzzling!

ETA:  Ciao_yall, Split Decisions is my favorite weekly puzzle.  But Trail Mix!  My husband subscribes to WSJ, so I must ask him to print it out for me.  He pays no attention to puzzles.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far.

coevolve was my last word which I found by indiscriminately prefixing co- to several words.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I managed to get to QBABM today but needed help with coevolve yesterday.  Congrats on your QBABY yesterday, monarda, and yours today, cathwen! Parasaurolophus, I'm glad you broke your streak!

I had a bunch of contenders including taxonomy but no luck yesterday.  Congrats, ciao_yall, and congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen!

Monarda, yesterday was my first time of solving Wordle in 6 tries.  I almost didn't make it! I hadn't realized at first that you could use a letter twice, either.  Maybe someday I'll get it in two.

Happy solving!

bopper

if you like Spelling Bee, have you tried Wordle?
https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

It's like "Mastermind", but with words.

ciao_yall

GwP, 2fer b4ss and another 2fer with a word it didn't take. Maybe something will resolve?

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius but no pangram yet. It's a challenging puzzle today--my brain feels as though it's just had a good workout.

pulsators/seventy; couldn't find mates for platypus(es) and a few other words.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram, but the pangram was not easy to find.  The fact that I misspelled it at first did not help.  This is indeed a hard puzzle!  I foresee WP in my future.

As for LB, I had upvotes-snarly.  So now we have at least three solutions!  I have also found a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

179 points; I think I just need the pangram!

cathwen, that's an economical solution.

ciao_yall, safe travels if you're still on the road.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I got to QBABM after thinking of the final two words while pouring cereal.  It was a struggle for a while, but the words are all familiar.  Good luck! I think biblical, aboil were my final ones yesterday. 

Congrats on your 2fers! No luck for me despite many attempts.  Congrats on another one today!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Yay, got a 2fer, and on my second try! It has been a few days.

ab_grp

Spelling bee heads up, per Sam tweet today:

-Z's, J's, X's (one of these is tomorrow)
-A tough-to-see 12(!)-letter pangram
-A *massive* puzzle for a weekend day, by popular demand. It's pretty sweet. You'll see.

ciao_yall

Oh boy oh boy.

GwoP, not sure it will pop today.

2fer for today. Yesterday I had two 2fer b4ss solutions and one that wouldn't take the word soylent. I have already deleted them so we'll all just have to wonder. Langue_doc, I think one of them had platypus.