News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Implants can take many months for older people whose bone matter does not regenerate very quickly. Sometimes they are not feasible at all. It can require many visits to the dental surgeon as well as the dentist. While you are waiting for the implants to take, you need to wear a temporary cosmetic piece that can be annoying and uncomfortable.

I'd say the younger you are, the more sense implants make. Implants are a serious investment of money and sacrifice of quality of life in the short term.

A bridge means doing damage to surrounding teeth. It tends not to last as long as implants. But that may not matter. If I were in my 70s or 80s I'd probably get a bridge. 50s or 60s is more of a judgment call. The big advantage of a bridge is that it gets sorted out more quickly, which is a non-trivial factor.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Larimar

Quote from: apl68 on June 08, 2021, 07:28:39 AM
Hope Larimar is recovering well.

I have a sore throat I haven't been able to shake this morning.  I don't need to get sick--there's so much to do this week!
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 08, 2021, 08:42:47 AM
Quote from: mamselle on June 07, 2021, 03:50:52 PM
Crushed clove head under the gum can help, too, sometimes.

M.

Yep and clove oil, if you have it. Hope you feel better, Larimar.

Thanks, everyone. Never heard that about cloves before. How interesting! Hope you're feeling better too, apl68. Also best wishes to clean's colleague.

fishbrains

You can always watch the movie Marathon Man for a tutorial on using clove oil for oral pain: "Life can be that simple: Relief or discomfort" sayeth the dentist.

I think I'm showing my age here.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Mobius

Reading grad student tweets about starting an unfunded Ph.D. is depressing.

AmLitHist

Quote from: fishbrains on June 08, 2021, 04:30:12 PM
You can always watch the movie Marathon Man for a tutorial on using clove oil for oral pain: "Life can be that simple: Relief or discomfort" sayeth the dentist.

I think I'm showing my age here.

Move over--every time something about teeth or dental problems come up, I think of that movie!

EdnaMode

Summers off, my big fat a**!!! Running a search for two faculty, reviewing internal P&T dossiers, serving as an external reviewer for another institution, being a journal editor, preparing for a virtual conference, updating two classes to accommodate a software change and new book edition, trying to get an electrical issue in my lab sorted, and on top of it all, missing my person who is away a week for work - virtual hugs just aren't the same when I'm grumpy and in need of a proper hug. Ugh.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mamselle

Well, virtual hugs, anyway,, and....hmmm, maybe...

Baby otters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQQDHWlf44

(backstory: The two adult otters are twin sisters. Both were bred, conceived and delivered, one lost her pup, but started feeding the other sister's pups, and sharing all other caregiving activities, like moving towels to make a new nest (a security protection in the wild, carried over into domestic settings) and cleaning and grooming them, etc.

The babies go to either sister-mom equally, but their mothers are now starting to wean them (or maybe just getting tired of being the milk table all the time!). Hence some of the oral play, I suspect.

These are all documented, legally-bred otters, they were not kidnapped in Thailand. 

They, and a couple of other otter sites (Aty is my favorite) are my go-to when frustrated, out-of-sorts, or just bored!

Enjoy, I hope!

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

EdnaMode

Quote from: mamselle on June 09, 2021, 07:32:29 AM
Well, virtual hugs, anyway,, and....hmmm, maybe...

Baby otters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQQDHWlf44

Enjoy, I hope!

Awwwww!!!! How absolutely adorable are they? Thanks for the virtual hug and the smile.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mamselle

You're welcome.

I know.

Those little faces.

And they are sooooo bright!!

M.

San Joaquin

Gah!  We all have those colleagues who are "glory hounds".  They volunteer for everything, fail to follow through, and then show up to claim their share of the accolades. 

I have a whole committee of them.  One of them routinely calls for "something concrete!"  Um...you're the committee...

They also keep trying to give other people's staff pieces of their work to do.  We do talk to each other.  It gets sent back gently, so far.

Can I vote them off the island?

mamselle

We'll all vote you in charge of the island and then you can do whatever you wish with them.

(Any sharks living nearby?)

Sorry, that might be too mean, even for glory-hounds.

Maybe find them a fox to chase?

M.

San Joaquin

It just got even better.

"What do you mean we have to have the project fully designed before we can send the change form to our accreditor?  Then we'll have to meet over the summer!"

How about I just vote myself off the island...?

mamselle

But...but....you just got there, right??

(On the other hand, maybe there's your fox....)

;--}

M.

San Joaquin

If you can't fill out a form describing what you want to do, is that bad?