News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

"I was directed by my advisor to ask you my question regarding the [Technical Basketweaving I] courses being offered next semester.  I am wondering why seven [Technical Basketweaving I] courses are offered but four are for [Technical Major 1] students and two are for [Technical Major II] students leaving only one [Technical Basketweaving I] class for the remaining students not in those other two programs but still need to take the course as a prerequisite for various graduate programs?"

My reply:  Those majors need the course for requirements HERE, and they need all the seats.  It has been this way for years, I'm surprised your advisor doesn't know this.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 02, 2020, 05:07:33 PM
Quote from: Nightshade on April 02, 2020, 12:53:36 PM
Quote from: traductio on April 02, 2020, 08:00:33 AM
Quote from: Nightshade on April 01, 2020, 01:40:36 PM
"Furthermore, the way that the peaches present themselves bear heavy resemblance to human butts."

That's a fantastic sentence! I appreciate the simile. I always appreciate figurative writing.

(About a year ago I supervised a master's student who wrote a fairly remarkable thesis about notions of authenticity in advertising. Her focus was a certain line of lingerie, but she was clearly struggling to maintain a sense of decorum in her writing. She found many creative ways to avoid the word "ass.")

I laughed until my stomach hurt when I read it, even though the student was quite right in their analysis.  I'm glad to hear others found it as lovely as I did. What an interesting thesis on the part of your student!

Saying the peaches "present themselves" this way suggests to me that the peaches made a conscious, deliberate act. As in, "Hey, humans! Look at this!"

Their crude sense of humor is one reason why I've never liked peaches.  Or beans.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

cathwen

This sentence comes from a student paper on the French film, A Very Long Engagement (Un long dimanche de fiançailles), set during World War I: 

"One thing that surprised me about this film was the sexual content. Sex is a part of life, but there was a particular scene with a house that it seemed men went to, to indulge with women. I had never heard of that at this time period. "

I was soooo tempted to reply with "Since the dawn of time..." 

tomten

"They were all spoiled pre-Madonnas."

Parasaurolophus

omg you guys, those are great! Thanks for the pick-me-up!

Mine, from today's batch of essays:

QuoteThe explosion of Africans is not by poverty but by race.

I think what they meant was that the rate of exposure of African-Americans to hazardous waste sites and materials is best explained by race, rather than economic factors. But I can't be sure. Context does not help at all, in this instance.
I know it's a genus.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: apl68 on April 03, 2020, 08:04:23 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 02, 2020, 05:07:33 PM
Quote from: Nightshade on April 02, 2020, 12:53:36 PM
Quote from: traductio on April 02, 2020, 08:00:33 AM
Quote from: Nightshade on April 01, 2020, 01:40:36 PM
"Furthermore, the way that the peaches present themselves bear heavy resemblance to human butts."

That's a fantastic sentence! I appreciate the simile. I always appreciate figurative writing.

(About a year ago I supervised a master's student who wrote a fairly remarkable thesis about notions of authenticity in advertising. Her focus was a certain line of lingerie, but she was clearly struggling to maintain a sense of decorum in her writing. She found many creative ways to avoid the word "ass.")

I laughed until my stomach hurt when I read it, even though the student was quite right in their analysis.  I'm glad to hear others found it as lovely as I did. What an interesting thesis on the part of your student!

Saying the peaches "present themselves" this way suggests to me that the peaches made a conscious, deliberate act. As in, "Hey, humans! Look at this!"

Their crude sense of humor is one reason why I've never liked peaches.  Or beans.

It's the heaviness, of peaches, of butts, of their crude sense of humor, the heaviness is what did it for me.

Parasaurolophus

"The specialty of this article is that the words are being used in the form of phrases."
I know it's a genus.

0susanna

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 19, 2020, 10:07:47 AM
"The specialty of this article is that the words are being used in the form of phrases."
This seems like a variation on that English lit essay favorite, "This story/poem/play has a lot of diction."

writingprof

"I had the urge to panic and abort ship."

Please, it's not a "ship" until it sails on the ocean. The phrase you're looking for is "products of naval construction."

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: 0susanna on April 20, 2020, 09:15:52 AM
This seems like a variation on that English lit essay favorite, "This story/poem/play has a lot of diction."

!

I hadn't heard that one before!
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: writingprof on April 21, 2020, 10:28:36 AM

Please, it's not a "ship" until it sails on the ocean. The phrase you're looking for is "products of naval construction."

When the economy gets back to normal, we're going to be missing all those ships that were cancelled before construction by panicky builders.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

writingprof

Quote from: apl68 on April 21, 2020, 12:48:14 PM
Quote from: writingprof on April 21, 2020, 10:28:36 AM

When the economy gets back to normal, we're going to be missing all those ships that were cancelled before construction by panicky builders.

Hmmmm. If this is a continuation of my abortion joke, it is too subtle for mine eyes.

present_mirth

Back in my days as an AP lit exam reader, I read sooo many variations on "The author is using diction and syntax..."

(Why, yes, literature generally consists of words and sentences. How clever of you to have noticed!)

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: present_mirth on April 21, 2020, 05:13:48 PM

Back in my days as an AP lit exam reader, I read sooo many variations on "The author is using diction and syntax..."

(Why, yes, literature generally consists of words and sentences. How clever of you to have noticed!)

lmao!

Today's gem from grading jail: "In 19th century, America faced a Hurricane Named "Katrina". Which nearly destroyed nearly all America."
I know it's a genus.

Pendragon

My current favorite:

"Basically, theater plays were kind of like live television or live shows of entertainment before those things were invented."