News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Transitioning a class to online midsemester

Started by downer, March 10, 2020, 09:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

secundem_artem

Various of my professional associations hold committee meetings via Zoom.  I have yet to attend a Zoom meeting where we did not spend the first 20 minutes going "I can't hear you.  There's a bad echo.  Your camera is not on."  And after 45 minutes the session dies Zoom kicks us all off and we all log in again and repeat the process.

And since Artem U does not support Zoom we've been advised "you're on your own" if we try to move to online using non uni supported software.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

hungry_ghost

Quote from: secundem_artem on March 11, 2020, 08:15:43 PM
Various of my professional associations hold committee meetings via Zoom.  I have yet to attend a Zoom meeting where we did not spend the first 20 minutes going "I can't hear you.  There's a bad echo.  Your camera is not on."  And after 45 minutes the session dies Zoom kicks us all off and we all log in again and repeat the process.

And since Artem U does not support Zoom we've been advised "you're on your own" if we try to move to online using non uni supported software.

I was told "Use zoom, it's what our university supports. But it will crash, so you can't actually use it, but it's the approved platform."
I wish I were joking.

polly_mer

This just showed up in my Twitter feed: https://sites.google.com/view/idernetwork/home

FWIW, I have a Zoom teleconference every month and it's fine with the under 10 of us.

FishProf

Quote from: Hibush on March 11, 2020, 04:49:41 PM
Quote from: FishProf on March 11, 2020, 01:44:21 PM
We had a field trip to Florida cancelled, so we planned local field trips; now cancelled.  I guess I can go and videotape what I was gonna show the students....

Where will the students get the fish to study if they don't go on the field trip?

There's a pond on campus......
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

I'm picturing knotted string, bent pins, and angular tree branches a la 《The Little Rascals》fishing expeditions...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on March 12, 2020, 07:15:42 AM
I'm picturing knotted string, bent pins, and angular tree branches a la 《The Little Rascals》fishing expeditions...

;--}

M.

We'll do noodling.  That's hands-on.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

I had to look it up, but it is what I thought it was....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling

Ewwwww!!!!!

M.

P.S., it's illegal in all but 14 states, most of which are in the south and a few in the midwest....

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on March 12, 2020, 10:34:47 AM

Ewwwww!!!!!

M.

P.S., it's illegal in all but 14 states, most of which are in the south and a few in the midwest....

It's legal here, but I don't get the impression too many people actually try it.  Catfish are well-known to be something you don't want to touch with your bare hands.  Plus people know that there are other things lurking around down there.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

First online seminar class today-- worked pretty well, though less discussion than in person unsurprisingly. All but 2 students showed up, students presented, everyone was patient and a good sport about things.

I let them share/vent for a while in the beginning. They mostly seem OK just stressed and the seniors are pretty sad about losing their last semester with friends here, and probably commencement.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

The parent of one of my students is her (large) school's go-to person for online learning.

She's been up every night until midnight just answering emails....

M.

polly_mer

polly_mer

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

backatit

Quote from: mamselle on March 12, 2020, 10:34:47 AM

Ewwwww!!!!!

M.

That they had to ban it tells you people actually do it. The thought of sticking my hand into a cave in Southern waters gives me the absolute creeps.