News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Running Thread

Started by spork, July 28, 2020, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

Thanks for all the ideas! I have always known that I should warm up but when I was younger I could get away with it. Now that I'm older, I'm learning my "new" body which is not as forgiving.

Mamselle, I like your warm-up and it looks like it will help by starting slow and more thoroughly warming up everything. Thank you! I will try this.

Charlotte

Quote from: downer on June 26, 2021, 04:34:38 AM
I find that getting the right shoes is more important with age. That tends to mean getting more expensive shoes and replacing them more often. Also getting separate inserts.

I am guilty of not wearing good shoes. I run on a trail that often is wet and muddy so I hate to destroy good shoes on it. I've been wearing old running shoes for that reason. It seems wrong to spend so much money on running shoes that will be muddy after one run. But it is likely a good part of my problem.

I tend to be a little flat footed so I suspect I need to find shoes that will help my arches more. I've been meaning to go to a store and talk to someone about how to find good shoes for me but I've been putting it off because it will probably mean spending $100 or more on new shoes. It might be worth it but it will be a little painful!

downer

One step would be to at least get good inserts for your existing shoes. You can easily spend $50 on them, but there are also cheaper versions available online. Whether the cheaper versions are as good as the expensive ones I don't know, but they seem to work ok for me.

Quote from: Charlotte on June 27, 2021, 07:05:59 AM
I find that getting the right shoes is more important with age. That tends to mean getting more expensive shoes and replacing them more often. Also getting separate inserts.

I am guilty of not wearing good shoes. I run on a trail that often is wet and muddy so I hate to destroy good shoes on it. I've been wearing old running shoes for that reason. It seems wrong to spend so much money on running shoes that will be muddy after one run. But it is likely a good part of my problem.

I tend to be a little flat footed so I suspect I need to find shoes that will help my arches more. I've been meaning to go to a store and talk to someone about how to find good shoes for me but I've been putting it off because it will probably mean spending $100 or more on new shoes. It might be worth it but it will be a little painful!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

You definitely need good shoes, and you need to understand how your foot construction may both help and hinder your running capacity.

Usually orthotics that life the arch a bit are useful; be sure they don't lift it too much.

I'm less in favor of negative-heel shoes (which is the same result with over-high arch othotics); they tend to overstretch the Achilles tendon and related joint capsule components, weakening them (unless your podiatrist has specifically diagnosed a need for them, then listen to them, not me...).

Old shoes that have worn down just where you tend to pronate or suppinate will also exacerbate your tendency to injury, whether walking or running, and will create a negative-heel alignment as well.

Good foot support also keeps sprains from twisting as much and can help keep a sprain from turning into a break...

I do spend about $75-100/purchase twice a year on shoes; I have lately found one style I like and I buy two at a time so I don't have to go back again.

You can't stint on what your feet need to be safe and healthy without a downriver cost that's usually much higher.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Quote from: Charlotte on June 27, 2021, 07:05:59 AM

Disclaimer: I am not a physician, and I have congenitally flat feet and semi-chronic, running-induced plantar fasciitis.

Over time, the foam in the midsole that lessens impact on your joints gets permanently compressed, regardless of tread wear on the outsole. Buy new shoes! Your feet, knees, and hips will thank you. Wear your existing pair in a shoe store, compare to a brand new pair of the same model, and you will probably notice the difference.

Per advice from the local podiatrist that all the runners go to, I've gotten into the habit of using two pairs of running shoes that I purchase six months apart. For each pair I'm using, I start looking for a new pair at about the one year mark (which for me works out to a total of ~ 400 miles per pair over the course of a year).

Running shoes can be washed: https://www.on-running.com/en-us/articles/how-to-wash-running-shoes. By alternating between pairs, the pair that's been washed has a chance to dry out. And I have a completely separate (third) pair of running shoes, different model, that I dedicate to wearing while walking around. I only wear the shoes that I run in when I'm running.

Regularly purchasing new running shoes may seem expensive, but you're probably looking at $120-$150 per pair, so ~ $300 per year in new shoes. Less than $1 per day. Far cheaper than most gym memberships and a miniscule amount when it comes to investing in your long-term health.

I have custom orthotics, from the podiatrist. I would investigate off the shelf arch supports before going the custom route -- far less expensive. The insoles in running shoes don't do anything in terms of arch support or stability.

There is no science behind minimalist/barefoot running. The fad took off with the publication of Chris McDougall's Born to Run (a good read, just not about shoes and human biomechanics) and has since pretty much died out. Through it all the professional endurance runners wore "normal" running shoes with foam cushioning.

However, I will say that I think the "stability/motion control" concept used by running shoe manufacturers to drive sales is on its way out. Manufacturers claimed that the medial post helped prevent injury from "over-pronation" for decades, yet this claim rested on assumptions rather than empirical data. Now several companies are producing "stability/motion control" models that lack a medial post. Having just switched from these models to the ultra-springy Saucony Endorphin Speeds, my feet and knees are much happier, despite these shoes lacking any of the "stability/motion control" features of the different shoe brands/models that I've worn over the last decade. 

More important than the above is to find shoes that your feet feel comfortable in. Shoes from different companies fit differently, and different models from the same company do, too. And companies often tweak a model's design from year to year, which I hate. Your feet will be happiest with a goldilocks fit. Try on a bunch of different shoes and see what feels good.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

downer

I find that trying shoes on in the store is not a lot of help. You need to know how they feel during a run, when your feet may have expanded a bit.

I've had some luck getting shoes on eBay, Poshmark or Zappos. Sometimes gently used ones a lot less than full price. It gives you a chance to try out shoes and find ones that work well for you. I will mostly use my own inserts for any used shoes I buy.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ergative

Quote from: spork on June 27, 2021, 11:56:09 AM
More important than the above is to find shoes that your feet feel comfortable in.

I remember seeing an article discussing a study done on military . . . recruits? People who do a lot of walking/running. Half were 'professionally fitted' with boots that were supposed to match their walking/running/pronation/arches, etc. The other half were told to choose the boots that were most comfortable. At the end of the study period the people with the 'comfortable' boots had fewer injuries than the professionally fitted boots.

I remember nothing about the sample size, the duration of the study, the definition of what counted as an injury, or any discussion of how those injuries may or may not be related to shoes. I only remember the conclusion, which was that comfort during try-on outperformed any special shoe-fitting 'science'. This corresponded with my preferred beliefs, and so I adopted it in my own shoe-buying praxis.

pink_

Spork! I had no idea that things got so rough for you there for a while--glad to know that you're back on the right track!

And for the lovely of whatever is holy in your world--invest in decent shoes and a proper warm up! (Hi M!) If you do a lot of trail running, you should think about trail shoes that can provide traction and generally withstand mud and roots and rocks better than road models.

I have noticed what others have said about stability models moving out, and it really bums me out because while I have orthotics and use them in my neutral shoes these days, my best shoes were a now discontinued stability line.

In any case, warm ups.Yes. Mine involve leg swings in various directions and a few other movements to get the blood flowing plus the first mile is always very slow and easy. I have two pairs of shoes that I wear on alternate days--they are the same model but have different mileage on them. I can definitely feel it in my knees and hips when they need to be retired (I try not to reach that point). But I generally run more than many normal people--6 days a week and usually around 40 miles, but it's summer now, and I live in the SE, which means running really sucks for the next two months. Then it's awesome.

Charlotte

So much good info here! Thank you! I've started looking for better shoes. I will buy some inserts for the old ones and switch them out to give them time to dry out.

I know prevention is worth a pound of cure... I just need to get over that hesitation about the expense and remember it is saving me from expensive problems later on!

Running has been very useful for me especially lately. The stress of work and I've become the primary caretaker of my mother in law who is experiencing serious health issues. I've been making time to get up early before anyone else and going for a run. Sometimes, I squeeze in a run at the end of the day and I feel SO much better. It is helping me stay sane with everything going on.

traductio

Quote from: Charlotte on July 02, 2021, 11:44:59 AM
I know prevention is worth a pound of cure... I just need to get over that hesitation about the expense and remember it is saving me from expensive problems later on!

Once I started thinking of my new running shoes as a mental health expense (because it is!), I had no problem buying a new pair when the old wore out. It's made a world of difference -- well, that and the stretches my spouse (a yoga teacher) taught me.

spork

Had to drastically scale back my attempt at maintaining 20 miles per week. I had a twingy knee tendon before increasing my mileage -- at the lateral tibial tuberosity, so possibly via the vastus lateralis -- and I think the rest of my leg tried to compensate for it. My calf muscle seized up. A physician probably would have diagnosed it as a severe strain. Did not run at all for a week, then did a couple laps around the track. Two days after that I did a slow jog of three miles, which was probably just past the limit of what I should have done. I've been doing yoga and rolling on a PVC pipe, and things continue to improve. I've also started hamstring exercises with kettlebells.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

traductio

Quote from: spork on July 08, 2021, 01:42:07 PM
Had to drastically scale back my attempt at maintaining 20 miles per week. I had a twingy knee tendon before increasing my mileage -- at the lateral tibial tuberosity, so possibly via the vastus lateralis -- and I think the rest of my leg tried to compensate for it. My calf muscle seized up. A physician probably would have diagnosed it as a severe strain. Did not run at all for a week, then did a couple laps around the track. Two days after that I did a slow jog of three miles, which was probably just past the limit of what I should have done. I've been doing yoga and rolling on a PVC pipe, and things continue to improve. I've also started hamstring exercises with kettlebells.

Spork, I think you were the one who suggested (somewhere quite a ways upthread) standing on an inclined plane that placed your ankles below the level of the ball of your feet. I've been doing that, and with great success -- thank you. I hope you recover soon, too!

My goal has been 20 to 24km a week -- I'm from the States and think in miles, but I live in Canada, where I have the excuse to measure in metric, and I like the way it boosted my numbers immediately. (Didn't boost my mileage, but that's okay.) I did my first 10k of the season last night, and it was excellent.

spork

Quote from: traductio on July 08, 2021, 02:18:06 PM
Quote from: spork on July 08, 2021, 01:42:07 PM

Spork, I think you were the one who suggested (somewhere quite a ways upthread) standing on an inclined plane that placed your ankles below the level of the ball of your feet. I've been doing that, and with great success -- thank you. I hope you recover soon, too!

My goal has been 20 to 24km a week -- I'm from the States and think in miles, but I live in Canada, where I have the excuse to measure in metric, and I like the way it boosted my numbers immediately. (Didn't boost my mileage, but that's okay.) I did my first 10k of the season last night, and it was excellent.

Using the inclined plane while working at my standing desk at home has been my most effective treatment/prevention method for my plantar fasciitis.

Sun_Worshiper

It has been too hot to run (even early morning). I'm working out with a medicine ball and doing pushups, and I managed to squeeze in a couple of runs in June on cooler mornings, but I can feel myself losing stamina and core strength. Oh well, I'll get back to it when whether permits.

ergative

After living in my current place for over four years, I have finally discovered that, in addition to the river walk that greets me when I turn right out of my front door, there's an associated canal walk that greets me if I turn left. Four years! And it was just a few blocks away!

The canal walk is a superb place to run. The canal is built to be flat, so there are no hills. There are no intersections. It is wider than the river walk, with big patches of grassy banks so I can get off the pavement and avoid crowds. There are bridges across the canal to a new park being constructed, which looks very nice, and it goes about a mile and half before running into the big highway that transects our city, so out and back is a tidy three mile run. I'm so pleased! I love not having to dodge traffic and not needing to brace myself for hills. I love it!