Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sprout

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 01, 2020, 08:55:39 PM
Double post.

I think I was accidentally included on an email to the class asking for answers...WWTFD?

Reply all with a verbatim quote of your plagiarism/cheating statement from your syllabus, and possibly the academic integrity statement from your school's student handbook, with consequences laid out, and throw in a short discussion of professional expectations for good measure, tailored to whatever profession your students are most likely going into, if it's that sort of course.

the_geneticist

Quote from: sprout on July 02, 2020, 12:20:06 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 01, 2020, 08:55:39 PM
Double post.

I think I was accidentally included on an email to the class asking for answers...WWTFD?

Reply all with a verbatim quote of your plagiarism/cheating statement from your syllabus, and possibly the academic integrity statement from your school's student handbook, with consequences laid out, and throw in a short discussion of professional expectations for good measure, tailored to whatever profession your students are most likely going into, if it's that sort of course.

This.  And document it (save the email).  Forward it to your department chair to let them know what's happening.  This is a time to CYA in advance in case there are student complaints.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Currently grading Astronomy midterms. Student misidentifies the Sun's corona as the asteroid belt.

What makes it worse?

Apparently, the asteroid belt is made of stars and the Sun is a planet.

Juvenal

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 04, 2020, 05:27:52 PM
Currently grading Astronomy midterms. Student misidentifies the Sun's corona as the asteroid belt.

What makes it worse?

At least green cheese didn't show up.
Cranky septuagenarian

fishbrains

Quote from: Juvenal on July 05, 2020, 07:29:04 AM

What makes it worse?

At least green cheese didn't show up.

My teachers always said I should be an astronaut because all I did was take up space in school.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ergative

What makes it worse?

That reminds me of Catherynne Valente's beautiful vision of our solar system in Radiance.

apl68

What makes it worse?

Some of these students of outer space give the impression of kind of being there already.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

I have a student who is perplexed about why I am saying he didn't do all the quizzes.   I dunno, maybe it is the 33 assignments with no grade.

Seriously, how do you miss that?
You took quizzes for HALF of the chapters.  How is it confusing that you have Zeros for the ones you didn't take?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

He read E. Nesbit's "Half Magic," and is trying to make it come true?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: FishProf on July 07, 2020, 12:46:45 PM
I have a student who is perplexed about why I am saying he didn't do all the quizzes.   I dunno, maybe it is the 33 assignments with no grade.

Seriously, how do you miss that?
You took quizzes for HALF of the chapters.  How is it confusing that you have Zeros for the ones you didn't take?

I have one of those now, too. He wanted to know why he got 0/10 for participation, so I pointed out that while we're online, participation = 1 post in the discussion forum per week (for 1.5 points each!), and that he'd contributed 0 posts.

Now he says he remembers writing them but they've mysteriously disappeared, and maybe he erased them. smh
I know it's a genus.

Hegemony

Half Magic was by Edward Eager, although he was trying to recreate the atmosphere of E. Nesbitt.

Now I want to go read the whole oeuvre of each of them.

mamselle

Thanks!

Yes, in elementary school our librarian had a list of those books, and anything on pioneers that I hadn't read, and she knew to hold them for me until our class library time each week.

Sometimes she even saw me in the hall and let me know they were in....bad habits start young...

;--》

But yes, that's how long ago it's been...thank for the correction!

I'd forgotten the correct author.

M.

apl68

Quote from: Hegemony on July 08, 2020, 02:55:44 AM
Half Magic was by Edward Eager, although he was trying to recreate the atmosphere of E. Nesbitt.

Now I want to go read the whole oeuvre of each of them.

I saw a copy of Half Magic while I was in fifth grade and thought it looked interesting, but never got around to reading it.  Until about four or five years ago.  Not sure whether to be proud of that or embarrassed.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Just be glad you got to read them, maybe?

One thing I recall that seemed important about those books was that "the magic had rules" and part of the interest was figuring out what the "rules" were, and how they "worked."

It wasn't just run-of-the-mill, open-ended magic, there was structure and texture to it.

You entered into a conversation with its mysterious nature, you didn't just "get your own way" with it.

The magic had integrity.

M.