News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ergative on May 20, 2022, 07:42:04 AM
My landlord is giving us notice to move out, and when I called my mother to vent about it my father got on the call and told me that the reason I was feeling down was because I needed to have my thyroid checked, and so my mood wasn't actually real.

Damn. Sorry you're dealing with this.

Antiphon1

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 20, 2022, 09:31:34 AM
My landlord is giving us notice to move out, and when I called my mother to vent about it my father got on the call and told me that the reason I was feeling down was because I needed to have my thyroid checked, and so my mood wasn't actually real.

Damn. Sorry you're dealing with this.

If my parents weren't decades in the grave, I'd call my siblings to offer assistance. 

Damn.  That sucks.

OneMoreYear

Wow, ergative! That is some championship-level invalidation right there. Not only do you not know why you are feeling upset, but you aren't actually upset at all!
Sending you a virtual beverage-of-choice.

apl68

Had to pick up more soiled diapers from the parking lot of the library first thing this morning.  Lately I've been seeing  a rash (so to speak) of them here and at the city park.  These abandonments usually take place within sight of a dumpster or other receptacle where the diapers could have been placed with a few more moments of effort.  I actually feel sorry for children with such slovenly parents.  It's small wonder we see so much litter of all kinds everywhere in our community.  Dropping stuff all over creation is evidently what many of our citizens have been taught since infancy.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

No chance they were properly placed in the dumpster and dragged out by an animal overnight, I suppose?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on May 21, 2022, 06:35:03 AM
No chance they were properly placed in the dumpster and dragged out by an animal overnight, I suppose?

M.

Unlikely the animal would have chosen that one particular item to drag across the parking lot.

I've also had to dispose of one that I found in my own yard!  Maybe that one was dragged around by an animal?  It might have fallen onto the street from a garbage truck.  Our trash collectors have a tendency to leave trails of fallen trash in their wake.  The city keeps having to use open trailers and trucks that aren't meant for hauling garbage as a stop gap when the old, worn-out garbage trucks go down.  They say they have proper replacement garbage trucks on order.  Meanwhile, I noticed once again this morning that they've been reduced to improvising.  No telling what we'll see lying around the streets by this afternoon.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We have mother f@#$@#$ing BEES in a wall of the house.

clean

QuoteWe have mother f@#$@#$ing BEES in a wall of the house.

Try to find a beekeeper to get the hive out.
IF you get an exterminator, make sure that they open the wall and take out the comb.  IF you kill the hive, but dont remove the hive, eventually, the comb will leak and then you will have more bugs to eat the leaked honey and imagine what a mess leaked honey will cause you inside a wall! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on May 23, 2022, 09:43:49 AM
QuoteWe have mother f@#$@#$ing BEES in a wall of the house.

Try to find a beekeeper to get the hive out.
IF you get an exterminator, make sure that they open the wall and take out the comb.  IF you kill the hive, but dont remove the hive, eventually, the comb will leak and then you will have more bugs to eat the leaked honey and imagine what a mess leaked honey will cause you inside a wall!

Yep. I've been calling them. Apparently it's very pricey to remove bees.

clean

Yes, I have heard that it can be expensive. The problem is that NOT removing the hive can be More Expensive!  It is not a simple matter of killing the insects alone. 

I suspect that it is even more expensive these days with the price of lumber! 

You can not really know ahead of time where they are and how big the hive may be.  So getting an idea of how extensive the repair will be ahead of time can be a problem.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

A friend of mine is an apist; there are local apirary clubs in many regions as well.

I somehow ran across a few of these at one point as well: people documenting how they took out hives and what some of the fun and not-so-fun elements were in the process--in Texas, Australia, and Louisiana:

https://youtu.be/rdRl6FN0nK4

and

https://youtu.be/blHLr5JGRMw

and

https://youtu.be/YgrTEKs47zA

Might be useful/offer some ideas/caveats, etc...

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on May 23, 2022, 10:20:18 AM

Yes, I have heard that it can be expensive. The problem is that NOT removing the hive can be More Expensive!  It is not a simple matter of killing the insects alone. 

I suspect that it is even more expensive these days with the price of lumber! 

You can not really know ahead of time where they are and how big the hive may be.  So getting an idea of how extensive the repair will be ahead of time can be a problem.

Honestly, I'm not worried about aesthetics at this point (assuming it's just fixing the siding)- they could slap some concrete on it to fill the hole for all I care. I'm concerned with functionality, structural integrity and keeping foreign animals/insects out of my home. :)

mamselle

Right, but they'll come back if you don't get them all...and clear the space fully.

Concrete won't be enough.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on May 23, 2022, 12:44:38 PM
Right, but they'll come back if you don't get them all...and clear the space fully.

Concrete won't be enough.

M.

I know. The company has a 5 year warranty.