News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

onehappyunicorn

https://imgur.com/gallery/V1fxGQn

So we now have a sixth cat though we're hoping to find her a home. Sassy is the newest, she was really not being taken care of by someone who had way too much on their plate. This person moved and wasn't able to take Sassy with them and rather than have this poor cat go to the shelter we agreed to foster.
Sassy was about 6 pounds when we got her, she is now up to 13. Sassy only has three teeth left (she really was neglected) but she is so territorial that she has scared all of our other cats from going upstairs at our house. So, for now, the upstairs belongs to her alone. She would make a great cat for someone who only wants one cat, she really is a sweetheart, she just can't tolerate the idea of another cat existing in her space. I am guessing she had some nasty fights when she was an outdoor kitty (she has not even once wanted to go outside since we got her).

Harlow2

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 22, 2021, 09:33:49 AM
Delayed double-post.

I think that I taught youngest evil cat how to sit! I use a hand command and a verbal command and she sits!!! I think the main motivator is cat grass. She used to jump up and grab at it, but now, she politely sits.

The two of you are impressive!

mamselle

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on August 23, 2021, 06:17:49 AM

So we now have a sixth cat though we're hoping to find her a home. Sassy is the newest, she was really not being taken care of by someone who had way too much on their plate. This person moved and wasn't able to take Sassy with them and rather than have this poor cat go to the shelter we agreed to foster.
Sassy was about 6 pounds when we got her, she is now up to 13. Sassy only has three teeth left (she really was neglected) but she is so territorial that she has scared all of our other cats from going upstairs at our house. So, for now, the upstairs belongs to her alone. She would make a great cat for someone who only wants one cat, she really is a sweetheart, she just can't tolerate the idea of another cat existing in her space. I am guessing she had some nasty fights when she was an outdoor kitty (she has not even once wanted to go outside since we got her).

Sassy is beautiful.

Truly.

A friend had a kitty with that pewter-gold fur, named Peaches.

I thought I was seeing her ghost.

Even if you're just a temporary custodian in Sassy's life, and despite her difficult behaviors, I'd say you've been blessed....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on August 23, 2021, 06:17:49 AM

Aww, poor Sassy cat must have really had a rough past to be so skinny & feisty.  Glad that you are giving her a safe place to get plump and happy.

AvidReader

Sassy is so beautiful! Also, I love the name (and the pictured dignity of) Furonynmus Bosch.

AR.

Larimar

Aww, your kitties are so sweet! Furonymous actually looks somewhat like my OrangeGuy, and Hazel could be the twin of the late lamented Harlequin. Sassy is gorgeous. Glad a kitty who had such a tough previous life is now in a place where she feels safe & relaxed enough to sleep upside down like that.

Larimar

onehappyunicorn

Furonymous is just a big bag of cat jelly, he is probably the most gentle, goofy cat we've ever had.
It's taken Sassy a month to come out from underneath the upstairs bed for more than a few minutes so she is definitely more comfortable. I felt so bad when we first got her home because she would eat so quickly that she kept throwing up. Hopefully we'll find her a good home but we know it's likely we'll end up with her long-term. I'm certainly not going to post on craigslist or anything similar and while I support the local humane society they freely acknowledge that they have a hard time homing any cats older than a year or two.

mamselle

I have a feeling there are several of us who, having seen the furry horde, would gladly chip in for the extra cat food if that would help in your decision to let Sassy continue to boss your household around...

;--}

M.

OneMoreYear

Ricochet the squirrelly tortie has a new safe-spot for this week--on the uncomfortable loveseat that nobody sits on. I threw a blanket on it one day as I was cleaning, and she claimed it as her spot. Impressively, she is allowing us to pet her as she sits on the loveseat. Even more impressively, she is sometimes allowing us to sit next to her and pet her.  And, in an unprecedented move that will probably never be replicated, one time she allowed me to sit next to her, pet her, and lay my head gently on her to hear her purring.

Ninja gave us a scare this weekend. She likes to go outside in the fenced backyard when we hang out on the porch or in the yard. My SO had let her out when he was some weeding. He came back in to grab a drink, leaving her outside for a few minutes, and accidentally left the gate open.   She apparently decided it was an invitation to go exploring.  After some frantic searching, we found her under our neighbor's car.  She spent the rest of the day sacked out from all the adventuring.

Hope everyone's kitties are doing well.

paultuttle

Loud meows were coming from (apparently) nowhere while I was waiting for my Subway salad at a drive-through window today at lunchtime. I looked all around my car, but I couldn't tell where the sounds were coming from. So--worried that whatever it was might be actually under my car--I switched off the engine.

Lo and behold, a tiny gray-and-white-striped kitten emerged from a downspout next to the drive-through window. When it seemed to be getting up the courage to step down onto the pavement and into harm's way, I turned on my car's engine and it vanished into the downspout again.

I told the Subway employee about the kitten. She was surprised that it was so close to her window, because she hadn't heard it.

mamselle

Awww....you didn't pick it up out of the downspout and take it home?

Don't you really, really, really, down deep inside want a tiny gray-and-white-striped kitten?

Really?

(But I'm glad you told the Subway clerk).

;--}

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It must be shedding time. All of the evil cats have experienced hairball issues this week. I guess we'll have to brush them and give them some nasty hairball paste. They love it.

Youngest evil cat has a game that she plays with her Daddy. He throws a sheet over her and she goes ballistic. She races around under it and grabs at the sheet. I started playing a similar game with her using an old towel that we keep for the cats. She played under it and then hauled cat butt across the room.

onehappyunicorn

QuoteIt must be shedding time. All of the evil cats have experienced hairball issues this week. I guess we'll have to brush them and give them some nasty hairball paste. They love it.

We have the same issue when summer starts to turn to fall and winter to spring. There's nothing like being woken up at 3am by a cat horking a hairball on you...

evil_physics_witchcraft

Youngest evil cat is lying on me (sleeping) and is pushing elder evil cat off the couch!