Musicologists & Classical Music Lovers: Contemporary Composers?

Started by Wahoo Redux, April 27, 2022, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

So, I am well versed in Phillip Glass, a little Steve Reich, some John Adams, or course John Williams, Richard Danielpour here and there, I know about Jay Greenberg, and the marvelous emerging Dobrinka Tabakova.  Somewhere I have "Everything Else is Noise" laying around the house.

Who else should I know?  I am particularly interested in learning more about the "difficult" modernist/postmodernist atonal or non-melodic composers. 

W00T!!!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Uhh...every now and again I get really modern and listen to some Bach...

I mostly live in the 13th c. otherwise....

Sorry!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mamselle on April 27, 2022, 05:13:46 PM
Uhh...every now and again I get really modern and listen to some Bach...

I mostly live in the 13th c. otherwise....

Sorry!

M.

Oooooohhh!!!  Recommendations for Medieval music?

downer

What about George Crumb, who died this Feb, and didn't even get a mention in the RIP page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Crumb
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

The group Istampitta used to be good.

New York Early Music Ensemble did things like all of the dances from Arbeau's Orchesography.

The Oxford chorus does lovely stuff; this loop is nice for getting work done (not medieval, a bit later, but...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n9EyT1R3l0

More in a week when this paper is done...

M. 

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

I've been enjoying Ludovico Einaudi, especially Seven Days Walking.  I wouldn't describe it as "difficult" though. It shares some of the repetitive, meditative qualities of Glass and Reich, but more melodic and calmer. Good for working, or reading, or just staring out the window or into the fire.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Juvenal

Quote from: Puget on April 27, 2022, 06:50:44 PM
I've been enjoying Ludovico Einaudi, especially Seven Days Walking.  I wouldn't describe it as "difficult" though. It shares some of the repetitive, meditative qualities of Glass and Reich, but more melodic and calmer. Good for working, or reading, or just staring out the window or into the fire.

I can't say I dislike Einaudi, but he does not seem to have much depth.  As you say, best as something playing in the background.

His music was used to help peddle a fantastically expensive house in Canada a few years ago, the house built by an academic from the proceeds of a text he wrote--he did not get to enjoy the house for long.  It was partly designed to be a venue for musical events.  I believe the house was on the market for $25 million (Canadian). Forget what it sold for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_aQ6j3spRg&t=53s
Cranky septuagenarian

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

lightning

Quote from: Anselm on April 28, 2022, 08:27:59 AM
Gorecki?
Yeah, start with the modern Polish composers.

start with Symphony of Sorrowful Songs by Gorecki. Then move on to Krystof Penderecki's Threnody.

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 27, 2022, 04:40:44 PM
So, I am well versed in Phillip Glass, a little Steve Reich, some John Adams, or course John Williams, Richard Danielpour here and there, I know about Jay Greenberg, and the marvelous emerging Dobrinka Tabakova.  Somewhere I have "Everything Else is Noise" laying around the house.

Who else should I know?  I am particularly interested in learning more about the "difficult" modernist/postmodernist atonal or non-melodic composers. 

W00T!!!
If you are sincerely interested in the "difficult modernist/postmodernist atonal or non-melodic composers" then you probably want to know about the representative music that the composers like Glass/Reich/Adams were reacting against. This would be music by folks like Anton Webern and Milton Babbitt (start with Philomel).

I suggest grabbing an old copy of the audio CDs of Norton's Anthology of Western Music, and picking out the last couple of CDs. You can probably get these in your university's library.

Wahoo Redux

Great stuff, folks!!!  Thanks.

Yeah, Gorecki's famous symphony based on the child's Holocaust poem makes me cry.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Juvenal

Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

Juvenal

There's the problem: Listenable, if not memorable; memorable, if not listenable.  Categories?  I can like Glass, Pärt (and do), but the selection of contemporaries can be--to these ears (and so what?)--loud, bellowing, grinding, grating.  And to what end?

Dissonance?  Well, that is as it is. I'm stuck in the relative past.  But I go with this sentiment--and so, that's as it is:

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/it-must-give-pleasure/

Failing that--forget it.

Where's Dorothy Parton when you need her?
Cranky septuagenarian