News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movies you have seen 10 or more times

Started by onthefringe, July 21, 2021, 05:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hegemony

Quote from: AmLitHist on July 22, 2021, 02:07:19 PM
I've seen most of the Golden Age classics 10+ times (many of them embarrassingly far more than 10 times), and nearly every film done by Clark Gable, James Cagney, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck, Katharine Hepburn, Gary Cooper, and James Stewart, plus a few others.  The same's true of the catalog of Preston Sturges, Frank Capra, Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin, George Stevens, and Orson Welles. Buster Keaton was an absolute genius, too. 

ALH, you are an addict after my own heart. I should have had Buster Keaton on my list, as heaven knows I have seen almost all of them more than ten times, especially One Week, The High Sign, Our Hospitality, and of course The General.

On a nearby list I should add Safety Last!

Good to know there's another of us out there!

clean

I just remembered Burt and Dolly in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas! 

Even though Burt sings, the songs are very good! 

And I appreciate the Governor!! 

I dont think that I have an afinity for musicals, but my lists do include Best Little Whorehouse, Paint Your Wagon, and Victor/Victoria!
I ve seen the Music Man many times, but I dont think that I m up to 10! 
I have The Best Little Whorehouse on DVD and play it periodically in the background!  I dont have Victor Victoria, but would play it if I did! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Star Wars (A New Hope).

Princess Bride.

Young Frankenstein (and a few other Mel Brooks movies).

It's a Wonderful Life.

clean

Vkw10

Other People's Money for the great speeches at the stockholders meeting and the "Who doesn't like doughnuts?" scene.

The Lavender Hill Mob and Kind Hearts and Coronets for Alec Guinness.

The American President, mainly for the president's daughter, but also the speech about America being advanced democracy.

Grosse Pointe Blank, Volcano, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, both versions of Sabrina, which is a weird group to pop into my mind together but I tend to watch them every winter break in that order.

Tammy because my mother was delighted to find a VHS of the movie they saw the night my dad proposed, so it was a staple at our house. I eventually replaced the worn out VHS with a DVD, which only a truly loving child would do, because that movie is syrupy sweet.

Auntie Mame and Mame, plus re-reading the novel, because I can't decide which version I like the most.

Rear Window and The Mouse That Roared, which I consider a perfect rainy Saturday doubleheader.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

I remember loving the theme from "Tammy" when I was 3-4 years old, even had some of the lyrics memorized.

I know it was then because I remember singing to it whenever it came on the radio in the kitchen of our old house, and we moved from there when i was 5.

I took the name for my camp name when I became a camp counselor, years later, it still stuck with me somehow.

But I only saw the whole film, online, a few years ago.

Thanks for the memory.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I'm kind of curious about seeing movies multiple times. (When I was in high school, and Star Wars came out, there were stories of people seeing it dozens of times.) As I said in the "asides" thread, there are very few movies I've intentionally seen more than once. Each time I rewatch a movie, I see more plot implausibilities (or downright plot holes), character inconsistencies, continuity errors, etc. and so my impression of the movie gets worse.

How do those of you who watch the same movies repeatedly deal with that? Or do you not see those things?

(And this is without even getting into things like the mess George Lucas made when he "updated" the original movie.)
It takes so little to be above average.

clean

Quote(And this is without even getting into things like the mess George Lucas made when he "updated" the original movie.)

First and Foremost, Han Shot First!!
And there are indeed multiple renditions of Star Wars... not just the added CGI, but there are scenes that are in earlier releases that are out of later ones, only to come back to even later ones.  (There is a scene in the Death Star where a trooper states, "Close the Blast Doors, Close the Blast doors" Then Han and Chewy get through and he is now yelling "Open the Blast Doors, Open the Blast doors" that i was amused by when I first saw it, but was missing on the rerelease, but then returned in a later release. 

I find some of the CGI that was added in Mos Eisley distracting.

but I reiterate, HAN SHOT FIRST!  That is the greatest and most annoying change to me!

onthefringe

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 23, 2021, 07:01:58 AM
As I said in the "asides" thread, there are very few movies I've intentionally seen more than once. Each time I rewatch a movie, I see more plot implausibilities (or downright plot holes), character inconsistencies, continuity errors, etc. and so my impression of the movie gets worse.

How do those of you who watch the same movies repeatedly deal with that? Or do you not see those things?

It's an interesting question. Do you also not re-read books? (genuine question, not trying to be snarky).

Yes, there are some movies that I have increasing problems with the more I see them. It's not random that so many of the movies I have seen many times come from my teen years (and for many of them a rewatch 30+ years later with the fringelet revealed things I find much more problematic now than I did when I was watching them repeatedly).

And there are some that are just comfortable — a way to turn off the hamster brain for a couple of hours and relax without much thought (Groundhog Day or Holy Grail or North by Northwest)

But there are some movies that do hold up for me. For some of them it's a way to tap into a specific set of feelings and emotions that make it worthwhile for me to ignore any niggling issues that crop up (A Christmas Story, Indiana Jones). For others (Bull Durham, Princess Bride, and Casablanca fall into this category for me) I genuinely don't notice the problems I am sure would be there if I focused my whole intellectual brain on it — And I don't do that focusing thing specifically because I don't want to ruin it.

It's also interesting to me that I hear this concern about issues with re-engaging a piece of art most often with regards to movies. I virtually never hear someone say "well, I've heard the Vienna Philharmonic recording of Beethoven's Fifth once, never need to listen to that again" or "I've seen Michelangelo's David once, no need to go back to that".

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: clean on July 23, 2021, 09:04:53 AM
Quote(And this is without even getting into things like the mess George Lucas made when he "updated" the original movie.)

First and Foremost, Han Shot First!!
And there are indeed multiple renditions of Star Wars... not just the added CGI, but there are scenes that are in earlier releases that are out of later ones, only to come back to even later ones.  (There is a scene in the Death Star where a trooper states, "Close the Blast Doors, Close the Blast doors" Then Han and Chewy get through and he is now yelling "Open the Blast Doors, Open the Blast doors" that i was amused by when I first saw it, but was missing on the rerelease, but then returned in a later release. 

I find some of the CGI that was added in Mos Eisley distracting.

but I reiterate, HAN SHOT FIRST!  That is the greatest and most annoying change to me!

On this note, I recommend "The People vs. George Lucas" to you Star Wars nerds ;)

hmaria1609

I've seen a number of these movies mentioned by previous posters.  A lot of them have been on TV so I'll watch and change channels when the commercials come.
I remember when the original "Star Wars" movies were in theaters for a special anniversary release in the late '90s. I was in middle school at the time.

Last year, I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" in color on DVD. Brought out details I hadn't noticed in the original black & white version! Also on DVD, "White Christmas" and "Charlie Brown" holiday specials without commercial interruption.

"Ten Commandments" (1956)
"Gladiator"
Most of Disney's animated movies from back in the day as well as the newer ones

marshwiggle

Quote from: onthefringe on July 23, 2021, 09:28:01 AM
As I said in the "asides" thread, there are very few movies I've intentionally seen more than once. Each time I rewatch a movie, I see more plot implausibilities (or downright plot holes), character inconsistencies, continuity errors, etc. and so my impression of the movie gets worse.

It's an interesting question. Do you also not re-read books? (genuine question, not trying to be snarky).

Generally not. (And no snark assumed.) It's pretty much the same. For instance, I read LOTR and The Hobbit myself, and then read them to my kids, but I haven't re-read either of them since.

Yes, there are some movies that I have increasing problems with the more I see them. It's not random that so many of the movies I have seen many times come from my teen years (and for many of them a rewatch 30+ years later with the fringelet revealed things I find much more problematic now than I did when I was watching them repeatedly).

And there are some that are just comfortable — a way to turn off the hamster brain for a couple of hours and relax without much thought (Groundhog Day or Holy Grail or North by Northwest)

But there are some movies that do hold up for me. For some of them it's a way to tap into a specific set of feelings and emotions that make it worthwhile for me to ignore any niggling issues that crop up (A Christmas Story, Indiana Jones). For others (Bull Durham, Princess Bride, and Casablanca fall into this category for me) I genuinely don't notice the problems I am sure would be there if I focused my whole intellectual brain on it — And I don't do that focusing thing specifically because I don't want to ruin it.

It's also interesting to me that I hear this concern about issues with re-engaging a piece of art most often with regards to movies. I virtually never hear someone say "well, I've heard the Vienna Philharmonic recording of Beethoven's Fifth once, never need to listen to that again" or "I've seen Michelangelo's David once, no need to go back to that".

Music I'll grant is different, but even for visual art I'd say that having seen the Louvre once, I don't really feel the need to go back and see it again, and see the originals of all of those works of art.

Come to think of it, a piece of music I've heard in concert I wouldn't feel the need to go hear live again several times. Maybe listening to a music recording is like quoting lines from movies; it evokes much of the enjoyment without the cost of trying to relive the original experience, which is impossible.

It takes so little to be above average.

Anselm

Full Metal Jacket, mostly just the first half of the movie, about 20 times.  I watched it with some friends in college who saw it maybe 50 times.

I rarely watch anything more than once.    I have not kept track but I may have seen Metropolis around 10 times.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Vkw10

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 23, 2021, 10:46:48 AM
Quote from: onthefringe on July 23, 2021, 09:28:01 AM

Generally not. (And no snark assumed.) It's pretty much the same. For instance, I read LOTR and The Hobbit myself, and then read them to my kids, but I haven't re-read either of them since.. Maybe listening to a music recording is like quoting lines from movies; it evokes much of the enjoyment without the cost of trying to relive the original experience, which is impossible.

Hmm, I've never tried to figure out why and how I enjoy re-watching and re-reading. There are many works that I enjoy once and have no desire to watch/read again. I enjoyed the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, but have no interest in seeing it again. There are parts of Other People's Money that are perfect for checking on the washer, vacuuming the carpet, taking out the trash, but I re-watch it for specific scenes. I usually move about during parts of any movie that I'm re-watching, enjoying the highlights without needing to commit two hours. Re-reading is much the same, a mix of rapid skimming and slow savoring of favorite parts. There are a few books I re-read attentively, generally because the language is beautiful, but I'm usually relaxing into the comfort of familiar words, characters, story.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Wahoo Redux

Also The Exorcist and It Follows

Very, very few horror films have anything to say, and these are two horror films which actually generate philosophical and cultural commentary.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.