News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Running Thread

Started by spork, July 28, 2020, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgher

Last weekend, I had to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt, and was a little cool. Today, I was in shorts & T-shirt and a little hot. Looks like I need to start running early morning instead of late afternoon!

ergative

The weather has been outstanding this week. Warm and sunny, exactly the right temperature for running in shorts and t-shirt without feeling too cold when I start, or overheated when I finish. I went three times this week, which is the most frequent I've managed to date this year, and it's great.

I've also splurged and bought myself some proper running shorts. Before now I've been wearing some shorts I appropriated after they'd languished for some weeks in a shared laundry room in my college apartment, which fit fine (and had great pockets for tissues/mp3 player/keys), but rubbed between my legs and the elastic is beginning to go. My current shorts are really comfortable, and a revelation about what exercise people mean when they say 'moisture wicking'. My goodness! Excellent purchase.

My next present to myself is proper running socks. I don't want to get in the situation I was in last fall, when I was regularly getting blisters on the same place on my right foot.

Also the heel pain I mentioned a few weeks ago seems to be easing a bit. I still feel it, but I've been pretty diligent about stretching out my heels, and this improvement continues even though I've been increasing my frequency (and decreasing just a bit the amount of walking I do). I'm hopeful that perhaps finally my meatsack is adjusting to this.

pgher

I'm a big fan of my Injinji toe socks. I had my doubts before I got them, but they really do make a difference.

ergative

Quote from: pgher on April 24, 2021, 05:46:21 AM
I'm a big fan of my Injinji toe socks. I had my doubts before I got them, but they really do make a difference.

I kid you not, my first thought about toe socks for running as 'let's learn to walk before we run'. Which is misaligned, yes, but quite brilliantly so.

spork

Quote from: pgher on April 24, 2021, 05:46:21 AM

Never used toe socks before, but I love Vitalsox for both running and traveling. They can be rinsed in the shower and are quick to dry.

Ramadanathon of 13.1 miles completed last week at 34 F. Today I ran 8 miles at 50 F, and it was far more pleasant.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ergative

I used my new smartwool socks for the first time today, and they were great!

I also miscalculated the temperature and wore tights, when I should have worn shorts. Oh, well.

pink_

Big fan of injinjis here too. Otherwise, I tend to get blisters under my nails and that's just gross. And painful.

spork

Quote from: pink_ on May 04, 2021, 03:40:32 PM
Big fan of injinjis here too. Otherwise, I tend to get blisters under my nails and that's just gross. And painful.

Do you drill through the nail to let the blood out?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

pink_

I sterilize a safety pin, but same idea. It's gnarly.

spork

Quote from: pink_ on May 04, 2021, 03:40:32 PM

Poor lass. If I were there, I'd do it for you.

Any change with different brands of shoe that fit differently?

pink_

LOL. My feet are just a mess in general. Much of it is genetics (bunion, hammer toe), but all the miles over the years don't do me any favors either. I am currently wearing Nike Pegasus with orthotics, which seems to be the best compromise. Nike shoes fit my foot the best and generally cause fewest problems. I currently have all 10 nails, but we'll see how long it lasts.

spork

My congenital lower extremity problem is flat feet, which is probably the precipitating factor for the persistent low-grade plantar fasciitis I have at the left heel. I get calluses at the end of my very long second toes, but have never had "black toe syndrome" of blisters under the nails. Could this be a function of gait -- i.e., compression against the top of the shoe when pushing off the foot?

Ran 8.2 miles this morning. I haven't taken a nap yet and did some digging in the backyard, so I will probably collapse at about 5:00 pm.

ergative

We had perfect running weather today--overcast enough to have no glare, but warm enough to making shorts + t-shirt comfy, and not so warm as to get oppressive. I squeezed my regular three-mile route in before a Happy Mother's Day call to my mother + grandmother.

My heel pain has been really resolving itself! Hardly any this last week. Perhaps my heels have learned that it's no use complaining and they need to accept this new exercise regime. We'll see how long they put up with it, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

ergative

Heels are continuing fine, weather continues fine. I'm stretching the portions of my route that are running, and shortening the walking bits. I can see the occasional muscle in my thighs.

spork

7.9 miles this morning. It was a good run. Was out the door by 5:30 am, sunny weather but not hot yet. I am still really liking the Saucony Endorphin Speeds that I bought a few months ago. Noticeably less pounding on my feet and knees than any other running shoe I've worn before.