News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Tax Man Cometh!

Started by hmaria1609, January 30, 2020, 07:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Thanks to all.   One more question-- I have never electronically filed taxes before.... how does one send in one's W2 forms when one does so? What are the security aspects to doing this?   Is e-filing done via email or fax?

clean

You enter the information from the W2 into the software (though some programs and employers will let you download the file directly). You do not mail it in.  (Remember that the IRS already has the information anyway!)

The eFile is done using electronic information directly to the IRS, neither email nor fax.  By using eFile, your information is entered directly into the IRS computers.  IF you mail it, someone has to transpose (or attempt to electronically read) the file, potentially causing errors. 

that is one of the reasons eFile is so much faster. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 06, 2021, 09:12:50 PM
Thanks to all.   One more question-- I have never electronically filed taxes before.... how does one send in one's W2 forms when one does so? What are the security aspects to doing this?   Is e-filing done via email or fax?

Kay, if your income is below $72k, you can use tax software to e-file for free, but you must access it through the IRS website:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free
There are a lot of different options which may get confusing but they have a lookup tool that will match you with the best one for you (age, income, state, etc.).

If your income is above that, you can still e-file for free using online fillable forms that are just like the paper forms (same link)-- if your return is simple and you are comfortable with a 1040 form, that may even be faster.

Either way, as Clean says, you will enter the information from your W2(s). You do not mail anything.

If you are owed a refund, there will be a place at the end to enter your routing and account number for direct deposit.

You can do this!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

kaysixteen

ok, thanks again.   So if you do it this way, I am assuming you'll get some sort of confirmation email saying you did file?  And a chance to download your forms and save them, before hitting send?

Puget

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 07, 2021, 10:00:56 PM
ok, thanks again.   So if you do it this way, I am assuming you'll get some sort of confirmation email saying you did file?  And a chance to download your forms and save them, before hitting send?

Yes to both, and you will receive another automated email (usually within a day) saying your return has been accepted (processing is MUCH faster than with paper forms).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

lightning

TurboTax 2020 (client software) is not compatible with the OS on my 5-year-old MacBook Air (OS upgraded as far as it can on my old MacBook Air), so I was forced to do online TurboTax. I didn't have time to do a workaround.

F**k turbotax. It seems that turbotax thinks a five year old MAC with the highest version of High Sierra is not worthy of their turbotax 2020 software. Now that I have more advanced notice of their douchebaggery, I'm looking at other options for 2021. Does anyone use the H&R Block software? Is anyone happy with it?

FishProf

I've used the Credit Karma free filing for the last three years.  No complaints.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

lightning

Quote from: FishProf on May 11, 2021, 03:53:33 AM
I've used the Credit Karma free filing for the last three years.  No complaints.

thanks!

Puget

Quote from: lightning on May 11, 2021, 02:01:50 AM
TurboTax 2020 (client software) is not compatible with the OS on my 5-year-old MacBook Air (OS upgraded as far as it can on my old MacBook Air), so I was forced to do online TurboTax. I didn't have time to do a workaround.

F**k turbotax. It seems that turbotax thinks a five year old MAC with the highest version of High Sierra is not worthy of their turbotax 2020 software. Now that I have more advanced notice of their douchebaggery, I'm looking at other options for 2021. Does anyone use the H&R Block software? Is anyone happy with it?

Honestly unless your taxes are really complicated I find it faster to just use the free fillable forms to e-file than to answer a gazillion questions that mostly don't apply in tax software. Even with itemizing and having to do a schedule 1 it only takes me an hour or so.

clean

Honestly unless your taxes are really complicated I find it faster to just use the free fillable forms to e-file than to answer a gazillion questions that mostly don't apply in tax software. Even with itemizing and having to do a schedule 1 it only takes me an hour or so.

I used TurboTax starting some time ago because it is so difficult/time consuming to type the ETrade information and TT will download it all quickly.

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Interthreaduality.

I had an issue with the software today. TaxAct wanted me to PAY for my state file. Can you imagine? The nerve! :)

So, I had to go back and do it all again (much faster the 2nd time) and didn't have to pay to file federal or state. Federal was accepted. I'm now waiting on the state.

I think I got into some weird feature which is why the program wanted to charge me 90 bucks to file state and something else. Bah!

kaysixteen

So I did decide to do the free efile option, given that my income qualifies.   I  go  to the IRS site, and it gives me '8 free offers you may qualify for'.   I do not know which firm to select, but as they are free, and linked via the IRS site, what the heck.  I pick one.   I complete the fed tax form, which I had already figured out myself (I am using the efile only to get it done asap, get refund and back stim payments, etc-- I have already computed both state and fed forms on paper).   This site did do my fed form correctly, and also did state form.   Problem was, they messed up the MA state form big-time, as they did not allow me anywhere to  take my renter deduction and several other state deductions, making my refund about $150 less.   Ah well, I decided just to file the fed form with this company, as it was correct and free.   But it would not let me file fed only, insisted I pay $37.50 to file the state form, which they had incorrectly computed.   The hell with that.  I went back to the IRS site and chose another firm, and did not have to even have it attempt the state form, which is remarkably compex here in MA, and which I will just drop into the mailbox tomorrow anyhow.   I am wondering whether I should send a complaint letter wrt the first incompetent and bait-and-switch firm, to the MA state tax dept?

paultuttle

I would, if I were in your shoes. These firms advertise that they know what they're doing, regardless of the state(s) you live in, so that kind of screw up is on them, IMHO.

We just finished filing our federal and state tax forms via TurboTax. I'm always surprised by how easy it is but how unnecessarily cumbersome it is as well.

Oh, well--at least that's done. Onward and upward, to infinity and beyond! (grin)

Anselm

Well, I filed the traditional paper way back around April 23rd and I am still waiting for my refund.  The IRS website shows me nothing so far when I check the status.  I already got my state refund a month ago.   Last year I filed around April 15th and did not get the refund until August 7th.  I was hoping that pandemic related delays got cleared up by now.  I just wanted to see if anybody else has had the same experience as me.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

If you're in the south, or have items being mailed from or through the southern US states, the damaged sorters have not been fixed and those that were removed have not yet been replaced, if the experiences we continue to have with the N/P I'm (still!) working for are any indication.

Over four weeks for a packet to arrive at the bank's main customer service office, and another four (and counting) for them to send the approvals back.

Their offices are in AZ and FL, and they themselves say this is what they're seeing across the board.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.