News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on November 17, 2020, 09:18:43 AM
We had planned an easy dinner of leftover steak with roasted asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and sweet and min potatoes last night.   Then someone (me) got the bright idea of making some potato skins again to have with the steak and saving the other potatoes for breakfast so that spouse would have a more filling meal to carry him through the day at the work site.  Of course, by the time we had the potato skins nearly complete, I mentioned that honestly I kind of felt like just having the potato skins at that point.  He was thinking the same thing, so we just went with potato skins.  And are not using the other potatoes for breakfast anyway! But we can have the leftover steak and stuff tonight.  This time, we carved out a bit more potato, which I think helped.

So what do you do with the potato part that you scoop out? Make mashed potatoes?- Shepherd's pie?

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 17, 2020, 10:16:11 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on November 17, 2020, 09:18:43 AM
We had planned an easy dinner of leftover steak with roasted asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and sweet and min potatoes last night.   Then someone (me) got the bright idea of making some potato skins again to have with the steak and saving the other potatoes for breakfast so that spouse would have a more filling meal to carry him through the day at the work site.  Of course, by the time we had the potato skins nearly complete, I mentioned that honestly I kind of felt like just having the potato skins at that point.  He was thinking the same thing, so we just went with potato skins.  And are not using the other potatoes for breakfast anyway! But we can have the leftover steak and stuff tonight.  This time, we carved out a bit more potato, which I think helped.

So what do you do with the potato part that you scoop out? Make mashed potatoes?- Shepherd's pie?

We've thought of saving it for topping pot pies, fish pies, that sort of thing.  So far, we have been using the leftover parts for breakfast.  Husband does them in the same pan that he cooked sausage or eggs in, and they come out pretty much like hash browns.   We'd probably have to have a lot left over to top Shepherd's pie, but I'd like to give that a try sometime! I haven't had it in forever.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on November 15, 2020, 09:17:01 AM
Yum!

I'm munching on a toasted muffin with melted Muenster cheese (interthreadulity).

I'm pondering adding curry spices to the fish dish and turning it into a fish currry....for dinner, that is...

M.

Decided I liked the fish dish as it is; will do curried chicken some other time.

I'll be having the last of it for dinner tonight, as it appears now, before online Folk Dance at 7:30.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I have been informed that we're having veggie Alfredo (jar sauce) with a salad tonight. :)

Langue_doc

Quote from: ergative on June 11, 2019, 11:04:42 PM
Last night we made a saag paneer-y type thing, which worked well in some ways, but not others. The recipe called for coriander seeds, which I already know I dislike, but I put them in anyway, and then the whole meal was getting little bursts of crunchy soap with every bite. (The jar has now been emptied with extreme prejudice and coriander seeds are no longer welcome in my kitchen. If it wants to be my friend, the coriander will need to sprout some leaves like a grownup.) The recipe also called for tofu instead of paneer, because it was a vegan recipe, but I thought that was silly, and so added some halloumi and feta, and that was really good.

We got more spinach than we needed (both Absolutive and I remembered to go shopping independently of each other), and also have more halloumi and feta, so I might try again tonight or tomorrow, this time without the coriander.

Was this an Indian recipe? No self-respecting Indian would ever use whole coriander seeds. Depending on the region the seeds would be roasted and then ground, or just ground. Indian recipes invariably direct that ground spices such as coriander and cumin be added to oil, sauteed until the raw smell dissipates, and only then be followed by the other ingredients.

apl68

Steamed vegetables (Onion, tomato, and mushroom) with some sauce that I have handy.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Cheerful

Quote from: apl68 on November 18, 2020, 06:28:56 AM
Steamed vegetables (Onion, tomato, and mushroom) with some sauce that I have handy.

That's it?  Is that dinner or dessert?

apl68

Quote from: Cheerful on November 18, 2020, 09:07:30 AM
Quote from: apl68 on November 18, 2020, 06:28:56 AM

That's it?  Is that dinner or dessert?

And a salad.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

sinenomine

This evening I plan to celebrate the end of the workweek with cauliflower crab cakes, Caesar salad, wine, and some Vermont chocolate with chèvre, honey, and lavender.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ab_grp

Quote from: sinenomine on December 04, 2020, 11:58:28 AM
This evening I plan to celebrate the end of the workweek with cauliflower crab cakes, Caesar salad, wine, and some Vermont chocolate with chèvre, honey, and lavender.

That sounds like a great celebration!

We are planning to order Chinese again tonight to try out a third restaurant.  We had several nights of Thanksgiving leftovers.  Husband had found and implemented an Ina Garten recipe for stuffing the turkey with aromatics and rubbing it with stuff (the technical term), and we made bagna cauda brussels sprouts and sweet potato puree on the side.  That was fine for two people.  So we repeated that a couple nights, plus turkey sandwiches for lunches.  We made steak with roasted potatoes, asparagus, and cherry tomatoes on Sunday and had that again Monday and Tuesday nights, I think.  Then the salad with sous vide chicken, grapes, hazelnuts, manchego, red onion, and red wine and honey vinaigrette Wednesday.  Grilled cheese and tomato soup last night.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It's not quite dinner time yet, but I'm about to make some challahesque dinner rolls to go with tonight's soup.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm slowly working my way up to more solid foods (besides plain chicken, broth and mashed potatoes). Yay. :P

Tonight, I will attempt to ingest (successfully I hope) some plain, baked salmon, mashed potatoes and peas.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 11, 2020, 03:52:35 PM
I'm slowly working my way up to more solid foods (besides plain chicken, broth and mashed potatoes). Yay. :P

Tonight, I will attempt to ingest (successfully I hope) some plain, baked salmon, mashed potatoes and peas.

Hope you got to enjoy it!

Spouse made a variation on the jalapeno tilapia pasta, putting in shrimp instead of the tilapia.  It was very good, but holy hand grenade were those jalapenos hot! Even he thought so, which is unusual.  I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about it but try to make it through and enjoy the flavors as best we can.  I think we usually have some sliced tomatoes with it, which we did not include last night, so maybe that is a way to go.  The broccoli helped, at least.

And while he was busy with prep I made pizza dough for pizza tonight for the first time in a long time.  Yay!

mamselle

Side Mac 'n' cheese with cherub tomatoes and fajita beef bits

Main dish: Smoked salmon encroute made with a honey-mustad nut sauce

Bread: 1/2 English muffin toasted face down on the melted butter from the salmon and used to mop up any sauce not already consumed

Dessert: (in quite awhile...) Pineapple upside down journeycake with strawberry sauce...

Je suis stuffed!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yum!

We had homemade turkey noodle soup tonight. It was tasty.