News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: apl68 on January 10, 2022, 07:28:37 AM
After the temperatures blipped up higher over the weekend, they have come back down to seasonable levels.  So I plan this evening to bring out some of that chili that I froze from the big batch I made last week.  I like a thick chili.  This batch doesn't even need crackers!

That sounds perfect! What do you like to put in your chili?

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on January 10, 2022, 09:53:06 AM
After the temperatures blipped up higher over the weekend, they have come back down to seasonable levels.  So I plan this evening to bring out some of that chili that I froze from the big batch I made last week.  I like a thick chili.  This batch doesn't even need crackers!

It's a pretty commonplace recipe--ground beef, chili powder, canned tomatoes and canned beans, and chopped onions.  I like to put in hominy instead of corn.  I've used ground venison before in place of beef, when I've had it available.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ab_grp

Quote from: apl68 on January 10, 2022, 10:24:48 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on January 10, 2022, 09:53:06 AM

It's a pretty commonplace recipe--ground beef, chili powder, canned tomatoes and canned beans, and chopped onions.  I like to put in hominy instead of corn.  I've used ground venison before in place of beef, when I've had it available.

Chili can be so different across regions and families.  I grew up with ground beef, tomatoes, chunky green bell peppers, and kidney beans.  It had some spices but was not spicy at all.  I think there were cloves in there that we had to fish out.  Out here, it's much more chile-based and tends to have more chunks of meat than ground meat.  I've started adding black beans in but keeping kidney beans as well.  The vegetarian one we make for my daughter calls for chickpeas, but no one's that fond of them here, so we substitute the other beans for them.  I guess there are some chilis that don't have any beans at all.  The hominy sounds like an interesting variation! I haven't had that much at all, maybe in posole once? Maybe we'll try that sometime.  I was just curious, so thanks for sharing!

apl68

Yes, there's a great variety of dishes that can go under the name of "chili."  The bell peppers sound like they'd be good!  I knew a guy who liked to put bay leaves in his.  I had the misfortune to get sick after having a bowl of that, but it turned out to be purely a coincidence (I actually came down with a kidney infection).

As far as I know the hominy thing was my own innovation.  A friend of mine who ate my chili last year said something to the effect that it was the first time he'd liked anything with hominy in it since coming to hate it as kid.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ab_grp

I'm pretty sure there were also bay leaves in my mom's recipe.  At least those were easier to fish out than the cloves! And congrats for introducing the hominy into things.  It's nice to get an inspiration that works out and also gets a previous hater to like the ingredient!

mamselle

Cinnamon, like cloves, goes well with some beef recipes.

I've used it in chili before, also.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Cooked the Dakdori Tang recipe from last week's New York Times and it is a keeper. Easy and relatively quick if you do the instant pot version, and there's also a crock pot version. But instead of a half cup of chili paste we used a teaspoon and that was plenty hot. We ended up with Sambal oelek, only chili paste I could find quickly, instead of gohujang

ab_grp

Mamselle, I put cinnamon in my chili instead of cumin by mistake years ago, and it did actually taste good! Kind of Moroccan, or something.

Harlow2, that stew looks so good.  I think we have all the ingredients except for the kimchi, and it's great to hear that other substitutions work well with it.  Thanks for the recommendation!

apl68

Maybe I'll try cinnamon sometime as well.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Harlow2 on January 11, 2022, 06:47:03 AM
Cooked the Dakdori Tang recipe from last week's New York Times and it is a keeper. Easy and relatively quick if you do the instant pot version, and there's also a crock pot version. But instead of a half cup of chili paste we used a teaspoon and that was plenty hot. We ended up with Sambal oelek, only chili paste I could find quickly, instead of gohujang

One of my favorite things.  I make a bastardized version of nasi goreng (no Indonesian would recognize it as such) and then must choose between finishing it with Sambal Oelek, Sambal Badjak or Sambal Manas.  Add a bit of soy sauce and top with canned mandarin oranges.  Kroepoek if you have any on the side and a cold beer.  Good eats!
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

hmaria1609

Got to go from Olive Garden on the way home.  Not as many entrees as there used to be offered.

mamselle

I've been enjoying the foodways shown on this channel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq1LvZ6jAH8

Some of them are adapted, and the conversation doesn't stay in period, but the camerawork, the preparation details, and the general sense of earlier food options in the Louisiana Purchase area (this couple is near St. Louis) between 1803-1820 are elucidating.

There is one channel that develops the recipes themselves and how to prepare them; there is a related channel that shows the couple sitting, eating, talking about their day, stringing their rope bed, entertaining their French landlord, etc.

Cooking 'possom and rabbit might not be something I'll be aiming for, but several of their other dishes are very enticing.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Sleet and snow expected (again) by evening, so it's time for a pot of beef vegetable with barley soup.

Juvenal

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022977-roasted-orange-chicken?action=click&module=RecipeBox&pgType=recipebox-page&region=all&rank=0

I rarely bother to do anything that takes more than ten minutes or so to assemble (and five minutes to eat), but saw the above recipe and realized that "as long as you more or less follow a simple recipe like this" it will be OK on the plate.  Is that so?  Anyway, I've modified the above (just drumsticks) and I noted I have no ginger, but the oven is working away at what it got.

Locally--to shift things--today was (for late February!) mid-sixties; tomorrow night, icy slop.  I pity the folks who have nothing but nice, boring weather--say, what you get in LA when the wildfire smoke blows the other way.
Cranky septuagenarian

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO made Salisbury steaks (using ground turkey to be 'healthier'), rice and green beans. Dessert was apple turnovers (hot) with salted caramel ice cream. Sadly, the turnovers were not homemade, but they served a purpose. Was good!!!