News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

We made the chicken tikka masala in the crock pot and will have it with jasmine rice, assuming the power stays one more consistently.

Economizer

4 pm FF burger & fries
8 pm rainbow sherbet
I don't think I'm through, so, see you later 'fridgerator!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

mamselle

Quote from: ab_grp on June 11, 2020, 07:01:36 PM
We made the chicken tikka masala in the crock pot and will have it with jasmine rice, assuming the power stays one more consistently.

Do you make your own masala sauce, or do you buy it?

Recipe?

Brand of sauce if store-bought? (I can't seem to find it anywhere and I know I've seen it in the past )

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and I'm currently in the process of making fruit leather out of some salmon berries I gathered earlier today. I've never made fruit leather before, but I'm pretty excited about it.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 11, 2020, 08:12:34 PM
I baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and I'm currently in the process of making fruit leather out of some salmon berries I gathered earlier today. I've never made fruit leather before, but I'm pretty excited about it.

We don't have them down here. I'd like to taste them, but I haven't been to the Northwest. Do you use a dehydrator, or an oven? Or are you using solar energy (outdoor box)? Or something else?

apl68

Planning to have cold roast chicken on sourdough, with mayo.  Plus a green salad (with some very spicy dills!) and a good drink of water.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on June 11, 2020, 07:21:41 PM

Recipe?

Brand of sauce if store-bought? (I can't seem to find it anywhere and I know I've seen it in the past )

M.

We used this recipe.

That may not be the best source for it, but it looks as though the Kitchn people have updated the recipe, and the one I found on their site is a little different than the one we used, which is in the above link.  We used smoked paprika but did not marinate the chicken in yogurt or saute anything ahead of time.  We also used coconut milk.  Aside from a little prep work, it's pretty easy to put together!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 11, 2020, 08:16:43 PM

We don't have them down here. I'd like to taste them, but I haven't been to the Northwest. Do you use a dehydrator, or an oven? Or are you using solar energy (outdoor box)? Or something else?

I'd do it in the sun, except there hasn't been any for a week. And although I have a dehydrator, it's at my parent's house back east. So I used the oven. I failed this time, however, because I can't quite set my oven low enough and I left it in for too long. But I've learned my lesson. I'll brave the rain later, harvest some more berries, and try again.

They taste a lot like thimbleberries, but a little tarter and more robust in texture. They're new to me too.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: ab_grp on June 12, 2020, 11:15:32 AM

Recipe?

M.

We used this recipe.

That may not be the best source for it, but it looks as though the Kitchn people have updated the recipe, and the one I found on their site is a little different than the one we used, which is in the above link.  We used smoked paprika but did not marinate the chicken in yogurt or saute anything ahead of time.  We also used coconut milk.  Aside from a little prep work, it's pretty easy to put together!

Thanks!

This weekend's adventure, if possible!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on June 12, 2020, 11:52:36 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on June 12, 2020, 11:15:32 AM

Recipe?

M.

We used this recipe.

Thanks!

This weekend's adventure, if possible!

M.

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it if you do make it.  Two other things we did: cooked it on low for eight hours and used chicken breasts.  I would have preferred thighs, but we weren't able to get them.  It still turned out fine.

mamselle

I was planning on white meat anyway, so it's good to know that will work.

My favorite tikka masala is lamb, but I'm not going to go foraging for that now.

And I'll need to try to make a spice combo of my own--I have all the spices, and I found a site with a reasonable recipe, so that will be fun too.

Looking forward to it.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Currently being prepared by the man-of-the-house:

Main Course = Bacon cheeseburger pizza! AND a salad.

Beverage = Coke maybe & water since I was outside gardening today.

Dessert = strawberries, raspberries, maybe a cookie bar, or a McVitties milk chocolate digestive biscuit.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on June 12, 2020, 02:29:37 PM

My favorite tikka masala is lamb, but I'm not going to go foraging for that now.

And I'll need to try to make a spice combo of my own--I have all the spices, and I found a site with a reasonable recipe, so that will be fun too.

Looking forward to it.

M.

It's cooking now....I realized I wanted to try it right away!

M.

arcturus

[...] I'm currently in the process of making fruit leather out of some salmon berries I gathered earlier today. I've never made fruit leather before, but I'm pretty excited about it.
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 12, 2020, 11:20:11 AM
[...]
They taste a lot like thimbleberries, but a little tarter and more robust in texture. They're new to me too.

This more properly belongs in the "foods I miss from home" thread, but I have to say: I really miss being able to collect fruit and berries from trees, brambles, and thickets in the backyard...  I haven't had salmonberries or thimbleberries in years! And the cultivated cherries and apples (not to mention blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries) that are available in the grocery stores here are just not the same as those that we used to pick ourselves.

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on June 12, 2020, 05:35:52 PM
Quote from: mamselle on June 12, 2020, 02:29:37 PM

Looking forward to it.

M.

It's cooking now....I realized I wanted to try it right away!

M.

Did you enjoy it? Would you change anything about the recipe? I love tikka masala but haven't made it too often, so it would be great to hear your thoughts on it if you are more familiar with the dish (or even if you are not!).