News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

secundem_artem

During my first trip to Australia, our hosts took us to a restaurant that served kangaroo and emu.  I've eaten 'roo on several occasions since  - roughly like beef but much leaner, not particularly gamey.  I have no recollection of what the emu tasted like.

But I would also point out that a kangaroo and an emu are prominent on the official Australian coat of arms.  So it's kinda like going to an American restaurant and being served bald eagle or a Canadian café and finding beaver on the menu.

The Aussies most certainly have a puckish sense of humor/humour.

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

I have had alligator sausage, but I don't think it tasted a whole lot different.  I also had some reindeer in Finland that was delicious.  I guess it's not a great time of year to mention that (sorry, Santa).

Daughter has most of the week off, so on Monday she made us some garlic and potato soup she found on TikTok.  It was pretty good and made a fair amount of leftovers.  She is currently making a vegan pad Thai recipe so she can learn about working with (baked) tofu.  I could get used to this!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm planning to make lentil soup tonight, from scratch, so that I can use up (at least some of) this leftover ham.

ab_grp

We made some braised short ribs with mashed root vegetables last night, based on Alfred Portale's oxtails recipe (from his easier cookbook, not the Gotham cookbook).  It took some work, but now we have good dinners for two more nights as well. 

Morden

QuoteI'm planning to make lentil soup tonight, from scratch, so that I can use up (at least some of) this leftover ham.

That's what we did last night! Very comforting.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Morden on December 29, 2021, 09:07:05 AM
QuoteI'm planning to make lentil soup tonight, from scratch, so that I can use up (at least some of) this leftover ham.

That's what we did last night! Very comforting.

Yep! I finished the rest of it for lunch today. So good!

Stockmann

For Xmas, we had (this was very much and all-hands-on-deck team effort):

-Pecan cream soup with clove and nutmeg
-Tomato, avocado and onion salad with balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, a dash of avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt)
-Penne with tomato, garlic and brandy sauce
-Roast plum pork
-Roast duck injected with orange liquor, and basted with its own juices and orange juice
-Apples and chestnuts fried with butter and brandy
-Baked apples with sugar and cinnamon

Over the past few days I've done a lot of cooking with leftovers.

mamselle

Wow, you could combine those last two items with some bread crumbs and have a dressing/stuffing to go with either the duck or the pork....just simmer the meat in its own juices, add a bit of water and a pre-mixed tiny bit of thickening (i.e., cold milk or water and flour or corn starch, 《selon votre gout》), and heat to bubbling as a pour-over.

Or maybe you've already done that....

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 21, 2021, 03:01:28 PM
But I would also point out that a kangaroo and an emu are prominent on the official Australian coat of arms.  So it's kinda like going to an American restaurant and being served bald eagle or a Canadian café and finding beaver on the menu.

Cue Stan Freeberg
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ab_grp

Stockmann, oh my gosh! What a feast!! So many delicious items on your menu!

Harlow2

I had chestnut soup once but did not know of precancerous soup. What a dinner you made!

mamselle

Quote from: Harlow2 on December 30, 2021, 05:23:46 PM
I had chestnut soup once but did not know of precancerous soup. What a dinner you made!

Auto-corrupt rules again!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Stockmann

I used the duck bones to make a stock for mushroom soup, the duck drippings for frying potatoes and for frying mushrooms for rice, and the pork drippings for a kind of gravy for mashed potatoes. For NYE, we had:

-Cucumber and herb salad (wife made it)
-Spaghetti with capers and homemade tomato sauce (me)
-Spicy roast pork (Dad)
-Beans (Dad)
-Apple strudel (Mom)

Quote from: mamselle on December 30, 2021, 06:05:42 AM
Wow, you could combine those last two items with some bread crumbs and have a dressing/stuffing to go with either the duck or the pork....just simmer the meat in its own juices, add a bit of water and a pre-mixed tiny bit of thickening (i.e., cold milk or water and flour or corn starch, 《selon votre gout》), and heat to bubbling as a pour-over.

Or maybe you've already done that....

;--》

M.

The chestnuts and apples were supposed to be for the stuffing, but I ran out of time and didn't use any stuffing and served them as sides, so you're kind of spot on.

Quote from: ab_grp on December 30, 2021, 09:21:35 AM
Stockmann, oh my gosh! What a feast!! So many delicious items on your menu!

Thanks!

Quote from: Harlow2 on December 30, 2021, 05:23:46 PM

Thanks! We have a lot of leftover chestnuts, so that's a good idea, making chestnut soup.

ab_grp

Stockmann, everything sounds great.  It seems as though you repurpose components in creative and delicious ways, too. 

We have had some good meals the past week.  I got my husband a cookbook from a local author near his roots, and he got some red chile pods and made a yummy red pork chile sauce that we have had in several different meals.  His friends are now interested in the cookbook as well.

Last night we decided to make a lamb ragu/ragout.  It took quite a while (mostly simmering), and that was difficult because it smelled so good that we just wanted to eat it right away.  But we held off, and it was quite delicious.  We had it with the cascatelli pasta and some Locatelli cheese.  But we will have leftovers for days, so that's definitely an extra win.

apl68

After the temperatures blipped up higher over the weekend, they have come back down to seasonable levels.  So I plan this evening to bring out some of that chili that I froze from the big batch I made last week.  I like a thick chili.  This batch doesn't even need crackers! 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.