News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on September 17, 2024, 01:46:02 PM
Quote from: Puget on September 16, 2024, 03:04:48 PMTA, when I ask for times you are available for exam grading, providing me with times before the exam occurs is not at all helpful. Or perhaps you have a time machine?

Such a helpful TA to want to pre-grade all the exams!

I'm having to tell TAs that when class attendance for TAs is "required", that YES it means that the TAs have to be there in person.  Why? Because they are helping with in-class activities.  Promising to look at the slides after and "staying all caught up" is not acceptable.

Don't know what TAs are paid at your place, but I know from experience that it's often not enough to motivate dedicated service.  I recall from my TA days being paid a few cents an hour above minimum wage to grade for a class, but not to attend class and keep up with what was actually going on.  It was just understood that we would do that for free.  If you were at all diligent in taking care of class duties, you might well end up with an average hourly compensation below the then minimum wage.

We did it anyway, since it was expected.  Today's generation presumably can't be expected to respect norms like that. Can't say as they can be blamed with regard to that particular sort of professional norm.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Langue_doc

QuoteDon't know what TAs are paid at your place, but I know from experience that it's often not enough to motivate dedicated service.

TA-ing is a choice, as is enrolling in grad school. Not wanting to do the work they signed up for is the height of entitlement. Putting on the "woe is me, I didn't realize I had to do the work/follow protocols/follow a schedule/understand the requirements of the job" isn't likely to endear them to the professor or the department or earn them any LORs.

the_geneticist

Quote from: apl68 on September 18, 2024, 07:15:48 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on September 17, 2024, 01:46:02 PM
Quote from: Puget on September 16, 2024, 03:04:48 PMTA, when I ask for times you are available for exam grading, providing me with times before the exam occurs is not at all helpful. Or perhaps you have a time machine?

Such a helpful TA to want to pre-grade all the exams!

I'm having to tell TAs that when class attendance for TAs is "required", that YES it means that the TAs have to be there in person.  Why? Because they are helping with in-class activities.  Promising to look at the slides after and "staying all caught up" is not acceptable.

Don't know what TAs are paid at your place, but I know from experience that it's often not enough to motivate dedicated service.  I recall from my TA days being paid a few cents an hour above minimum wage to grade for a class, but not to attend class and keep up with what was actually going on.  It was just understood that we would do that for free.  If you were at all diligent in taking care of class duties, you might well end up with an average hourly compensation below the then minimum wage.

We did it anyway, since it was expected.  Today's generation presumably can't be expected to respect norms like that. Can't say as they can be blamed with regard to that particular sort of professional norm.

Ours are paid well (same or better than research only) and have a good union.  Their contract is very specific. I can reasonably expect "fulfills assigned duties".