News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on March 14, 2022, 11:31:57 AM
Normally, the consequences of not following orders in a job are a reprimand or a write-up.

The consequences for getting research steps out of order "in real life" can range from greater delays in esearch progress--and the attendant need to work unpaid overtime to meet the projected manager's goals--to a failed experiment.

I wouldn't fail to let them know about any of these potential consequences, and I wouldn't shield them from whichever and as many as may be appropriate in such a case.

I know that's obvious, but I mean it supportive, as in, "you'd be fully justified to read 'em the riot act and penalize them as needs be."

If they don't learn now, they won't last two days in a real-life job ...I've seen folks in pharma wet labs get fired on the spot for such shenanigans.

M.

I was and still am livid. We're going to have a come to Jesus talk tomorrow since I was not there today. It appears that I cannot trust them to be unsupervised.

mamselle

Sorry it has to come to that--and with everything else that's going on.

But yeah, you have to.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

arcturus

When I reject a paper, I expect the journal editor to exercise their authority not to forward an author's response for further review. I also expect the authors to do more than just add a single sentence to their original draft! My initial review indicated a complete re-write was necessary (including new analysis of the data and re-framing of their results) and that the resulting revisions would make the paper not appropriate for this particular journal (as is, the paper is not appropriate for this particular journal since the data have not been analyzed correctly...). Instead, it appears that I am expected to provide another review. If the editor did not trust my first evalution, why should I waste more time on this process for a crappy paper that should never see the light of day?

mamselle

You shoudn't.

A one-sentence, "No appreciable changes, the previous review stands" should do it, from what you've said...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

So the two factor authentication isn't working for the site I want to log into. I can't log in.
In order to get customer service, you need to log in.
I see a problem here.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Quote from: downer on March 22, 2022, 06:04:50 AM
So the two factor authentication isn't working for the site I want to log into. I can't log in.
I see a problem here.

That, and the kind of emailed 'help desk" for an online service whose broken online service means my email ISN'T WORKING drive me nuts...

Commiserations.

M.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on March 22, 2022, 08:15:54 AM
Quote from: downer on March 22, 2022, 06:04:50 AM
I see a problem here.

That, and the kind of emailed 'help desk" for an online service whose broken online service means my email ISN'T WORKING drive me nuts...

Commiserations.

M.

I'm sure there was at least one Dilbert comic about a system like that designed by Dogbert. And of course they have the Preventer of Information Services.......
It takes so little to be above average.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm tired, bitchified and grumpy. I'm tired of admins wanting me to do more without any incentives and tired of students not knowing how to calculate their f*cking grades! How the hell do you function if you can't do basic Math? Addition and subtraction, people! That's it. That's how you calculate your grade.

I had a 13 hour day yesterday because, well, just because. Should I be thankful that I have a full-time job with benefits? Yes. BUT, the workload is not proportional to the pay, commute and all the crap that I tolerate. I also found out that some people in the department are being rewarded in a way that seems excessive. I can't go into details, but it really pissed me off.

RatGuy

I guess the city is doing some sort of road work or infrastructure project nearby, because they shut off my water. If they'd called ahead they would have learned its my laundry day.

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 24, 2022, 06:46:02 AM
I'm tired, bitchified and grumpy. I'm tired of admins wanting me to do more without any incentives and tired of students not knowing how to calculate their f*cking grades! How the hell do you function if you can't do basic Math? Addition and subtraction, people! That's it. That's how you calculate your grade.

I had a 13 hour day yesterday because, well, just because. Should I be thankful that I have a full-time job with benefits? Yes. BUT, the workload is not proportional to the pay, commute and all the crap that I tolerate. I also found out that some people in the department are being rewarded in a way that seems excessive. I can't go into details, but it really pissed me off.

+1 to the bolded, EPW. Right there with you.

Also, we all got a survey yesterday so we can tell Admin how absolutely wonderful they are, as a way of validating their decision to apply for a Malcolm Baldridge Award to reward their own excellence.  Are you f*&%ing serious? The irony of the tone-deafness would be absolutely hilarious if it weren't so infuriating.

apl68

Probably more of a First-World problem, but I'll put it here--we have tar being spread down the road right in front of the library today (And probably for the next couple of days).  Getting across the road when I leave work will be a challenge that will probably require detouring well out of my way.

On top of that, there's an alternate route that's currently obstructed by efforts to dig up and fix a leaking water main.

Really, I'm not complaining--it's good that we're getting this infrastructure work done.  It will be a real feather in the Mayor's cap when it's all over.  At the moment, though, it's quite an inconvenience for everybody who has to pass through here.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

alto_stratus

Sheesh, what have I been away a year or so, and I land on that topic first? What a bunch of morons.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 24, 2022, 06:46:02 AM

+1 to the bolded EPW.

This week, I've had more than one student in a basketweaving statistics class complaining that the cumulative grade was not shown in the LMS and how were they supposed to know how they were doing?  If you cannot calculate your grades using the information provided in the syllabus you don't deserve to pass this course. It's straight points, people! The only slightly complicated thing is that some of your lowest grades are dropped, and that is even shown in the LMS!

Also, all of you students who are expecting me to hyflex everything in perpetuity? It's not happening. This summer, all of my classes are designated as in-person* Come to class. Or don't. You are adults, and you can make that choice. I'm not going to double-plan my course because you don't feel like coming to class.

I'm done. And since May term will be the end of things for me, I'm really, really done. I've worked more than 8 hours today, and the only redeeming part of today is that my saint of an SO brought home my favorite adult beverage and really good chocolate.   EPW and AmLitHist, I hope you got to relax in the manner of your choosings this weekend.

*my classes this Spring are also in-person, but we were "strongly encouraged" to continue being flexible

mamselle

Ooooh, ooh, what good chocolate?

(Asked while sipping a teacup of cocoa as my permitted late-afternoon snack with a single Pirondelle baton to go with it...)

M.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: mamselle on March 26, 2022, 03:58:59 PM
Ooooh, ooh, what good chocolate?

(Asked while sipping a teacup of cocoa as my permitted late-afternoon snack with a single Pirondelle baton to go with it...)

M.

I love salty and sweet, so I enjoy the Aldi's Chocuer salted pretzel. It is not high-end chocolate (sorry, mamselle), but it's one of my favorites and always a treat when it makes it into the grocery basket.