Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Unrelated

Student:

According to the syllabus, I do not respond to email on weekends, so that, you know, I can have some time off. Considering that I put in 10+ hour days responding to email, creating content, grading and dealing with dumbass administration mistakes, I think that it's ok that I don't respond to your Saturday email asking about your grade. IMO, if you can't calculate your grade, then you really shouldn't be in college.

Economizer

What, not wear masks! I am amazed that we are not tightening up restrictions as opposed to loosening them. That goes right down to manditory clean grooming enforcement and no spitting on sidewalks enforcement!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

OneMoreYear

Student, if you are going to lie to me, lie about something not so easily checked.  Lying about something that obvious makes me think that you don't think I'm very smart.

ab_grp

I'm delighted that you're delighted to tell us all about your recent [reorg, article, etc.].

jimbogumbo

mamselle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 28, 2020, 08:38:16 AM
You guys are stark raving mad!

Can I borrow this?

The dozen sweet, well-meaning board members I'm dealing with this week deserve to hear it at least once a day, but it's not my job to say it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on October 28, 2020, 09:41:20 AM

Can I borrow this?

The dozen sweet, well-meaning board members I'm dealing with this week deserve to hear it at least once a day, but it's not my job to say it.

M.

Feel free!

apl68

I appreciate your concern about murder hornets and wanting to keep the building safe from any insect threats.  But I felt a little silly showing our pest control sprayer that deceased garden-variety bug you insisted on saving for him just to reassure you that we'd checked it out with an expert.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Quote from: mamselle on October 28, 2020, 09:41:20 AM

Can I borrow this?

M.

Somehow I read that as "the dozen sweet-smelling board members."  HUH?  Clearly, it's time to shut things down for the day.

mahagonny

So you wrote a whole article to complain that Trump tried to appeal to the female vote by saying 'I'm putting your husbands back to work' and how sexist that is, and how no women will vote for him now. He just put a woman on the Supreme Court. He knows women work full time. 839 words to say one silly thing. This is how much feminists don't get America.

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on October 29, 2020, 03:42:17 PM
So you wrote a whole article to complain that Trump tried to appeal to the female vote by saying 'I'm putting your husbands back to work' and how sexist that is, and how no women will vote for him now. He just put a woman on the Supreme Court. He knows women work full time. 839 words to say one silly thing. This is how much feminists don't get America.

The article I read was more than 839 words on that topic.  The commentariat was not kind to the author in the comments.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

FishProf

Dear Provost,
Congratulations!  You have entirely alienated the faculty, especially the Department Chairs.  Your acontractual and anti-contractual dictates have burned any residual good will you may have had.

Have you ever heard of malicious compliance?  You are about to experience a full-on demonstration.

This isn't going to end the way you think.

Fishprof
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: mahagonny on October 29, 2020, 03:42:17 PM

Starting with.....hmm....Anne Dudley Hutchinson? Philis Wheatly?

Mercy Warren Oliver? Deborah Sampson? ...Abigail Smith Adams?

Their voices and actions contributed as much to the strength and survival of this land as those of their male contemporaries.

Maybe your concept of nation is too small....

M.

OneMoreYear

No, clueless upper-level administrator, the reason that our department requires an administrative assistant is not because the faculty don't want to make their copies.  I just can't even . . .