News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Is there any danger of those positions being filled by our departing 'leader' with people who could be difficult to deal with overall?

I.e., as noted with Pence, do the resignations leave open slots that might be move volatile/pivotal in other ways?

Talk about a mess.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Quote from: research_prof on January 07, 2021, 06:51:19 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on January 06, 2021, 08:42:52 PM
Quote from: research_prof on January 06, 2021, 07:24:32 PM
Quote from: hmaria1609 on January 06, 2021, 07:19:03 PM
Earlier today, we got a staff e-mail that we were closing early and Mayor Bowser had a 6 pm curfew for DC. It was nice to go home and get ahead of rush hour traffic leaving the city.

Serious trolling?

From The Washington Post: By midafternoon Wednesday, D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) announced a citywide curfew starting at 6 p.m. But when the notification hit the phones of protesters, they scoffed at it. "Guess who's going home? None of us," someone in the Capitol yelled. "Time to take back what's ours," someone else screamed. "A new 1776 has just begun."

Arlington and Alexandria also imposed a 6 PM to 6 AM curfew.

Here is the link to the timeline of events: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/01/06/dc-protests-trump-rally-live-updates/

I am aware of all that. I do not live in a parallel universe. However, the following sentence sounded quite odd given what happened yesterday: "It was nice to go home and get ahead of rush hour traffic leaving the city."

So, we had people dying, but someone cared about not having to deal with traffic?! Like seriously people? Let's be a bit more human and not just care about ourselves. What happened yesterday is also related (among many other things) to having people that think like that on both sides of the aisle (i.e., just care about themselves and nothing other than that). So, the world is falling apart next to you and you care about traffic? Really!? Let's be humans, not robots.

If that's your concern you need to read more of hmaria's posts first.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

research_prof

Quote from: mamselle on January 07, 2021, 06:55:52 AM
Earlier today, we got a staff e-mail that we were closing early and Mayor Bowser had a 6 pm curfew for DC. It was nice to go home and get ahead of rush hour traffic leaving the city.

Serious trolling?

From The Washington Post: By midafternoon Wednesday, D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) announced a citywide curfew starting at 6 p.m. But when the notification hit the phones of protesters, they scoffed at it. "Guess who's going home? None of us," someone in the Capitol yelled. "Time to take back what's ours," someone else screamed. "A new 1776 has just begun."

Here is the link to the timeline of events: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/01/06/dc-protests-trump-rally-live-updates/

I am aware of all that. I do not live in a parallel universe. However, the following sentence sounded quite odd given what happened yesterday: "It was nice to go home and get ahead of rush hour traffic leaving the city."

So, we had people dying, but someone cared about not having to deal with traffic?! Like seriously people? Let's be a bit more human and not just care about ourselves. What happened yesterday is also related (among many other things) to having people that think like that on both sides of the aisle (i.e., just care about themselves and nothing other than that). So, the world is falling apart next to you and you care about traffic? Really!? Let's be humans, not robots.

M.

Well... Again, yesterday we witnessed an insurrection. But we just had someone that said "it was nice because there was no traffic". No need to read any further. I learned all I need about this individual. Have a nice day everyone.

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 06, 2021, 06:42:22 PM
I'm just fondly remembering this time just over 4 years ago. 700,000 women marched on Washington and it was perfectly civilized.

A "million" men marched on Washington some years ago and it turned out well also.  We've had lots and lots of perfectly civilized demonstrations over the years.  The fact that such things can happen here has long been one of our great strengths.  Unfortunately the "civilized" part has largely ceased to be the case with demonstrations over the past year, and it isn't the fault of any one faction or group of factions.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Serious trolling?

Sounds more like an effort to look on the bright side in a situation where that's not easy to do right now. 

Glad that the worst was averted, and the Electoral College vote has been certified by Congress.  Still...four people are now dead.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on January 06, 2021, 05:12:30 PM
Quote from: spork on January 06, 2021, 05:10:50 PM
Pence seems pissed off. First time I've heard him sound like he has a spine.

So, something good might come of it after all.

Hmm....

M.

It's too close to the next inauguration to have time for a formal impeachment process.  I would like to see the Vice President remove the President from office and hold it until then.  Then at some point, after more urgent business relating to the pandemic has been dealt with, I'd like to see the former President placed on trial for treason.  In a federal court, not by Congress.  They've got other business to take care of.

mamselle

Quote from: research_prof on January 07, 2021, 07:06:38 AM

Serious trolling?

M.

Well... Again, yesterday we witnessed an insurrection. But we just had someone that said "it was nice because there was no traffic". No need to read any further. I learned all I need about this individual. Have a nice day everyone.

No, you really don't. But it might be to their advantage not to have to deal with someone who sees things that way, so win-win.

M.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: apl68 on January 07, 2021, 07:41:23 AM
Quote from: mamselle on January 06, 2021, 05:12:30 PM
Quote from: spork on January 06, 2021, 05:10:50 PM
Pence seems pissed off. First time I've heard him sound like he has a spine.

So, something good might come of it after all.

Hmm....

M.

It's too close to the next inauguration to have time for a formal impeachment process.  I would like to see the Vice President remove the President from office and hold it until then.  Then at some point, after more urgent business relating to the pandemic has been dealt with, I'd like to see the former President placed on trial for treason.  In a federal court, not by Congress.  They've got other business to take care of.

Theoretically impeachment could be carried out very quickly; 25th amendment would be fine as well. It seems unfathomable that this man is going to be in office for another 14 days after directing an attack on the US government. But it also seems like there has been a decision to informally sideline Trump instead. I'd love to know what prompted him to call for a peaceful transition of power today - I'm sure it wasn't his conscience.

As I said in another thread, prior to this I would have been opposed to charging a former president. But now I agree with you that Trump must be charged. If leading an insurgency against the US government doesn't merit criminal charges then I don't know what does.

mamselle

QuoteI'd love to know what prompted him to call for a peaceful transition of power today - I'm sure it wasn't his conscience.

He wants his Twitter feed back.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Looks like the Senate is adjourned until Jan. 19, and the House until an unspecified date after Jan. 20. So: no impeachment, no 25th amendment*, and no $2000 cheques.

*I think?
I know it's a genus.

research_prof

Quote from: mamselle on January 07, 2021, 07:49:42 AM
Quote from: research_prof on January 07, 2021, 07:06:38 AM

Serious trolling?

M.

No, you really don't. But it might be to their advantage not to have to deal with someone who sees things that way, so win-win.

M.

M. you could just have acknowledged that the way your friend (or whatever this person is) expressed themselves was a bit off and end this thing there. But if you share their view too, well, too bad.

mamselle

No, I'm saying you're too quick to write someone off so self-righteously without knowing them.

i took it as not unlike the urbane quips I may make when--despite the strong, deep, sincere awareness of many regrettable kinds of human cost, and even one death was too many, now we hear there were four--one has to see some kind of bright side or go mad.  Survivor cynicism, maybe?

Context is thick and deep these days. We need to cut each other a certain level of slack, while still holding to the fire those clay feet that clearly belong to half-baked individuals. Maybe I was too quick, too, in which case, apologies.

Back to the editing...and a meeting and three private lessons to teach before I end the day at 8 PM.

M.

mythbuster

I watched the speeches when they first came back last night. I now at least understand how McConnell has held power for this long. He really is good at speeches. His statement that "This country has faced down much greater dangers and an unhinged mob" was absolutely drenched in distain. He has clearly gotten everything he can from Trump and is ready to kick him to the curb.
  In contrast, Linsey Graham was likely drunk when he gave his speech. But he's done with it all as well.

I can't decide if having President Pence for 2 weeks would be worth it. It would render Trump ineligible for reelection, which would do us all good. But he would be pardoned by Pence, when I think he should be tried for many high crimes at the Federal level.

It was leaked yesterday afternoon that Biden has picked Merrick Garland for AG. This was clearly released once the Georgia seats were locked up. I'd love someone to get his thoughts on all of this.

spork

Quote from: mythbuster on January 07, 2021, 08:31:54 AM
I watched the speeches when they first came back last night. I now at least understand how McConnell has held power for this long. He really is good at speeches. His statement that "This country has faced down much greater dangers and an unhinged mob" was absolutely drenched in distain. He has clearly gotten everything he can from Trump and is ready to kick him to the curb.

McConnell's wife will be collecting her last federal paycheck. So no need to keep that gravy train rolling. Same for the husband of Elaine Chao's sister.

In contrast, Linsey Graham was likely drunk when he gave his speech.

[. . .]

Sorry I missed this. Makes sense -- conniving quisling who is also a drunk.

If this were the good old days of the mid-19th century, when America was great, the 147 Congressional Republicans who voted against the electoral college vote would be convicted of sedition and hanged.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 07, 2021, 08:00:19 AM
Looks like the Senate is adjourned until Jan. 19, and the House until an unspecified date after Jan. 20. So: no impeachment, no 25th amendment*, and no $2000 cheques.

*I think?

A 25th amendment removal is not initiated by congress -- it stipulates that the president can be removed if found to be "unable to discharge the powers and duties" of the office by the vice president and majority of the cabinet. Congress only becomes involved if the president contests the finding (which would certainly be the case here, but not in most cases it was imagined for, e.g., the president has stroke or is otherwise incapacitated). At that point 2/3 vote in both chambers would be needed.

So no, this isn't going to happen realistically, but not because congress is in recess (and remember they can be called back into session at any time-- this happens frequently for emergencies real and imagined).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes