News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Quote from: AmLitHist on March 08, 2020, 08:38:54 AM
Some of the negative constipation around the vaccination issue is based on individual liberty and religious freedom.

Uh.....

I am constantly correcting misconceptions about positive and negative reinforcements and punishments.  What is the world is negative constipation?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on March 12, 2020, 07:20:47 AM
Some of the negative constipation around the vaccination issue is based on individual liberty and religious freedom.

Uh.....

I am constantly correcting misconceptions about positive and negative reinforcements and punishments.  What is the world is negative constipation?

Dysentery, of course.  Although how getting "the runs" as a side effect of vaccination would be an individual liberty and religious freedom issues remains obscure.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Blackadder

Quote from: apl68 on March 12, 2020, 07:37:27 AM
Quote from: FishProf on March 12, 2020, 07:20:47 AM

Uh.....

Dysentery, of course.  Although how getting "the runs" as a side effect of vaccination would be an individual liberty and religious freedom issues remains obscure.
Forced bathroom confinement curtailing liberty? Still murky on the religious issue though.

jerseyjay

In one of my classes, students need to interview and immigrant and then write up his or her story. One of the papers has the following sentence:

"Imagine spending thousands of dollars to get a Ph.D for you to end up being just an unemployed citizen- that's the situation of many in Haiti."

Actually, yes, I can imagine that.

Of course, Haiti is a much, much poorer country than the U.S. I don't doubt an adjunct's life in the U.S. is much better economically than a poor person in Haiti. And I do not know how many unemployed PhDs there are in Haiti. But it struck me that this was a strange way to emphasize the poverty of Haiti (especially since the immigrant the student interviewed does not have a PhD).

writingprof

"Since the beginning of time, standardized testing has caused problems in schools."

God, make it stop.

marshwiggle

Quote from: writingprof on March 24, 2020, 11:01:33 AM
"Since the beginning of time, standardized testing has caused problems in schools."

Well, I can see history tests at the beginning of time being particularly problematic.

It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 24, 2020, 11:13:14 AM
Quote from: writingprof on March 24, 2020, 11:01:33 AM

Well, I can see history tests at the beginning of time being particularly problematic.

Well, they should have been easy to pass, anyway.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Nightshade

"Furthermore, the way that the peaches present themselves bear heavy resemblance to human butts."

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Nightshade on April 01, 2020, 01:40:36 PM
"Furthermore, the way that the peaches present themselves bear heavy resemblance to human butts."

How risqué of them - those naughty, naughty peaches!

traductio

That's a fantastic sentence! I appreciate the simile. I always appreciate figurative writing.

(About a year ago I supervised a master's student who wrote a fairly remarkable thesis about notions of authenticity in advertising. Her focus was a certain line of lingerie, but she was clearly struggling to maintain a sense of decorum in her writing. She found many creative ways to avoid the word "ass.")

Nightshade

Quote from: traductio on April 02, 2020, 08:00:33 AM

That's a fantastic sentence! I appreciate the simile. I always appreciate figurative writing.

(About a year ago I supervised a master's student who wrote a fairly remarkable thesis about notions of authenticity in advertising. Her focus was a certain line of lingerie, but she was clearly struggling to maintain a sense of decorum in her writing. She found many creative ways to avoid the word "ass.")

I laughed until my stomach hurt when I read it, even though the student was quite right in their analysis.  I'm glad to hear others found it as lovely as I did. What an interesting thesis on the part of your student!

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Nightshade on April 02, 2020, 12:53:36 PM
Quote from: traductio on April 02, 2020, 08:00:33 AM

I laughed until my stomach hurt when I read it, even though the student was quite right in their analysis.  I'm glad to hear others found it as lovely as I did. What an interesting thesis on the part of your student!

Saying the peaches "present themselves" this way suggests to me that the peaches made a conscious, deliberate act. As in, "Hey, humans! Look at this!"

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on April 02, 2020, 06:43:30 PM
Peaches mooning humans...

M.

This is clearly the thread I needed to read tonight.

Hegemony

"God told Eve to bare children..."