News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Wow, sounds like you could stock a couple of farm stands!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 27, 2021, 11:56:40 AM
I cut the last of one row of leaf lettuce this morning before the storms.  The other row will need to get used over the weekend.  It all sat and sat, until the warm weather came in, then it all shot up at once!

All else is growing nicely, except the watermelon seeds (only one had sprouted, and I didn't find it today) and the okra, which is probably just late coming up because it's been so cool. Tomatoes and peppers are blooming; kale and spinach and peas and beans are all growing, as are the cantaloupe and cucumbers.  Herbs and onions are nice, too. I'll need to thin/transplant beets over the weekend, and plant another row of beans.  The zucchini and yellow squash are growing like weeds.  I might need to put some of the plants on FB marketplace; I hate to just toss them.

Flower seeds have sprouted and are growing well, even the nasturtiums (which can be slow to start when direct-seeded).

Good deal, ALH! We are a little behind on squash over here. I disposed of some 'squash bugs' and eggs today. I'm envious of your zucchini!

the_geneticist

Corn is tasseling, watermelons are making tiny photo-melons, artichokes are nearly finished, Swiss chard & kale getting a bit stressed in the heat (time to harvest & eat/freeze), the carrots that the cats left alone are growing nicely, tomatoes are making fruits, broccoli that we chopped back in Fall is ready to harvest again.
The leeks are limping along, I might need to transplant them to better soil.  The last of the beets from winter are HUGE and need to be pulled before they go to seed.  Herbs are LOVING the heat and the bees are loving the herbs.  So much so that I've had to hand-pollinate the watermelon flowers.

mamselle

I have this image of you running around, elbows akimbo, going "bzzzzzz! bzzzzz! Watch out, watermelon flowers, here I come! Bzzzzzz! Bzzzzzz!"

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

I need to put some bone meal and Scott's Bloom Booster on the peas, tomatoes, and peppers (and flowers) this weekend--the Miracle Gro ad epsom salts are growing nice foliage, but now I need BLOOMS!

Harlow2

I've got actual, if tiny, peppers!  Was so very cold here last week I was afraid they would sulk, but production is quite good.  The tomatoes aren't producing much and our forecasted temps in the mid nineties starting this weekend won't help with pollination.  Lettuce seems about done. Kale is flourishing.

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 02, 2021, 11:26:11 AM
I need to put some bone meal and Scott's Bloom Booster on the peas, tomatoes, and peppers (and flowers) this weekend--the Miracle Gro ad epsom salts are growing nice foliage, but now I need BLOOMS!

I need to do the bone meal thing too. How much do you apply per plant?

Parasaurolophus

The mystery plant turns out to be weird kale. Makes sense, since that's where I thought I planted the kale. It just looked so. Weird.

Still nothing on the empress tree front.
I know it's a genus.

AmLitHist

Quote from: Harlow2 on June 03, 2021, 06:46:18 AM
I need to do the bone meal thing too. How much do you apply per plant?

I think I'm going to work up the ground between the rows of peas (using my trusty old butter knife and kitchen fork--I'm much less dangerous with them than actual hand cultivators/transplanters!) and around the peppers and tomatoes.  I'll probably use a good 3-4 tablespoons around the tomatoes and peppers, and just eyeball it for the peas to give a 1/4" or so cover to the soil, then work it in and water. 

I'm probably going to lightly prune/cut back the ends of the peas, too--the vines are going crazy, so hopefully that little shock plus the bone meal will inspire them to bloom.  It's going to be time to pull them before long, since it's going to get hot soon.  Everything got a late start, between the new beds and the late snow and ensuing cool, cloudy weather.

lightning

For the first time since last summer, I have finally been able to tend to my yard AND my flower beds. Usually, I have to pick between focusing on one or the other.

Edit: Oh, wait a minute. The reason I have the time to work on both is because I decided not to grow any food this year.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I processed the last of the fava beans. I washed, shelled (but did not de-skin), blanched and froze them. It was a pain in the butt.

AmLitHist

I thinned/transplanted beets yesterday.  They look like hell/death today.  Oh well, at least Kid #1 got a couple of bags of nice greens from the pickings.

mamselle

Youth! What happened to the beets?

Maybe I didn't look back far enough, but I didn't recall their being in danger!

M.

Parasaurolophus

The corn sure is growing! Wow!

And I might even manage a sunflower or two in the deer-proofed garden, which will be delightful.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Picked my first strawberries and peas yesterday. Not all of them made it inside ;-)
Also arugula and basil, so I need to make pesto tonight.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

The landlords have opened another raised bed for me. What on earth will I put in it?
I know it's a genus.