News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statsgeek

My little Foster Fail girl just left her spot on the blanket to resettle on my lap.  How far we've come, and how much my heart just soared...

clean

Have we heard from SCR since her move?  Have the kitties adjusted to their new digs?  How did the trip go?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

smallcleanrat

Quote from: clean on November 12, 2023, 03:06:20 PMHave we heard from SCR since her move?  Have the kitties adjusted to their new digs?  How did the trip go?

We made it!

The drive took four days. The cats protested vociferously on day 1, but after that seemed to resign themselves to life on the road. They completely stopped resisting when I was getting them in and out of their carriers, as if thinking, "Well, I guess this is my life now." All things considered, everything went very smoothly, including all the transfers from car to hotels and back again.

Poor things barely ate the whole trip though, even when offered their favorite wet food (the kind with gravy).

At the new house, we started them off in the laundry room, and Caramelo almost immediately got himself wedged behind the dryer and had to be rescued.

When we opened the door to let them explore their new digs, Caramelo refused to budge while Maestro seemed totally at ease surveying his new kingdom. He scared us half to death by jumping on the second story railing and walking across it like a tight-rope walker. SO had to line the railing with aluminum foil to discourage Maestro from jumping up there again.

As we unpack and arrange our stuff, the cats have to explore anew as their home changes around them. Hopefully, we will have everything organized and settled soon.

Meanwhile, their appetites have returned in force and Caramelo has ventured to join his brother in exploration. They are also back to galloping and chasing each other around during zoomie time.

Welcome home, cats!

Larimar

Congrats, SCR, Caramelo, and Maestro on your new home.

mythbuster

So glad to hear the move went well. We have videos of our previous cats when we would let them loose to explore the new digs. One was very adventurous while the other would not venture out until she was sure the first one hadn't been eaten by something!
   Is this their first experience with stairs? If so you are in for a treat as they learn about traversing them at speed.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Our middle cat, kitten prodigy (not even a year old yet), has now learned how to open doors. Jesus! I'm going to have to start locking them again. The only other cat who opened doors was elder evil cat who passed this year.

apl68

My parents' cat was inconvenienced over the Christmas season by decorations and gifts stacked in places that made it harder for him to get around the room without ever touching the floor.  He had to be called down now and then to keep from damaging stuff.  As far as I know, he didn't damage anything.  Now things are returning to normal, and so is his life.  He did get to enjoy exploring some empty Christmas gift bags, at least.

He has turned out to be quite good at catching mice.  Unfortunately he only wants to play with them, and so lets them get away.  Dad has to finish running them down.  Given the cat's idea of "play," you'd think the poor little things would collapse from a heart attack.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I haven't mentioned it, until now, but the newest member of the evil clowder tested positive for FeLv (swollen glands gave it away). Our vet thinks that he must have just been infected when we found him and he tested negative. We were and are still devastated to discover this. Currently, he's isolated from the other two, who were also separated so that we could test them all again (TWICE!) to make sure that nobody else was infected. The other two evil cats are negative and now mingling again. We really can't foresee a happy life for him alone by himself, so we're looking for a place that adopts FeLv + cats. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening.