Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 19, 2020, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: Economizer on July 19, 2020, 12:00:09 PM
Quote from: spork on July 19, 2020, 09:17:04 AM
Quote from: Economizer on July 18, 2020, 07:50:11 PM
I recentlly bought a bag of store brand cough drops at a deep deep discount store. On several occasions, I popped one into my mouth while wearing my blue fabric[?] mask. Each time I did this, I immediately experienced burning gaseous sensations that hindered my talking and my thinking for a few moments. A lawyer pal said I should post about this. I don't know why because he seemed to be on the "requiring the masks by governmental units is OK" side of controversy. With him though, he's probably seeking a "truth" or something. And that, may well be true.

I can't tell if you're being serious or what you're getting at. Cough drops often contain menthol or eucalyptus. That's what you're smelling. The mask is creating a slightly higher concentration of these compounds in the air next to your mouth and nose than you're used to. If you smeared pure eucalyptus oil all over your face and in your mouth, then you might poison yourself whether you put a mask on afterward or not. At the concentrations found in cough drops, it's totally harmless.
I was trying to make the point that thicknesses or material of masks and/or the potency of things, scents or gases, for example, might impair folks at times during their day. Therefore, for many, it is important that they have flexibility as to when and where they can go without wearing one.

Also (I don't want to go too far into paranoia on this), these masks seem to come from all over the world. They are not listed as "J" list items. Thus, if they are not of U.S. Origin they should be individually labeled as to their C. Of O. That's in U.S. Customs regs. As for fabric/material composition, that may come under FDA regs. which have an entirely different schedule of notice, procedures, and classification that compliment U.S. entry of certain goods into the commerce of the United States. All this for good reasons.

Even places with strict mask ordinances would allow someone to remove it briefly if they wanted to catch a breath.

Geez, people...

I mean, I don't enjoy wearing masks, especially in the heat. But, you don't really need to wear them for very long most of the time. Just wear them when you need to go inside somewhere , and if you're going to be around people outside where I can't completely control your distance. Ifou  it turns out you have enough space outside that you aren't going to need to be close to anyone, you can take them off.

Anselm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk5P_iRYwTY

Guy who normally sells precious metals was warning people about the virus back in January.  I find this amazing since I don't recall anyone giving me this much detail so early during the pandemic.  I was not sure what to think at the time.  It was another epidemic on the other side of the globe and I never expected our current situation.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Economizer

OK, MAYBE WE ARE DOWN TO AT WHAT THRESHOLDS WOULD JUSTIFY MASKS BEING MANDATED? CAN A LESSER JURISDICTION WITHIN A STATE MANDATE MASK USE? THAT WITH STATE GOV. OVERSIGHT AND APPROVAL? ARE THERE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS Y'ALL MIGHT POSE? COULD THERE BE ANY COURT ACTIONS WITH LIABILITY ISSUES RE MASK USE? AM I MAKING ANY SENSE OR SHOULD I SAY GOODNIGHT!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

kaysixteen

Thing that most caught my eye with respect to the Reason article was the notion that a professor drafted into duty as a replacement prof should expect to do so without additional compensation.   I get that doing this for a week or two would probably be seen as effectively a departmental good citizen duty, but what happens if Prof. X gets sick in mid-Sept and will not be able to continue for the rest of the semester?  Should Prof. Y be asked to do what effectively is an entire course for no extra money?  In any case, if a professor is ever to be asked to become a replacement for no additional pay, such a professor must in no case be an adjunct.  It would be the height of unseemliness to ask such a stipended peon to do so.  And in any case, many professors are already going to be asked to essentially double-up anyhow this semester, teaching parallel ftf and ol classes, and no one is planning on paying them more to do so.

nebo113

Quote from: Economizer on July 19, 2020, 08:22:47 PM
OK, MAYBE WE ARE DOWN TO AT WHAT THRESHOLDS WOULD JUSTIFY MASKS BEING MANDATED? CAN A LESSER JURISDICTION WITHIN A STATE MANDATE MASK USE? THAT WITH STATE GOV. OVERSIGHT AND APPROVAL? ARE THERE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS Y'ALL MIGHT POSE? COULD THERE BE ANY COURT ACTIONS WITH LIABILITY ISSUES RE MASK USE? AM I MAKING ANY SENSE OR SHOULD I SAY GOODNIGHT!

GOODNIGHT.

Caracal

Quote from: kaysixteen on July 19, 2020, 08:42:01 PM
Thing that most caught my eye with respect to the Reason article was the notion that a professor drafted into duty as a replacement prof should expect to do so without additional compensation.   I get that doing this for a week or two would probably be seen as effectively a departmental good citizen duty, but what happens if Prof. X gets sick in mid-Sept and will not be able to continue for the rest of the semester?  Should Prof. Y be asked to do what effectively is an entire course for no extra money?  In any case, if a professor is ever to be asked to become a replacement for no additional pay, such a professor must in no case be an adjunct.  It would be the height of unseemliness to ask such a stipended peon to do so.  And in any case, many professors are already going to be asked to essentially double-up anyhow this semester, teaching parallel ftf and ol classes, and no one is planning on paying them more to do so.

There's a certain clarity in being paid by the course. I can't say I would be real excited about the prospect of taking over a course in the middle of an already messy semester, but depending on the circumstances I might consider it, partly just as a favor to a chair and department who have treated me pretty well. I'm certainly not doing it for free, though.

FishProf

A pox on any department that asks its adjuncts to teach uncompensated.  FT faculty get compensated for taking over a course as specified in the contract.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on July 20, 2020, 06:48:33 AM
Quote from: kaysixteen on July 19, 2020, 08:42:01 PM

There's a certain clarity in being paid by the course. I can't say I would be real excited about the prospect of taking over a course in the middle of an already messy semester, but depending on the circumstances I might consider it, partly just as a favor to a chair and department who have treated me pretty well. I'm certainly not doing it for free, though.

And getting paid another stipend on top of your full time benefits? That's not you doing them a favor. It's your business booming.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Out University made masks a requirement for the fall. Unfortunately, there are a few anti-mask people in one of the Natural Science disciplines. It is 'frustrating' to interact with them. Any suggestions, besides just not engaging?

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 20, 2020, 11:16:33 AM
Out University made masks a requirement for the fall. Unfortunately, there are a few anti-mask people in one of the Natural Science disciplines. It is 'frustrating' to interact with them. Any suggestions, besides just not engaging?

Ignore them.  Also, stay more than 6' back.
Unless you are the chosen (and paid to be) enforcer of health & safety, I'd stay out of it.  You have more than enough on your plate as is.

clean

QuoteThing that most caught my eye with respect to the Reason article was the notion that a professor drafted into duty as a replacement prof should expect to do so without additional compensation.   I get that doing this for a week or two would probably be seen as effectively a departmental good citizen duty, but what happens if Prof. X gets sick in mid-Sept and will not be able to continue for the rest of the semester?

Long ago, one of my coworkers was scheduled for knee replacement surgery after Spring Break. (It is a long story, as he had originally offered to have it done in the summer as long as he didnt take a pay cut for nto having summer teaching. He had 30 years with the campus and over 3 years of sick pay!).  The first administration offer was for us to take over his classes for prorated adjunct pay.  We countered with prorated summer pay, and I said, I will do it because you tell me to before I accept prorated adjunct pay.  IF you pay me that, then you will think that is a fair wage and I certainly do not, and IF I do it for free, then you will owe me some favor in the future.
We settled on full adjunct pay.
However, that situation had a known term. We knew he would not return before summer school started. WIth CV, will someone be unable to deal with the class, even online, for 10 days?  2 Weeks?  2 months?  How does one plan for this when there is a surprise start date and and unknown duration?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

kaysixteen

Natural sciences professors are anti-mask?  What is next, flat-earthers in the astronomy dept.?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: kaysixteen on July 20, 2020, 06:59:12 PM
Natural sciences professors are anti-mask?  What is next, flat-earthers in the astronomy dept.?

It's a really messed-up situation. I try to avoid interacting with them.

Anselm

Got this in an email from the admincritters:

A faculty syllabus statement to consider using:   Masks or shields will be required in our classroom unless we are all able to social distance. The aforementioned requirements, assignments, evaluation procedures, and other contents of this syllabus are subject to change. Students' experiences and needs, as well as emerging knowledge, will be considered in modifying this course syllabus. Also, please know that in this time of COVID-19, if I become ill, the course will continue even if I cannot. 

Huh?  How does a class continue without the teacher? 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

kaysixteen

Anyone done any research/ seen any data, on what colleges did during the 1918-9 flu pandemic?  They had no access to high tech virtual teaching, of course, so what exactly did they do?