News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Tax Man Cometh!

Started by hmaria1609, January 30, 2020, 07:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Did mine this afternoon. Good to be done!

At the library, we're still good with federal tax materials for the public. Found out we're getting the last batch of state tax booklets as a limited quantity was printed this year. Once we run out, we'll print out forms whatever patrons need upon request.

kaysixteen

The pandemic era saw vast increases in the length of time the federales took to process returns and issue refunds.   Anyone know what the rough length expectations are this year?

Puget

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 17, 2024, 08:45:44 PMThe pandemic era saw vast increases in the length of time the federales took to process returns and issue refunds.   Anyone know what the rough length expectations are this year?

I've heard that was true for paper returns, but I have never experienced a delay in getting refunds when e-filing. You can e-file an electronic version of the same paper forms for free (just go to the IRS website), or if you meet income requirements you can also use tax prep software for free (you must go through the IRS free-file portal, you can't just start with the software).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

kaysixteen

I had a bad experience during the pandemic one year trying to use various free tax e-file programs linked on the IRS www site (these were all run by private entities-- one I tried clearly was not correct, at least not for the MA state taxes, as I knew enough to know they had not asked me for some relevant required info that would have significantly increased my state refund).   So I gave up and paper filed that year, and yes, it took many moons to get the refund.   I have not attempted to e-file ever again, and just sent out my paper returns last monday.  Back in the glory pre-pandemic days, fed returns on regular paper files took about a month, but I used to file more or less last minute-- March 11 was the earliest I have filed taxes in well over a decade.

Puget

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 18, 2024, 07:30:02 PMI had a bad experience during the pandemic one year trying to use various free tax e-file programs linked on the IRS www site (these were all run by private entities-- one I tried clearly was not correct, at least not for the MA state taxes, as I knew enough to know they had not asked me for some relevant required info that would have significantly increased my state refund).   So I gave up and paper filed that year, and yes, it took many moons to get the refund.   I have not attempted to e-file ever again, and just sent out my paper returns last monday.  Back in the glory pre-pandemic days, fed returns on regular paper files took about a month, but I used to file more or less last minute-- March 11 was the earliest I have filed taxes in well over a decade.

Not all the free file software options will do state returns for all (or any) state- you need to choose one that will or just do your state taxes separately (you can e-file your MA taxes through the state website, except if you need a few less commonly used additional forms). But if you prefer something exactly like the paper forms for your federal return, I would certainly encourage you to e-file using the IRS use the free fillable forms in the future. You will get your refund much faster that way, and the forms will do some of the math for you.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

apl68

Quote from: Puget on March 18, 2024, 07:35:22 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on March 18, 2024, 07:30:02 PMI had a bad experience during the pandemic one year trying to use various free tax e-file programs linked on the IRS www site (these were all run by private entities-- one I tried clearly was not correct, at least not for the MA state taxes, as I knew enough to know they had not asked me for some relevant required info that would have significantly increased my state refund).   So I gave up and paper filed that year, and yes, it took many moons to get the refund.   I have not attempted to e-file ever again, and just sent out my paper returns last monday.  Back in the glory pre-pandemic days, fed returns on regular paper files took about a month, but I used to file more or less last minute-- March 11 was the earliest I have filed taxes in well over a decade.

Not all the free file software options will do state returns for all (or any) state- you need to choose one that will or just do your state taxes separately (you can e-file your MA taxes through the state website, except if you need a few less commonly used additional forms). But if you prefer something exactly like the paper forms for your federal return, I would certainly encourage you to e-file using the IRS use the free fillable forms in the future. You will get your refund much faster that way, and the forms will do some of the math for you.

Most public libraries can also help you to find the forms and instructions you need online.  Staff members probably won't be allowed to help you complete them, but they can help you find what you need.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

secundem_artem

I purchased Turbo Tax and found it quite easy to use.  Took about 2 hours

Historically, I've paid a tax service, but they got bought out by a pair of accountants and I'm too small a fish for them to be interested in, so they've priced themselves out of my tolerance. Turbo Tax federal + an extra charge for state + some features I probably did not need to buy saved me over $100 from what the accountant would have charged.  Next year, I won't buy the add on and will save another $69 or so.

According to Turbo Tax, e-files should get a refund in 2-3 weeks. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

kaysixteen

The prob I had a few years back when I tried to use the thing for the MA state taxes, is that the form was incomplete, leaving out amongst other things the tax credit given for paid rent.   If I had not known these things, I would have just clicked 'file'... and lost money.

My income is very low, and I have no dependents, no itemized deductions, really no nothing that would make my taxes hard to do, even the MA state ones, which are more complex than the feds.   I can easily do all the math myself, esp for the fed form, in just minutes.   But I guess next year I will again at least consider e-filing.

Puget

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 19, 2024, 06:48:13 PMThe prob I had a few years back when I tried to use the thing for the MA state taxes, is that the form was incomplete, leaving out amongst other things the tax credit given for paid rent.   If I had not known these things, I would have just clicked 'file'... and lost money.

My income is very low, and I have no dependents, no itemized deductions, really no nothing that would make my taxes hard to do, even the MA state ones, which are more complex than the feds.   I can easily do all the math myself, esp for the fed form, in just minutes.   But I guess next year I will again at least consider e-filing.

The IRS free fillable forms that you then e-file look exactly like the paper forms, I promise. Same with the online MA tax forms.

clean

It is the Friday before Tax Day!
I bought TurboTax this morning.
My weekend plans seem to be made now! 

Are your taxes done?  If not, will you file an extension or will you get it done??
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Did them last weekend and already got my refund!

jimbogumbo

Ours were filed two weeks ago, and we have the Federal refund. Waiting on state.

apl68

Federal and state refunds have both arrived.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

conspiracy!
I got TurboTax yesterday, but my internet connection has been off for the past 12 hours!  not able to download it!
Hopefully restored soon!

clean

It was an hours long grind, but taxes filed and accepted!