Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

pgher

As the Cabinet members make a rush for the door, I wonder if there is a quorum issue for the 25th Amendment. Or, of course, the ones who haven't quit are the ones who would not remove him anyway.

Puget

I think there is a non-trivial (but still small) chance he will resign with the promise of a pardon from Pence (if he starts to doubt he can make a self-pardon stick). I would put that chance a lot higher than removal (either through the 25th or senate trial)-- impeachment seems pretty likely at this point but not removal (2/3 of the Senate couldn't agree on where to order take-out, let alone that).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Sun_Worshiper

There will not be 25th amendment: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/mnuchin-pompeo-discussed-trump-removal-after-dc-riots.html

Plan from within the administration is to run out the clock.* Removal by impeachment is possible, I guess, but I'm thinking resignation is the most likely of the three unlikely possibilities.

*"The general plan now is to let the clock run out," said one former senior administration official aware of the discussions. "There will be a reckoning for this president, but it doesn't need to happen in the next 13 days."

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Puget on January 07, 2021, 06:56:37 PM
I think there is a non-trivial (but still small) chance he will resign with the promise of a pardon from Pence (if he starts to doubt he can make a self-pardon stick). I would put that chance a lot higher than removal (either through the 25th or senate trial)-- impeachment seems pretty likely at this point but not removal (2/3 of the Senate couldn't agree on where to order take-out, let alone that).

I agree with this. Possible that 2/3 of Senate would support it in theory, but I don't think we'll even get to a vote before the 20th if impeachment happens.

clean

To give a nod to Star Wars....

"You cant win 'Chuck (Schumer)'.  If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." 

the dangers of Striking Him Down through the 25th amendment or impeachment. 

Rather Let him follow the lead of McArthur... let him just 'fade away'.

hmaria1609

Update: I didn't have to go to work today as part of our staff rotation. I'm back in next week.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: clean on January 07, 2021, 07:06:21 PM

"You cant win 'Chuck (Schumer)'.  If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." 

I don't know about him becoming more powerful than we can imagine, but yes he might provoke more violent chaos if removed from office. On the other hand, he might provoke more violent chaos as President.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 07, 2021, 08:20:30 PM
Quote from: clean on January 07, 2021, 07:06:21 PM

I don't know about him becoming more powerful than we can imagine, but yes he might provoke more violent chaos if removed from office. On the other hand, he might provoke more violent chaos as President.

Maybe he will be able to campaign in 2024 as the 'peace & prosperity' candidate. "You see, not only did I not get the USA involved in any new wars, but while I could have started one right here at home, I chose not to." Someone was asking which cartoon character Trump reminds them of and most said Yertle The Turtle (though I think Dr. Seuss had Hitler in mind). I would say the Cat in The Hat. He creates chaos, and just when you think total destruction is coming, he backs off and restores the appearance of order -- for now.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: clean on January 07, 2021, 06:40:54 PM

Do you think he could WIN???? 

He absolutely can. He came within 40 000 votes of winning this time. And the Dems are not exactly going to be running charisma magnets.
I know it's a genus.

clean

He absolutely can. He came within 40 000 votes of winning this time. And the Dems are not exactly going to be running charisma magnets.

That was THEN.  Since then, he has certainly lost SOME support.

But I reiterate, KEEPING him from running, would just give him more power to do harm. 

Hopefully, the New York courts will continue the investigations and he will find another place of government funded residence. 

ergative

Quote from: Puget on January 07, 2021, 06:56:37 PM

I have trouble imagining him accepting that he lacks power as president to do anything (like a self-pardon), or willingly trusting that someone else will hold up their side of a bargain when he's at a disadvantage. Resignation + pardon from prez Pence would probably be the smartest way to extricate himself from this mess, but he's not smart.

spork

Quote from: clean on January 07, 2021, 10:01:00 PM

[. . . ]

But I reiterate, KEEPING him from running, would just give him more power to do harm. 

[. . .]

No it wouldn't. It would speed his descent into irrelevance and death.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

There are now too few Cabinet members to support a 25th amendment invocation, per one article (CNN, NBC?) I just saw, will get the URL shortly.

Omar and another rep are each drafting impeachment articles and Pelosi is also talking impeachment.

The jus8sprudential shilly-shallying is just a form of denial and procrastination.

Consequences must be enacted immediately to have the limiting effect that is needed.

When did he back down over at least saying he'd conceded? After all his social media trumpets were stoppered.

He only "gets" clear, strong messages of limitation and consequential results to his behaviors.

If you've ever dealt with a seriously abusive individual, you'd realize all the theoreticals don't affect them, because their self-image lies to them, telling them they're above "all that" and can transcend it with their charm and the power of their personality.

The toddler keeps hitting his cousin to get the red block in the playpen until someone takes the block, or him,, or both,, out out the playpen.

"Running out the clock" is a really bad idea. Like a badly trained racehorse, Trump will just see it as license to create mayhem all the way into the final stretch, and he'll call the race "won" if he gets away with it.

So will his followers. And you know what THEY'RE like, now...we all do.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 07, 2021, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: clean on January 07, 2021, 06:40:54 PM

The thing to remember is how much of the Republican party didn't want him as a candidate in the first place. It was one thing to "support" him as long as he was elected under their banner, but I think the odds of him getting the nonmination again are slim; it would only be becuase of a serious dearth of reasonable alternatives. He caught them by surprise last time; he can't be "the outsider" anymore.
It takes so little to be above average.