News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How big is your 'to read' folder?

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 16, 2024, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I was just consolidating/reorganizing my PDF library, and saw that my 'to read' folder has 1085 items, of which 198 are in the 'exciting readings' folder.

It gives me some hope that I might manage to read at least the things I marked as exciting. And really, a thousand isn't that many articles and books--I read 500 or so for my book, which only took about 18 months to write. So really, it should be possible to read them all--not that I will.

So... how big is your 'to read' folder?
I know it's a genus.

Kron3007

You are way more organized than I am...

Wahoo Redux

I have about 350 files and folders total.  Not sure how many are in the files, but I don't think I have 1,000.  I do have one whole mega-folder called "Books Stolen from the Web."
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jerseyjay

I have several projects in varied state of research--from actively writing to ideas that I have been playing with for years. Then there are things that I am interested in for teaching, general interest, etc. Each one has a folder (e.g., "snails," "eating burgers for breakfast," "the great kangaroo war of 1956," etc. When I find an article (or book) that fits one of these categories, I save it in the appropriate category.

My actual to-read material is the stack of books on my office floor. Actually, about five of them, each four feet tall. I randomly pick a book off a stack when I have time to read.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: jerseyjay on June 19, 2024, 06:53:24 PMI have several projects in varied state of research--from actively writing to ideas that I have been playing with for years. Then there are things that I am interested in for teaching, general interest, etc. Each one has a folder (e.g., "snails," "eating burgers for breakfast," "the great kangaroo war of 1956," etc. When I find an article (or book) that fits one of these categories, I save it in the appropriate category.

My actual to-read material is the stack of books on my office floor. Actually, about five of them, each four feet tall. I randomly pick a book off a stack when I have time to read.

This is about the same for me. I have lots of papers bookmarked, but they are more for me to have on hand for research projects underway, as opposed to papers that I'm just itching to read. But I do have a lot of books on my shelf that I'm planning to get to sooner or later.

apl68

Quote from: jerseyjay on June 19, 2024, 06:53:24 PMMy actual to-read material is the stack of books on my office floor. Actually, about five of them, each four feet tall. I randomly pick a book off a stack when I have time to read.

IIRC, you work in the field of history, so that's not too surprising.

Since I don't live close to any bookstores, I do a couple of major book-buying expeditions each year when I get a chance to go somewhere that has a variety of them.  I came back from one last month, and currently have stacks of material like what you describe, except that they're mostly on a table, not on the floor.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

bio-nonymous

My current reading list just for background for the grant proposal I am writing is ~180 papers--I will get to very few of them...

I keep wanting to carve out a dedicated "reading" block of time, but it never seems to happen...always other competing priorities getting in the way.

Uggg.