News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

Students or customers?

They're cancelling classes when there are 8 weeks remaining for registration?  Where I work, much enrollment occurs just 2 weeks prior to start of semester and some customers enroll well into the second week of the semester.

FishProf

These are just annoying.  I know they are mass emails in the hope of getting...something.  But still.

"I am [Name, real or bogus?] graduated with M.Sc. degree in Medical Biotechnology from [Overseas University East]. My M.Sc. thesis title is "Development of a new solid phase for simultaneous detection of specific antibodies in human serum" in which I designed, set up, and optimized an advanced method of ELIZA by immunizing rabbits to track HIV/HCV antibodies with the help of human core antigen (recombinant) level in control samples using numerical and analytical methods.

I have submitted 2 articles (should be noticed that I am waiting for the editor's response) as well as 2 conference papers in different subjects relating to my education and other fields of my interests. Furthermore, I have worked as a Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) in a reputed pharmaceutical company (BegoniaPharmed) for two years

In addition, I am currently working on a Journal paper in collaboration with research scientists and neurosurgeons from Hulawei Hospital focuses on neurological concerns. Throughout my career, I had the honor to be part of the intelligent community of Lydian University of Medical Sciences.

Regarding your previous activities and your publications, I believe there are a number of similarities between your specialization and my research interests which would pave my path toward my goals. It would be much appreciated if you have any Ph.D./M.Sc. position for me in your research group. I wonder if you would be so kind as to read my CV (which is attached to this email in PDF format) and let me know if it could be acceptable to pursue my education towards a Master's /Ph.D. degree under your supervision in next year.

I know you are very busy, so I appreciate any time you can give me.  Thank you very much."

Um, I study fish behavior and courtship songs.  Could you be more far off in your search?  Oh, and we don't have a PhD program.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

marshwiggle

Quote from: FishProf on June 18, 2021, 08:08:04 AM
These are just annoying.  I know they are mass emails in the hope of getting...something.  But still.

"I am [Name, real or bogus?] graduated with M.Sc. degree in Medical Biotechnology from [Overseas University East]. My M.Sc. thesis title is "Development of a new solid phase for simultaneous detection of specific antibodies in human serum" in which I designed, set up, and optimized an advanced method of ELIZA by immunizing rabbits to track HIV/HCV antibodies with the help of human core antigen (recombinant) level in control samples using numerical and analytical methods.

I know you are very busy, so I appreciate any time you can give me.  Thank you very much."

Um, I study fish behavior and courtship songs.  Could you be more far off in your search?  Oh, and we don't have a PhD program.

I can do you one better. I get those, and I

• Don't have a PhD
  • Don't do research at all
(And we don't have a PhD program either.)

This does not speak well of the writer's "research" skills.

It takes so little to be above average.

AmLitHist

Quote from: Cheerful on June 17, 2021, 03:25:51 PM
Students or customers?

They're cancelling classes when there are 8 weeks remaining for registration?  Where I work, much enrollment occurs just 2 weeks prior to start of semester and some customers enroll well into the second week of the semester.

Exactly--and it's the same here.  Even in the boom days when I was chair, we never worried seriously about low numbers until the week before classes start (particularly at my campus. where registration is notoriously and aggravatingly slow).  And even at that, I'd end up scrambling for adjuncts, piling on OL, and searching for places to meet over the final weekend before start, even pushing some starts back a week to accommodate late adds. In more lean times of the past 5-6 years, many times I've had classes sit at 6-7 students into early August, then fill up to 25 over the week prior to start. 

I'm just annoyed because I want to know for sure what I'll be teaching, so I can get classes ready while my summer online sections are chugging along.  I have visions of getting a finalized and much-changed schedule the beginning of Service Week (the week before classes start), then having to throw everything together at the last minute while also having to attend meetings (or else be charged with sick days for not attending).

Meh.  If this current Admin would do things to actually make sense, I'd probably have a stroke in response to the shock.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on June 18, 2021, 08:08:04 AM

Your user name suddenly makes sense to me...
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm really getting tired of my body parts clogging. I think I have a submandibular stone.

fishbrains

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

clean

After spending several hours on campus today, (A friday on a holiday weekend)  I came home at 730 to find that my wife was in the garauge with the door to the house open, evaluating the defrosted freezer in the gaurage.  I smelled the problem as soon as I hit the front door

Just yesterday morning, I asked her about the steaks we were to bring to her parent's house. I asked her to check that they were big enough for the group coming and to move them to the refrigerator to defrost.

So tonight the freezer is defrosted and everything stinky! 
I take the blame for the power outage.  I had been working with the electric weedeater in the back yard and while I put the weedeater back in the garauge, I left the extension chord in the back yard.  Yesterday it rained and the GFR that the freezer is plugged into tripped causing the problem. 

SO i have spent the last 2 1/2 hours dealing with the contents, cleaning the freezer (the bride helped with that) and then I mopped the floor.  My back hurts. 

When I asked why the steaks were not in the fridge (at least we would have the food we promised to bring), she said "my mamma said to take them out tomorrow". 

Well shit, .. 

Im going to have to recheck those vows to see who the bride is supposed to 'Obey" 
(I joke that my brother said that vow at his wedding.... He put a ring on her finger, she put a ring in his nose!)  (I think that is funny, but my brother doesnt!... which makes it funnier!!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Um, it's a conversation, not a competition.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fishbrains

Eye well starter dodoing spilling toasts unfill theses stoogents learnt ow too ewes da spearchecker. Jeehebus ache Crystal!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

Quote from: fishbrains on July 03, 2021, 09:24:31 AM
Eye well starter dodoing spilling toasts unfill theses stoogents learnt ow too ewes da spearchecker. Jeehebus ache Crystal!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .

;--》

Well done.

I had to read it out loud to figure it out...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Can you say well done in the venting thread?

mamselle

Hmmm.....well, if the vent is well-expressed, maybe?

M.

FishProf

I think a complaint that you didn't think of it first is in order.  Pull a Huxley.

apl68

Twice this week I've found the remains of a fast-food meal scattered on the ground right next to the open-topped dumpster by the service entrance to our building.  Who in the world can't toss something into a target that big?  It looks like somebody has been chucking their trash at the dumpster while driving by through the parking lot.  That moment's carelessness keeps making it necessary for me to pick all the trash up.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.