The murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, MN last Monday, May 25

Started by mamselle, May 31, 2020, 09:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

spork

The Fulton County district attorney has issued arrest warrants for the six police officers involved in the Tasering and arrest of two black college students in Atlanta. Two of the officers have already been fired. Charges include aggravated assault and criminal property damage.

Account of the event in The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/05/31/us/ap-us-america-protests-atlanta-excessive-force.html.

Press conference today detailing what led to criminal charges against police officers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4EcMMO6FFE.

Video of police body cam footage of the event, followed by mayor's statement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fSZiG4BMLs.

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Catherder

More American (and Canadian) institutions have to respond to brutality with definitive action. I just read a statement from the president of my alma mater in Massachusetts.  Following the tear-gassing and arrest of peaceful demonstrators in the university neighbourhood, he has ended all university association with or use of the municipal police, and is launching an inquiry into the events at the demonstration with the promise of making findings public.

secundem_artem

A number of years ago, one of my students was married to a police officer.  Her husband's police force had just been involved in a major chase which resulted in the driver being pulled out of the car and getting some up close and personal experience with a series of billy clubs and police boots.

As her husband told her, once the adrenaline kicks in during a chase (or presumably a riot), the lizard brain takes over and people should not be surprised when Officer Barbrady let's his inner bully off the leash.

That all sounds well and good, but if us civilians get all ramped up in a given situation and don't have full control over our actions, words or emotions.... well you can guess how that ends.

I had several police officers in my family and a former high school classmate go into the force.  It may be a stereotype, but it does seem that far too many members along the thin blue line were academically mediocre high school football players who needed an excuse to maintain their liking for occasional lashings of the old ultra-violence.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mahagonny

Interesting ^

A friend of mine's son was shot to death by an off duty police officer. They claimed he had held up the off duty (or was it plain-clothed)  cop and his wife at knife point and was shot because the policeman feared for their lives. The family asked, how did he he get a knife on the plane with him (he was on a two day vacation.) I don't know what happened, but I don't see why he had to be shot to death. White guy. There were no marches. Investigation cleared the cop.

marshwiggle

Quote from: secundem_artem on June 03, 2020, 08:32:46 AM
I had several police officers in my family and a former high school classmate go into the force.  It may be a stereotype, but it does seem that far too many members along the thin blue line were academically mediocre high school football players who needed an excuse to maintain their liking for occasional lashings of the old ultra-violence.

The other side of that coin is thinking about why anyone would want to go into the profession. You get yelled at, insulted, occasionally have to put your life at risk, the pay isn't great, and when you have the most difficult situations to deal with (i.e. violent confrontations), your actions are going to be the most scrutinized after the fact.

Like working in a long term care home and having to change adult diapers (and clean up those kind of messes) for minimum wage or close to it, I'm amazed anyone does it.

There are a whole class of jobs we couldn't do without but have so many negative things about them that it's incredible they get any applicants.
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 03, 2020, 08:55:28 AM

The other side of that coin is thinking about why anyone would want to go into the profession. You get yelled at, insulted, occasionally have to put your life at risk, the pay isn't great, and when you have the most difficult situations to deal with (i.e. violent confrontations), your actions are going to be the most scrutinized after the fact.

Like working in a long term care home and having to change adult diapers (and clean up those kind of messes) for minimum wage or close to it, I'm amazed anyone does it.

There are a whole class of jobs we couldn't do without but have so many negative things about them that it's incredible they get any applicants.

FWIW, in this part of the country a recruit fresh out of the academy (for which they need only a HS diploma) is paid more than I am. And that's already more than the median household income in this part of the country. With three years of experience, they earn more than the highest-paid profs at my university. And that's all before overtime.

While it's true that our faculty are the lowest-paid in the country, and I would consider our salaries low, they're relatively low. For an 18 year-old or a 21 year-old with only a HS diploma, that's quite high.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

In our town police and firefighters make little more than state minimum starting out. I make more than either chief--and I'm one of the lowest-paid qualified librarians in the state.  We get freshly-qualified police and firefighters passing through who use our town as a way-station to better-paid work.  We've also got a core of firefighters and officers (and other civic employees) who put up with the atrocious pay long-term because this is their community and they want to be a part of it.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

No demonstrations here so far.  There were reports a couple of nights ago of youths congregating and throwing rocks.  It had some people worried, but nothing seems to have come of it.

Tomorrow evening there is a community solidarity event scheduled at a public site.  The police chief and mayor are among the organizers.

One of my staff members has a son in the National Guard who was deployed to watch demonstrations in the state capital.  Though we've had little violence in our state, the mother was having trouble sleeping for worrying about her son.  Understandable, given that a number of law officers have been shot, run over, or stoned nationwide during these protests.  Those officers and Guard troops are somebody's loved ones too.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mahagonny

A number of years ago, one of my students was married to a police officer.  Her husband's police force had just been involved in a major chase which resulted in the driver being pulled out of the car and getting some up close and personal experience with a series of billy clubs and police boots.

As her husband told her, once the adrenaline kicks in during a chase (or presumably a riot), the lizard brain takes over and people should not be surprised when Officer Barbrady let's his inner bully off the leash.

That all sounds well and good, but if us civilians get all ramped up in a given situation and don't have full control over our actions, words or emotions.... well you can guess how that ends.

Wouldn't quarrel with this, but...OTOH, I may score higher on an IQ test, but wouldn't want me protecting me as a cop. Not even after extensive training. Maybe if I were taller and stronger. But probably not. It takes a certain kind of physical courage and a strong stomach.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 03, 2020, 02:10:49 PM
Chauvin's charge has been upgraded to second-degree murder, and the three other cops are being charged with aiding and abetting.

I still remember the visceral shock the first time I saw the Rodney King beating.  I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I remember the shock when the officer-assailants were acquitted even though there was proof that they had lied in their reports.

And I remember the fear in my mother's voice when she called me to make sure I was okay when she saw images of the riots in L.A. (which I was nowhere near) on the news.  There were no riots in my city back then, but there was tension in the air.

Geeze I hope we don't have that again.

What I said before is that a lot of this depends on where one is and the society surrounding perpetrators and cops.  I think some of these cities and isolated rural locals are just cultural pressure-cookers, and that seems to make a huge difference.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

spork

Very few Minneapolis police officers actually live in the city of Minneapolis. Hardly any, or maybe zero, live in the city's heavily segregated non-white, poor neighborhoods.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Parasaurolophus

Jacobin has two (incomplete) compendia of police violence during these protests. I recommend reading them, but you should be warned that it's really, really disturbing.

Compendium 1
Compendium 2

Meanwhile, in Canada, it looks like the cops have drawn some inspiration from their American counterparts and decided to go on killing and brutality sprees of their own.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 05, 2020, 10:39:16 AM
Jacobin has two (incomplete) compendia of police violence during these protests. I recommend reading them, but you should be warned that it's really, really disturbing.

Compendium 1
Compendium 2

Meanwhile, in Canada, it looks like the cops have drawn some inspiration from their American counterparts and decided to go on killing and brutality sprees of their own.

"Killing sprees"? To what are you referring?
It takes so little to be above average.