News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Venison stew, which is currently simmering in the crock pot.  Scheduled to be finished shortly after I get home this evening.

And it's a cold, gloomy day that actually feels like winter out.  Perfect stew weather!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

lightning

Quote from: apl68 on December 14, 2020, 08:24:52 AM
Venison stew, which is currently simmering in the crock pot.  Scheduled to be finished shortly after I get home this evening.

And it's a cold, gloomy day that actually feels like winter out.  Perfect stew weather!

Mmmmm. I find that venison tastes better when you shoot it yourself.

I had no-guilt cheesecake for dessert.

apl68

Quote from: lightning on December 14, 2020, 06:04:31 PM

I didn't shoot it myself, but I did help the friend of the family who shot it to bring it in.  The next day he gave me some of the meat he had just butchered.  Sharing game is a strong sign of friendship.  The hunter has been living on our family land for many years now.  He's one of my parents' dearest friends.  I joke that Mom and Dad have a hermit living on their land.

Oh, and it turned out very well.  I've got stew for the next several chilly evenings.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

lightning

Quote from: apl68 on December 15, 2020, 07:15:47 AM

I didn't shoot it myself, but I did help the friend of the family who shot it to bring it in.  The next day he gave me some of the meat he had just butchered.  Sharing game is a strong sign of friendship.  The hunter has been living on our family land for many years now.  He's one of my parents' dearest friends.  I joke that Mom and Dad have a hermit living on their land.

Oh, and it turned out very well.  I've got stew for the next several chilly evenings.

Try venison in chili. It's yummy, whether you shoot it yourself, or not.
My apologies to vegetarians, vegans, and anyone who cried at the beginning of Bambi.

apl68

Quote from: lightning on December 15, 2020, 08:53:30 AM
Quote from: apl68 on December 15, 2020, 07:15:47 AM

Try venison in chili. It's yummy, whether you shoot it yourself, or not.
My apologies to vegetarians, vegans, and anyone who cried at the beginning of Bambi.

I cried at the beginning of Bambi!

Venison chili is good.  I'll probably make chili before too much longer, though I don't think I've got any venison left for it.  I've learned that hominy works well in a chili recipe.

Economizer

I am  not talking about food. My concern is the currently troubling CYBER ATTACKS  the USA is experiencing. A year or two ago I began to be offered another means to sign into online contact with a
government agency that I rely on. I could use my old sign in but I was offered the ability to use one Sign
In, in a process  by which I could  gain entry to all sorts of government agency platforms[?]. As I read through info about this opportunity I noticed some grammar or "tech word" mistakes (only very few).
I did not pursue that, but kinda meant to do that. I continued to use my old sign in method.

As I thought about the current Cyber Crisis ID.ME came to mind. With one sign in is it possible for foreign techies to get closer (and that may.all they need) to all sorts of protected U.S. government sites and files, etc.? Note ID.ME is a private firm with ID..ME.com noted on its material for potential users on U.S. goverment websites. Oh, there is some explanation of its use of "cookies" as well. I meant to put this on the STUFF YOU WANT TO TELL PEOPLE  thread and would were I not worn "slap out" from composing it on my ANDROID and knew how to transfer it!

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Quote from: Economizer on December 21, 2020, 05:39:44 PM
I am  not talking about food. My concern is the currently troubling CYBER ATTACKS  the USA is experiencing. A year or two ago I began to be offered another means to sign into online contact with a
government agency that I rely on. I could use my old sign in but I was offered the ability to use one Sign
In, in a process  by which I could  gain entry to all sorts of government agency platforms[?]. As I read through info about this opportunity I noticed some grammar or "tech word" mistakes (only very few).
I did not pursue that, but kinda meant to do that. I continued to use my old sign in method.

As I thought about the current Cyber Crisis ID.ME came to mind. With one sign in is it possible for foreign techies to get closer (and that may.all they need) to all sorts of protected U.S. government sites and files, etc.? Note ID.ME is a private firm with ID..ME.com noted on its material for potential users on U.S. goverment websites. Oh, there is some explanation of its use of "cookies" as well. I meant to put this on the STUFF YOU WANT TO TELL PEOPLE  thread and would were I not worn "slap out" from composing it on my ANDROID and knew how to transfer it!
I know that I'm really reaching, but ID.ME..IDS OF MARCH, huh,huh ???
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

Cabbage soup with a side of hedgehog mushrooms, and London Fog ice cream for dessert.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Plenty of leftovers for tonight's dinner. There's rice, meatloaf (not really a good combination, but what the heck), and zucchini that I just sauteed. There's also soup, New England clam chowder and Italian wedding soup, both from the grocery/deli.

As for tomorrow, I found lamb shanks in the grocery store, so these need to be cooked. I found a couple of recipes so will tackle them tomorrow.

Harlow2

Cauliflower, pea, and nut curry (courtesy of N.Y. Times recipe from a few weeks ago)  Superb, finishes off white baked-from-scratch cupcakes.  Food coma has ensued.

mamselle

As promised on the venting thread:

Moroccan  Orange  Chicken
Serves 4-6

6 boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup Kalamata olives (substituted dates; can also add orange slices, raisins)
1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Place the chicken, oil, orange juice, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, cumin, chili powder, and sugar in a large glass bowl, cover, and marinate for 2-8 hours.  Dry the chicken pieces and reserve the marinade.

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and brown in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook until deeply browned.  Lower the heat to medium-low and cook until the pieces are cooked through, 5-7 minutes.  Transfer the chicken to a platter.  Reheat the skillet, add the olives, remaining marinade and the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Pour over the chicken and serve immediately, garnished with parsley.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/BK-DL/moroccan%20orange%20chicken%20copy.txt?w=617477bc

(Now I'm wondering when I can make it myself, next, too!)
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Thank you, Mamselle.  Will pick up ingredients this week; this sounds heavenly.

Vkw10

Out of milk, so Partner substituted 1/4 cup of creme de cacao in the boiled cookies. He's now musing about other substitutions for future batches.

Boiled cookies, that unsophisticated childhood treat composed of cocoa, sugar, oatmeal, peanut butter, and a couple of other things, are amazingly good when you substitute ingredients.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ab_grp

I have never heard of boiled cookies! Looked them up... very interesting.  Do they come out chewy?

We made pizza last night, not too many ingredients on hand, so just ricotta, caramelized shallots and red onions, and the other usual stuff (shredded and fresh mozzarella, the usual sauce and dough).  Someone (not my husband) put waaaaaaaaay too much crushed red pepper on it.  Fun times.  We will have the leftovers tonight.

mamselle

Finished up the honey-mustard chicken with carrots and muffins for lunch.....hmmm, now what to think about for dinner??'

Oh, well, I have a few hours...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.