News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Tax Man Cometh!

Started by hmaria1609, January 30, 2020, 07:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

Quote from: clean on April 18, 2021, 12:13:12 PM
Quotehow about raising taxes on the rich? (Not an answer you'll like I'm sure).

In the olden days, the promise was "a chicken in every pot".  IF you had 2 chickens, you were 'rich'?

If you had two pots, and someone had only one chicken, you could charge for the use of your extra pot.  I think that could be called a kind of rent.  Assuming you had pot #1 and an unmortgated fowl for your own use.
Cranky septuagenarian

clean

Taxes filed And FINALLY accepted!! 

after much grinding of teeth and pulling of hair, I have found the error and made the correction!

Our refund is one of the smallest I have ever had ($153) and it took the most pain and agony of ANY I have ever filed! 

But it is DONE!!

Hopefully, I am the board's lager!  Im just sayin... I have half a clue on how to do taxes, and this one took me 5 days to finally get finished and accepted. IF I had waited until the current May 15 deadline to start, I would be really stressed! 

SO please learn from my experience... Do NOT delay!  Something will always pop up to cause some issue or another!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

wareagle

Nah, I'm lagging yet.  Waiting for Mr. Eagle to sign off; he's been out of town.  I had to do paper, fillable .pdfs this year because my ancient iMac was too old for tax software - could not upgrade the OS anymore.  Poor thing, it IS nine years old, but still works well....

[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

Juvenal

Quote from: wareagle on April 22, 2021, 12:41:36 PM
Nah, I'm lagging yet.  Waiting for Mr. Eagle to sign off; he's been out of town.  I had to do paper, fillable .pdfs this year because my ancient iMac was too old for tax software - could not upgrade the OS anymore.  Poor thing, it IS nine years old, but still works well....

Yes, us poor old "vintage" iMac users.  My tottering antique is thirteen years old.  Certain annoyances that seem not (easily; by me) fixable have crept it, but so far a work-around has been found.  My background includes a certain amount of "Use it up.  Wear it out.  Make do.  Do without."  I'll go along up until "Do without" comes sneaking down the road.  Maybe desktops last longer than laptops, but to me a laptop is a kind of touchy toy.  A desktop is a real machine.
Cranky septuagenarian

Parasaurolophus

Done, with a minimum of hassle. And I have an enormous return coming. Whew!
I know it's a genus.

wareagle

Quote from: Juvenal on April 29, 2021, 08:49:59 AM
Quote from: wareagle on April 22, 2021, 12:41:36 PM

Yes, us poor old "vintage" iMac users.  My tottering antique is thirteen years old.  Certain annoyances that seem not (easily; by me) fixable have crept it, but so far a work-around has been found.  My background includes a certain amount of "Use it up.  Wear it out.  Make do.  Do without."  I'll go along up until "Do without" comes sneaking down the road.  Maybe desktops last longer than laptops, but to me a laptop is a kind of touchy toy.  A desktop is a real machine.

I have one of that vintage as well, plus the really old "lamp" style iMac that I bought in 2002.  The current one has lasted far longer than any of its predecessors; I try to replace them every four years but kept putting it off and putting it off.

I went with a MacBook Air this time.  I'm not big on laptops - like you, I agree that they're finicky toys.  But retirement looms and I plan to be a vagabond for awhile.  So the laptop seemed a better option.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

Economizer

Easy listening, event appropriate music that will probably be more appropriate next year: "TAXMAN", by The Beatles.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

I filed a "close approxamitation" tax return
through an online tax preparation service
in early April and have yet to receive an acceptance notice. Should I file a hard copy return with more belie correct information if my initial submittance is not "accepted" soon, you think?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

clean

I think that I would be checking the status with the service.  Why is it taking so long to get a yea or nea from the IRS?  You are not asking "where is my refund?", but "Did you get my forms?"

IF you have more complete information now, the service you are using may be able to resubmit the corrected/accurate file now.

Economizer

Quote from: clean on May 02, 2021, 09:19:00 AM
I think that I would be checking the status with the service.  Why is it taking so long to get a yea or nea from the IRS?  You are not asking "where is my refund?", but "Did you get my forms?"

IF you have more complete information now, the service you are using may be able to resubmit the corrected/accurate file now.
Thank you

kaysixteen

WRT taxes, how many of you have gotten refunds yet, and how long has it taken to get it?   Also, if any of you had to claim any of the first two stim chex on your 2020 taxes, were you able to do so without problem, and did they come?  The IRS seems very back-logged-- I am still waiting on my 2019 refund, largely because of a paperwork snafu last summer, which the IRS did not get around to letting me know of till the first of December.   I sent them the work they wanted but as of my last checking on line, earlier today, it is still being processed.  This prevented me from getting the January $600 stim check, which I will have to declare as an extra refund on my 2020 taxes, and I cannot get the third stim check from the March relief bill, till I file those taxes, which I had been waiting to do until after I ultimately got that 2019 refund, wanting to avoid having to have the IRS deal with 2 years' of refunds at the same time for me, but as I am running out of time, I am going to file the 2020 this week and hope for the best.

Puget

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 04, 2021, 02:32:23 PM
WRT taxes, how many of you have gotten refunds yet, and how long has it taken to get it?   Also, if any of you had to claim any of the first two stim chex on your 2020 taxes, were you able to do so without problem, and did they come?  The IRS seems very back-logged-- I am still waiting on my 2019 refund, largely because of a paperwork snafu last summer, which the IRS did not get around to letting me know of till the first of December.   I sent them the work they wanted but as of my last checking on line, earlier today, it is still being processed.  This prevented me from getting the January $600 stim check, which I will have to declare as an extra refund on my 2020 taxes, and I cannot get the third stim check from the March relief bill, till I file those taxes, which I had been waiting to do until after I ultimately got that 2019 refund, wanting to avoid having to have the IRS deal with 2 years' of refunds at the same time for me, but as I am running out of time, I am going to file the 2020 this week and hope for the best.

I got my refund direct deposited within days of e-filing my taxes.
I'm in the privileged position of earning too much to qualify for relief checks, so can't speak to that.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

QuoteI got my refund direct deposited within days of e-filing my taxes.
I'm in the privileged position of earning too much to qualify for relief checks, so can't speak to that.

Similarly, our refund arrived fairly quickly.

I did not get the stimulus checks because as a singleton, I made too much money.  I expected that getting married would help, but our combined income was more than I had expected as she didnt really know what her income wasSo when all was said and done, together, we made slightly over the cap.

However, I had looked into it earlier in the year and determined that was likely the case, so delayed submitting taxes.  She was able to get the last check as the government still had her status as single.  Just to be safe, we simply stashed that check into savings so that IF next year's taxes require it returned (or added to income), the money will be there (earning .005%!!  -- not even happy meal money!!)

Vkw10

WRT taxes, how many of you have gotten refunds yet, and how long has it taken to get it?   Also, if any of you had to claim any of the first two stim chex on your 2020 taxes, were you able to do so without problem, and did they come?  The IRS seems very back-logged-- I am still waiting on my 2019 refund, largely because of a paperwork snafu last summer, which the IRS did not get around to letting me know of till the first of December. 

My payment was withdrawn from checking very quickly.

The IRS processing center in NearbyCity is desperate to hire seasonal workers to help with backlog. Nephew and his friends had their choice of full-time, part-time, weekdays, weekends, day shift, night shift. Minimum $15 an hour, with no experience and just high school diploma or GED. Told me I should apply for weekend job, to bump up my retirement fund.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

Filed my taxes early, had to wait a couple of months for the federal refund, but it all went smoothly.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all