News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2020, 11:52:23 AM
I see a volunteer in the audience to rewrite the labs because people who can see the problem can solve it.

She writes knowing she has a Commodore 64 emulator installed on multiple computers to play M.U.L.E.

Unfortunately, I already have with some of them. It is total insanity to expect students, who may not be as computer-literate as some people think, to download, install and USE software that is no longer being supported.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 18, 2020, 12:39:37 PM
I see a volunteer in the audience to rewrite the labs because people who can see the problem can solve it.

She writes knowing she has a Commodore 64 emulator installed on multiple computers to play M.U.L.E.

Unfortunately, I already have with some of them. It is total insanity to expect students, who may not be as computer-literate as some people think, to download, install and USE software that is no longer being supported.

Better watch out or you'll find yourself volunteered into leading the effort to update & modernize ALL the labs!

polly_mer

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 18, 2020, 01:15:26 PM

Better watch out or you'll find yourself volunteered into leading the effort to update & modernize ALL the labs!

Been there, done that, been in charge of the T-shirts.

That experience is still part of my current work life, even with no students involved.

Some days, I get excited because the code is practically modern Fortran 77 or, dare to dream, ANSI-compliant Fortran 90!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

dr_codex

Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2020, 03:12:56 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on May 18, 2020, 01:15:26 PM

That experience is still part of my current work life, even with no students involved.

Some days, I get excited because the code is practically modern Fortran 77 or, dare to dream, ANSI-compliant Fortran 90!

Know COBOL? New Jersey wants YOU! https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/business/coronavirus-cobol-programmers-new-jersey-trnd/index.html The picture they got for this is priceless.

(My State's software package for some key systems is little better. Possibly unhackable, since the kids would have to call their grandparents to learn the language. But not comforting.)
back to the books.

mamselle

That looks like the exact room where they took us on a field trip to the Ohio State Computer lab in 6th grade (so, umm....1964. Wow.)

Right down to the double reels in cases and the desk (sitting on a floor with tiles that came up with a suction handle so they could work on the wires that snaked all around underneath.)

But I don't think COBOL came around until later, because I recall a cousin talking about learning it several years later (well, 6 or 8, to be exact) because it was when I was going to school there by that time (but not in computer science).

They cut down part of one of the experimental corn fields to build the building it was installed in.

The rest of the field was still there, at least two years ago.

So was the building.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Bah! Newfangled nonsense. I programmed Fortran on punch cards, the way God intended!
It takes so little to be above average.

waterboy

Don't ask me what the Grad School policy is. You're the Associate Dean for Grad studies...pick up the phone and call.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 19, 2020, 05:28:13 AM

Bah! Newfangled nonsense. I programmed Fortran on punch cards, the way God intended!

That reminds me of my Fortran prof in college who gave us some punch cards. I wonder if I still have mine...

OneMoreYear

When you say things like you don't think faculty "appreciate" just how bad things are, you are essentially calling your faculty idjits.  We have been in a budget crisis for years due to absurdly horrible mismanagement from the top. So, you really don't think that your faculty can correctly solve the equation of things are already bad + COVID = dire straits

polly_mer

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 19, 2020, 06:28:21 AM
When you say things like you don't think faculty "appreciate" just how bad things are, you are essentially calling your faculty idjits.  We have been in a budget crisis for years due to absurdly horrible mismanagement from the top. So, you really don't think that your faculty can correctly solve the equation of things are already bad + COVID = dire straits?

Any faculty who really, truly, no-foolin' appreciated how bad it was before have already left.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

marshwiggle

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 19, 2020, 06:28:21 AM
When you say things like you don't think faculty "appreciate" just how bad things are, you are essentially calling your faculty idjits.  We have been in a budget crisis for years due to absurdly horrible mismanagement from the top. So, you really don't think that your faculty can correctly solve the equation of things are already bad + COVID = dire straits?

But dire straits => "Money for nothing"
It takes so little to be above average.

ergative

Sweetheart, I'm very sorry you cut your finger. I agree that it looks painful and scary. But you put pressure on it and the bleeding stopped pretty fast. Judging from the stains on the paper towels, you've lost less blood than I leave on a tissue when I wipe my nose during nosebleed season.

So cool it with your fretting about blood loss. Sweets are great when you've had a scare, but you don't need to be replacing blood sugar, and you certainly don't need to be taking iron supplements to prevent anemia. I mean, it's not going to hurt you or deprive others to take these measures, unlike certain hydroxychloroquine swilling world leaders I could mention, but good grief, you're almost forty.

Vkw10

No, I can't make the custodians wear masks and gloves. I'm not their supervisor. Put a custodial issue ticket, where maybe the supervisor will see it.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

the_geneticist

Quote from: ergative on May 19, 2020, 07:21:48 AM
Sweetheart, I'm very sorry you cut your finger. I agree that it looks painful and scary. But you put pressure on it and the bleeding stopped pretty fast. Judging from the stains on the paper towels, you've lost less blood than I leave on a tissue when I wipe my nose during nosebleed season.

So cool it with your fretting about blood loss. Sweets are great when you've had a scare, but you don't need to be replacing blood sugar, and you certainly don't need to be taking iron supplements to prevent anemia. I mean, it's not going to hurt you or deprive others to take these measures, unlike certain hydroxychloroquine swilling world leaders I could mention, but good grief, you're almost forty.

I'm guessing your sweetheart is a man.  I had a similar when Mr. Dr. Geneticist sliced his finger - no you don't need stitches, you haven't lost much blood (really), it will be OK, you will not bleed to death from a cut that size. 

mamselle

HYPOCHONDRIAC THREAD
       _________
      / THIS WAY
      \_________

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.