The murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, MN last Monday, May 25

Started by mamselle, May 31, 2020, 09:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on April 14, 2021, 11:47:29 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 14, 2021, 11:27:28 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on April 14, 2021, 10:43:26 AM

So we should be considering the possibility that Officer Kim Potter was hoping to quit her job suddenly in disgrace and receive death threats?

We shouldn't rush to buy the narrative that it was a tragic accident that could have happened to anybody.
I don't believe there a narrative like that, not 'happening' to someone as in, you are sitting there and you are struck by lightning. Each party did certain things which prompted the other party to do things, including, quite possibly, mistakes. When the police say it was an accident I take them to mean she didn't want to shoot the victim with a bullet. I can't see any reason to doubt it. Although I have heard they are less likely to use lethal force on black suspects than white.

You may have "heard" the bolded part, but it Just.Isn't.True.

https://www.theroot.com/maybe-america-is-racist-1846667213

mahagonny

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

Returning to the subject of what happened in the tragic death of Mr. Wright, how civilians act when having an encounter with the police can be a major factor in what 'happens' to them, although (please read carefully) we agree that it is indeed a tragedy that he was fatally shot earlier this week. And speaking of the Root, Dr. Henry Louis Gates might know something about these situations, firsthand.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on April 15, 2021, 07:54:56 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

Returning to the subject of what happened in the tragic death of Mr. Wright, how civilians act when having an encounter with the police can be a major factor in what 'happens' to them, although (please read carefully) we agree that it is indeed a tragedy that he was fatally shot earlier this week. And speaking of the Root, Dr. Henry Louis Gates might know something about it, firsthand.

He made a big mistake:
Mr. Fryer, the youngest African-American to receive tenure at Harvard and the first to win a John Bates Clark medal, a prize given to the most promising American economist under 40, said anger after the deaths of Michael Brown, Freddie Gray and others drove him to study the issue. "You know, protesting is not my thing," he said. "But data is my thing. So I decided that I was going to collect a bunch of data and try to understand what really is going on when it comes to racial differences in police use of force."

Not protesting? Collecting data? Trying to understand?

He clearly doesn't understand how he's supposed to approach these issues.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Gotta love the Daily Kos. Starts out with " If there is any doubt that police will go out of the way not to shoot a violent white man yet is trigger happy with POCs, this is." And the headline is "White Anti-Mask Driver Flees, Hits Cop 'Hanging' From Truck w/Hammer in Minnesota, And Isn't Shot."

So from one incident we can extrapolate to an entire nation? And, radicalized, radicalized coverage much?

jimbogumbo

I will again point you back to what I posted above. Try to get past the Henry Gates sentence, and look at the numerous links to data, which is why I posted the darn thing in the first place.

mahagonny

Can you actually read Michael Harriott without cracking up? What a nutcase. Pathetic. Self pity elevated to...I don't know what.
on edit: OK, I mean, more like this. At some point wouldn't you think, "who cares if white people take their privilege for granted. Can't I say 'screw you, I'm gonna make it without your help, 'cause you can't keep a good man down.'" I would expect to see some of that attitude at some point. I actually wonder about it. I don't think Harriott writes about anything but the ubiquitous persecution of blacks. How about rock collecting?

Descartes

Quote from: nebo113 on April 16, 2021, 05:29:43 AM
White man doesn't get shot at after fleeing and beating police officer with hammer....in Minnesota.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/4/15/2026143/-White-Anti-Mask-Driver-Flees-Hits-Cop-Hanging-From-Truck-w-Hammer-in-Minnesota-And-Isn-t-Shot

This is a sloppy way of arguing and someone who is educated knows better.

You know that cops are different people with different experience levels, even training, different thresholds of fear, yes, different prejudices, and all scenarios aren't equal, right?

Maybe this guy SHOULD have shot the white guy and froze up, too chicken to do it.  That doesn't make one a better cop than a cop who shoots when he shouldn't.

nebo113

Quote from: Descartes on April 17, 2021, 01:32:24 PM
White man doesn't get shot at after fleeing and beating police officer with hammer....in Minnesota.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/4/15/2026143/-White-Anti-Mask-Driver-Flees-Hits-Cop-Hanging-From-Truck-w-Hammer-in-Minnesota-And-Isn-t-Shot

You know that cops are different people with different experience levels, even training, different thresholds of fear, yes, different prejudices, and all scenarios aren't equal, right?

Maybe this guy SHOULD have shot the white guy and froze up, too chicken to do it.  That doesn't make one a better cop than a cop who shoots when he shouldn't.

Sigh.....you are correct.  I have been exposed to mahogonny for so long that I am channeling his/her sloppiness.  However, it does anger me that one person (a white man) attacks an officer and lives, while another (a black man) doesn't attack and dies.  Your point about the differences among law enforcement officers is well taken, and one that we should perhaps explore.  Dan Abrams (son of 1st amendment attorney Floyd) has a program on Sirius XM focused on the overlap between law and politics.  He is generally very supportive of LE, though very clear eyed about shortcomings in the legal system of which LE is a component.  One program this week focused on the very point you're making:  cops are individuals, most good, some bad.  I do think that (like K12 teachers), they are over worked, undertrained, underpaid, and asked to deal with society's ills that might best be healed elsewhere.

lightning

Quote from: nebo113 on April 18, 2021, 07:29:00 AM
Quote from: Descartes on April 17, 2021, 01:32:24 PM

Sigh.....you are correct.  I have been exposed to mahogonny for so long that I am channeling his/her sloppiness.  However, it does anger me that one person (a white man) attacks an officer and lives, while another (a black man) doesn't attack and dies.  Your point about the differences among law enforcement officers is well taken, and one that we should perhaps explore.  Dan Abrams (son of 1st amendment attorney Floyd) has a program on Sirius XM focused on the overlap between law and politics.  He is generally very supportive of LE, though very clear eyed about shortcomings in the legal system of which LE is a component.  One program this week focused on the very point you're making:  cops are individuals, most good, some bad.  I do think that (like K12 teachers), they are over worked, undertrained, underpaid, and asked to deal with society's ills that might best be healed elsewhere.

There is no need to make excuses for yourself, nebo113. Many of us knew what you were doing--you were goofing on our lovable resident village fool, and I got a chuckle out of it. Thank you.

spork

More than three people per day killed in the USA by police during the trial of Derek Chauvin:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/17/us/police-shootings-killings.html.

More than half of them Black and Latino.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mahagonny

spork

Quote from: mahagonny on April 19, 2021, 10:19:00 AM
Maxine Waters could get censured (or more) for inciting violence. Of course, she could argue the violence was being planned already. Sound familiar?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2021/04/19/republicans-from-mccarthy-to-marjorie-taylor-greene-push-for-action-against-maxine-waters/?sh=58c2245d7e6b

How about your thoughts on the previous murder conviction of a Minneapolis police officer, since you're so fixated on race?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/us/minneapolis-police-sentencing-mohamed-noor.html
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mahagonny

Quote from: spork on April 19, 2021, 04:49:52 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on April 19, 2021, 10:19:00 AM
Maxine Waters could get censured (or more) for inciting violence. Of course, she could argue the violence was being planned already. Sound familiar?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2021/04/19/republicans-from-mccarthy-to-marjorie-taylor-greene-push-for-action-against-maxine-waters/?sh=58c2245d7e6b

How about your thoughts on the previous murder conviction of a Minneapolis police officer, since you're so fixated on race?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/us/minneapolis-police-sentencing-mohamed-noor.html

It's hard to say a lot about it. I'm hearing about it for the first time; whereas; I almost can't check the weather report without hearing the name 'George Floyd.'
It seems to me the sentence was a bit on the long side considering that Ms. Justine Damond should have  spoken before approaching the squad car to alert them.
And that's why we need to do more. All of us - me, you, the chair, the dean, all of us - to combat systemic racism. We need more training, so we can think, speak and teach anti-racistly. And no more tolerating those micro aggressions. When the colleague next to you says something that might make a person of color uncomfortable if they were in the room to hear it, call them out! Give them a stern lecture about the evils of white supremacy. And keep an eye on them from now on. If you're not getting through to them, talk about lynchings.